« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Martial Law on Soapbox
Cant Stay Offline
From Sacramento, CA (USA)
Group:
村民 :: Villager
村長 :: Admin
議長 :: Mod
Hey, we all make mistakes - me included! (GASP!)

Admitting and apologizing is better than trying to hide them. It also is a great credibility builder and shows that we all are just as human as the next person.

Cheers!

Posted on: 2007/3/10 1:18

I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, or in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. ~ Thomas Jefferson
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Cant Stay Offline
From Pennsylvania, USA
Group:
師導士会 :: Shidoshikai
Hey Darren, I LIKE those rules. They make a lot of sense to me. Go with it!

Posted on: 2007/3/12 16:43

Permanent Village Fixture
From Centerville, Ohio
Group:
I've always liked your moderating and I've always felt bad for being one of the people to complain about your soldier avatar and "lets roll" line in your signature. That was petty of me.

I know you've probably been losing a lot of sleep waiting for my approval on your moderating efforts...

But seriously I think the environment on Kutaki is wonderful and it really does remind me more of what in-person conversation is like than any other forum. There are very few people who are out and out rude in person and very many who are that way on the internet.

Posted on: 2007/3/12 17:33

Deleted_
You should change the description of the sub-forum if you are planning on moderating heavily.

Soapboxes are traditionally fairly light in moderation. Deciding to act/react to recent events shouldn't change the intended purpose of a sub-forum, should it?

If you want to know my feelings (not that you do) -- I think that heavy moderation is one of the stronger, clearer symptoms of cult-mentality. I always lean towards less rules and more responsibility (heck - half of us training like this art because of the informality of our training... why would you expect everyone to want rules online?).

And on a second note -- if people are insecure about a poster or two that throw legitimate challenges our way... Someday you are going to be faced with fellow Martial Artists who think you have spent a portion of your life playing make-believe ninja-tastic games. Better to do some growing up here than to have to deal with the consequences of having no answer in RL. Everyone would do well to understand this better (gasp - some of what the baiting crowd says is remarkably accurate (it wouldn't be a bait if it were completely untrue)).

Oh well. This is for naught I suspect. I just thought someone should give another viewpoint.

Delete as you want.

-DW

Posted on: 2007/3/13 3:55

Cant Stay Offline
Group:
Hi Daniel,

Hey, you know we are friends and I always respect your viewpoints, even if playing devil's advocate against me (which is always fun).

I am not saying I plan to do any kind of 'cult-like' censorship. Also, as you say, "Soapbox" is generally less moderated only in the sense that people can talk about whatever they generally want. But, that also doesn't mean people can just say things likely to cause trouble without any sort of control, either.

Having spent much time on different forums, you know what I mean when I say there are certain people, comments and questions which have the absolute purpose of only causing trouble. The intent behind the words is very evident with these things and I only wish to avoid the fallout of those circumstances.

I'm not talking about deleting contradictory opinions, or those with 'productively fresh' viewpoints, but rather to clean up the unnecessary rubbish to make those things more appreciated and valuable.

Besides, there's always PM's if anybody has anything particularly targeted towards any individual or conversations which could cause problems if presented in a public format.

On the subject of your second note, I don't see a refusal to let a rediculously, obvious baited challenge be posted as any sign of not 'growing up'. Quite the contrary - to not bother getting into quibbling debates that go nowhere shows a level of maturity higher than those seeking such things (in my opinion). From the PM's and posts I've received thus far, I'd say it's also in fitting with the wishes of the Kutaki 'core' family. Those other sites present those opportunities if anybody wishes to engage in those things.

I've yet to have anybody change their opinions of the Bujinkan over an internet 'challenge', but I've known quite a number of people who've changed their opinions after training with Bujinkan people (both good and bad).

Posted on: 2007/3/13 4:22

I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, or in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. ~ Thomas Jefferson

Deleted_
Quote:

Darren wrote:
Hi Daniel,

Hey, you know we are friends and I always respect your viewpoints, even if playing devil's advocate against me (which is always fun).

Agreed my friend. :)

Quote:

Darren wrote:

On the subject of your second note, I don't see a refusal to let a rediculously, obvious baited challenge be posted as any sign of not 'growing up'. Quite the contrary - to not bother getting into quibbling debates that go nowhere shows a level of maturity higher than those seeking such things (in my opinion). From the PM's and posts I've received thus far, I'd say it's also in fitting with the wishes of the Kutaki 'core' family. Those other sites present those opportunities if anybody wishes to engage in those things.

We are on the same page here. This is just like real life :: there are times to put up or shut up, and other times to just sit back and drink your beer.

I find that most people vote with their mouse and keyboard (if you want to get involved... then the pool is big enough -- and if you don't, then no one is forcing you to click on the thread... right?)

Honestly though, there is a new disturbing trend of fingers-in-their-ears, "LALALALALALALA" when it comes to some of the baiting points. They are decent points that some should have at least THOUGHT about. There are far too many people who rely on someone else to do their thinking for them...

Anyway -- hope this helps clarify my position.

-DW

Posted on: 2007/3/13 8:57

Cant Stay Offline
Group:
Quote:

TenChiJin Guy wrote:
Honestly though, there is a new disturbing trend of fingers-in-their-ears, "LALALALALALALA" when it comes to some of the baiting points. They are decent points that some should have at least THOUGHT about. There are far too many people who rely on someone else to do their thinking for them...
-DW

Brutally true... There's also a disturbing trend of big mouthed little spitwads who get their underdeveloped jollies out of spewing out things that in real life would get them a blinding smack across the nose. Hiding behind their keyboards makes them 'safe' from such accountability and recourse.

As far as fresh approaches to things, however, I'm always game to play around with anybody from any art. There's no winner or loser, per se, but rather just an exploration of concepts and ideas. If we both walk away as friends and having learned something useful, then we both have won - regardless of who was pinned or who got what hit in where.

For me, that concept applies in both discussions and in actual training.

If that same thing can happen in this Soapbox forum, then I welcome it with both arms.

But, maybe that's just me...

Posted on: 2007/3/13 9:32

breathing life into dead thread
Village Old Timer
From Matsudo City, Chiba, Japan
Group:
Someone brilliant (Osmie, if you want to look her up) on Livejournal has come up with a rather cool way of responding to a good post -

BTP;NTA means "What a Brilliant and Thoughtful Post! I can't think of anything to add".

I challenge folks on Kutaki to provoke BTP; NTA responses.

ever optimistic erizabesu

Posted on: 2007/12/14 21:00

Re: breathing life into dead thread
Cant Stay Offline
From Hamina, Finland
Group:
師導士会 :: Shidoshikai
BTP;NTA

(But is that meant to be used as a positive thing or a negative one... or... maybe that is just the point )

Posted on: 2007/12/14 21:55
(Bujinkan Budōka since 1985)

Unsubscribed
Deleted_Unsubscribed
a long time coming , but a great step in a good direction .
thank you

Posted on: 2007/12/15 8:06

« 1 (2) 3 »

[Advanced Search]

Today's Sponsor