fskopfpatro
Kito Ryu Ten No Maki 16 2017/12/11 12:40
fskopfpatro
Anyone tried Rosetta Stone? 20 2017/12/10 13:18
fskopfpatro
BladesPro 14 2017/12/9 17:45
fskopfpatro

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

When does culture shock and Training Shock let up!
Kutaki Postmaster
From 埼玉県、春日部市、日本
Group:
村民 :: Villager
I`ve been in Japan and training regularly at the Hombu since Sept. I am kinda over the culture shock for the most part, but i have been experiencing training shock, only recently have I become a little more comfortable with the training conditions in Japan. Mostly do with the dojo I try to visit very week outside the Hombu. Without training at this other wonderful dojo, I would have gone mad... Training at the Hombu some weeks are terribly difficult with the crowds amoung other things - are Fridays better than Sundays, or are Tuesdays the best way to go.

Has anyone else experienced a sort of training shock?

Rob

Posted on: 2007/3/20 22:45
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: When does culture shock and Training Shock let up!
Village Old Timer
Group:
議長 :: Mod
Quote:

Robert J. Hartung wrote:

Has anyone else experienced a sort of training shock?

Rob

Yes. I find that the training actually increased the amount of time I thought it would take to get over the culture shock. I spent most of my time outside of work and home in a dojo where I didn't have to speak/act japanese either.

Posted on: 2007/3/20 23:29

Kutaki Postmaster
From 埼玉県、春日部市、日本
Group:
Culture shock is a messy thing, I actualy think one reason I have been on these message boards so much lately is to counter-act the feelings of culture shock. ]

Are you over your culture shock or does it still lurk around.

Thanks for the reply.

Rob

Posted on: 2007/3/20 23:47

Village Old Timer
Group:
I am over it. I am comfortable with my role here. Although, my struggle with the language still makes things difficult for me at times. My first two months were rough. I went to training all the time, but hadn't found a job yet. So I didn't have much to occupy myself with. I was almost ready to pack it up and head home, but I told myself to '頑張ります' and shortly thereafter found a job.

Posted on: 2007/3/21 0:15

Village Old Timer
From Matsudo City, Chiba, Japan
Group:
Culture shock and adjustment cycles for some people. This week, you're feeling so excited about all the new, cool things out there, and next week you're hit by a freight train of stuff you didn't know you had to adjust to. This swinging back and forth could take you a few months or even a year to feel comfortable with. But as time goes by, your repertoire of language and cultural skills grows, begins to feel natural, and you find your balance. Or you just settle on unbalance, and be at peace with it.

Like Syd, I found that the dojo was an intermediate place between west and east because of the people mix. There is always someone who 'speaks your language' - the shihans support you with their training and philosophy, your peers speak common language(s) and reflect the culture(s) you come from.

Three things that made life in Japan better for me - learning to understand spoken Japanese so that I can communicate with coworkers and friends, learning to read so I could handle my own bills and read what I want to, getting a walkman so I can tune out the talk on the trains, and journaling what I'm experiencing both on the mat and in the world.

Posted on: 2007/3/22 10:45

Cant Stay Offline
From Hamina, Finland
Group:
師導士会 :: Shidoshikai
And then, once one return to homeland... another culture shock... Talking about in the training. I remember my own 1st return from Japan; "Wow! We trained like this before???!!!???"

Posted on: 2007/3/22 18:14
(Bujinkan Budōka since 1985)

Villager
From USA, PA
Group:
Gaijin (Inactive)
Hi Robert,
I think there is an initial culture shock, this is the immediate impact of being in a totally new environment. Not being familiar with places, names, faces etc is immediately obvious. But then after the initial wave comes the 'surge'. This is a seemingly endless swathe of sometimes subtle differences. The main problem being that what you are experiencing is nothing like you expected when you had the great idea to immerse yourself in a foreign culture.
I believe that is the key point with training too, it is not what you expected right? Yes there are so many visitors, yes there is no room, no you aren't getting personalised tuition from the top, no you haven't suddenly jumped in understanding, yes you are more lost than ever. But honestly, with the 20/20 power of hindsight is that really a suprise? Two friends of mine left training within a year of visiting Japan. Why? I believe because the reality was too much.
Also maybe what you are experiencing is actually an important stage in your development? Did you think of that? There are a lot of great people who have done what you are doing and survived, have you sought them out and asked for help? No shame in that.
Good luck.

Posted on: 2007/3/24 0:20

Kutaki Postmaster
From 埼玉県、春日部市、日本
Group:
Actually, I have been talking to quite a few people about it lately and they have been extremelyand I do have a somewhat personal attention from some shihans, and some of the lifers here, so training is not bad at all, just sometimes a little overwhelming. But, basically "it`s getting better all the time".

Rob

Thanks for the posts everyone, you have been extremely helpful.

Posted on: 2007/3/24 21:47

Just Passing Through
Group:
Mod Note: This post has been sent to the Abyss because it was off-topic and disrespectful. Please think a little bit harder before you post. Thanks.

Posted on: 2007/3/27 21:32

Kutaki Postmaster
From 埼玉県、春日部市、日本
Group:
Who is "Hats"? I seriously hope you aren't refering to Hatsumi Sensei? It seems a little rude don't you think (if you are refering to him in the first place)?

Rob

P.S. Your post is not related to the thread in any way.

Posted on: 2007/3/28 14:17

[Advanced Search]

Today's Sponsor