Martial Law on Soapbox
Cant Stay Offline
From Sacramento, CA (USA)
Group:
村民 :: Villager
村長 :: Admin
議長 :: Mod
***** ATTENTION ALL KUTAKI MEMBERS! *****

Lately, the Soapbox has been a dumping ground for things which lack any sort of budo nutritional value - both in terms of being constructive and being professional.

This will cease as long as I am the Mod of this part of Kutaki.

Obvious slanderous attempts to create flame wars will no longer be tolerated. Violations of this will result in the following:

1. Small transgressions will get (1) one warning, after which the thread may be locked, deleted or just the individual post(s) may be deleted - depending on the overall value of the thread. But, I will not play surgeon and may just delete or lock the whole thing.

2. Larger offenses will cause the thread to be instantly deleted without comment.

3. If any value exists in a thread, but it is dangerously likely to cause problems, I may just lock it. But, only rare situations would fall into this catagory.

To be frank, I really believe there are many other forums out there who tolerate these things. Kutaki does not have to be like the others, since many of these kinds of posts and people are also on the other forums. You can go to their sites if such things interest you.

Thank you for your understanding and support. If you do not agree with any deletions or closures I make, you are welcome to PM me to prove your case. My decisions are not personal, so please do not take offense.

Happy training!

Posted on: 2007/3/9 1:37

I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, or in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. ~ Thomas Jefferson
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Martial Law on Soapbox
村長 :: Sonchou
From Chiba, Japan
Group:
Cool - will you be imposing a curfew as well?

Maybe you could clarify or give some specific examples of posts/behaviour that would fall under the categories you mentioned, to give villagers a better idea of where the lines are?

Shawn

Posted on: 2007/3/9 9:24

Cant Stay Offline
Group:
Quote:

kouryuu wrote:
Cool - will you be imposing a curfew as well?

Maybe you could clarify or give some specific examples of posts/behaviour that would fall under the categories you mentioned, to give villagers a better idea of where the lines are?

Shawn

LOL! I wonder how many people would benefit from less internet time... (me included!)

"Martial Law" sounds a bit corny, but I wanted something that would get people's attention.

Well, I don't want to go on a rant, but the latest threads to have popped up and been deleted are great examples - the first was an obvious attempt to "b" slap the Bujinkan with a sorry excuse for a challenge video. The second was a botched and rediculous attempt to somehow 'prove' Takamatsu made up ryuha. These serve no productive purpose in the study of Bujinkan Budo Taijutsu and are catalysts in starting the immature bickering you see happening in other forums.

Legitimate questions or comments that are not designed to insult anybody, but are actual attempts to gather real information are good. Questions which, by their very nature and by the obvious intent of the one asking, insult Soke, the Bujinkan or really anybody are examples of the kinds of things which bring down the professional level of this site.

However, questions and/or comments made by someone who is just inexperienced or just doesn't know better is a different matter. Its how they are handled that will show how we are as professional martial artists.

The specific examples of what I'm concerned about are various and anybody who spends any amount of time on some of the other more controversial sites like Bullshido will see what I'm getting at. Those places are out there if anybody wants to engage in that sort of dialogue, but really I have never seen anything constructive come out of it. I also don't think Kutaki would lose anything of value if those kinds of participants took their business elsewhere instead of splaying it all out here.

If any of the other Moderators or Forum Owners (*ahem!*) would like to also elaborate or clarify, I would surely welcome it. I just want to keep my little spot on Kutaki a place that's healthy and productive for our members and guests, much like I would my own home and dojo.

It certainly isn't a 'black and white' issue, but the extreme examples are very obvious when they arise. Deletions would happen in those circumstances. For those which are 'in the grey area', maybe some editing or simple warnings are all that is needed. Either way, I am going to try and be far more vigilant.

As forum owner, Shawn, you are always welcome to PM me with your thoughts and direction. This is, after all, your vessel and I'm just trying to steer one of many rudders.

Cheers!

Posted on: 2007/3/9 9:48

I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, or in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. ~ Thomas Jefferson

From Chiba, Japan
Group:
I think you're doing a great job, and its your Soapbox to moderate, so I don't really need to impose myself. I was just trying to tease some more specifics out of you with regard to the posting guidelines for the sake of people who might not be too clear on where the lines are.

Keep going,

Shawn

Posted on: 2007/3/9 9:56

From Budapest - Hungary
Group:
To tell the truth I am very happy that at last someone took this step and takes things in his hands.
I have never believed in uncontrolled democracy and this forum proves my doubts very well.
Although this forum has a lot ot offer and I got so many great things from it that imrpoved my "Bujinkan life", still it needs strict hands of a watchful gardener who makes sure this garden won't get weedy.

I fully support Darren's way of moderation and I hope it will help improving the quality of the site (not that it's so bad now ) and the Community which has grown out of it.

Quote:

Darren wrote:
It certainly isn't a 'black and white' issue, but the extreme examples are very obvious when they arise. Deletions would happen in those circumstances. For those which are 'in the grey area', maybe some editing or simple warnings are all that is needed.

By the way, I think everything on this form is in the "Gray" area

Eva

Posted on: 2007/3/9 16:53

Village Old Timer
From Dayton, Ohio
Group:
I believe that moderators are supposed to moderate. You did good work today and the removed post was trash. I guess you will continue to do a good job unless you remove one of my posts - but you did remove my reply! Nothing lost on that one.

I have always apreciated your efforts in the past.

Thanks

Marty

Posted on: 2007/3/9 18:21

Kutaki Postmaster
From 埼玉県、春日部市、日本
Group:
Speaking of martial law... I have made a mistake and posted a somewhat mean post. How do I edit it, or should I just live with the shame...
It seems that I waited to long before I noticed how mean it actually was...

Rob

Maybe I should just live with the shame, It might be good for the soul. :)

Posted on: 2007/3/9 19:56

From Brussels
Group:
You will have to live with the shame.
Next time, think twice before writing...

Cheers,

Jan

Posted on: 2007/3/10 1:04

‘It is only when the eyes and the brain get exhausted that there are no lies and you can get the truth’ Thomas Hirschhorn

Cant Stay Offline
Group:
Thanks, friends, for your kind words here and on PM's - I really do believe the 'core' of Kutaki is a dynamic group of real buyu, which is why I've pledged my continued involvement and support.

Like I've said before, even through all our differences, friendship has to be first. At least it is for me and, as it seems, with the core of the Kutaki community.

I hope to personally meet all of you someday. This one dimensional online chatting is so impersonal - and typing is such a bother...

Regarding editing of posts - if anybody wants a post reworded, edited or removed, please PM with the thread title and post number, with a corrected version of what you want. I'll copy/paste your cleaner version over your old one, or remove the post entirely if that's what you wish.

We all are responsible to keep our own postings neat and tidy. I am happy to help you with that if any 'second thoughts' happen to come along. As with the rest of you, however, my time is limited. So, I cannot be anybody's personal editor for little fixes, so please only do this in the more extreme circumstances.

If you do make a statement that you later realize is a mistake or maybe insults somebody (whether on purpose or by accident), I think it is better to simply apologize and move on. Sometimes the best way to gain credibility is not to hide mistakes, but admit them and make amends. I know I've done that on occasion here.

Cheers!

Posted on: 2007/3/10 1:05

Kutaki Postmaster
From 埼玉県、春日部市、日本
Group:
Thanks for the offer Darren, but I think it would be better if I just left the post as is... Jan you are completely right, but I thought one thing, then I thought another, and yet had a different thought. But, a little shame may go a long way. Right? Maybe? Ah! Shucks ! I`ll just hang my head for awhile... I suppose.

Thanks
Rob

Posted on: 2007/3/10 1:15

(1) 2 3 »

[Advanced Search]

Today's Sponsor