Socialize

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 4 ... 6 »

A Question of authority?
Active Kutakian
From New York
Group:
村民 :: Villager
With all the recent banter on/about topics that can and cant be taught, to whom and by whom, my question centers on who has jurisdiction over who, and in what countries does that authority cover, are we here in the US not covered by our own senior ranking Shihan, Or is there some other world ranking structure we should know about, rather than a geographical one, just curious.
At tenth dan and above are we not answerable to Soke and thats it, while paying all the required respect to the senior Japanese Shihan aswell, just my 2 cents, for me theres only the one Boss, and a number senior cadre,and that the way its been for over 20 years now, and guess what, its going to remain that way, and when the time comes, maybe it will be time to fade to grey for another century or two.......as always Regards.

Posted on: 2007/4/7 6:49

If "Nothing" works-then do "it".

The Art Is Alive, when the practice of living transcends the art..So Live It, Dont Just Practice it..!

Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: A Question of authority?
Active Kutakian
From Sydney, Australia
Group:
In Australia, Ed Lomax is the recognised head and representitive of Bujinkan for Hatsumi-Sensei. Not sure how it is in other countries.

Posted on: 2007/4/7 9:06

Village Old Timer
Group:
議長 :: Mod
Quote:

deancrabb wrote:
In Australia, Ed Lomax is the recognised head and representitive of Bujinkan for Hatsumi-Sensei. Not sure how it is in other countries.

What kind of 'recognition' are we talking about here?

Posted on: 2007/4/7 9:53

Active Kutakian
From New York
Group:
Well I'm not trying to be the divil's advocate here, so I will stay within my own jurisdiction with this comment , to my knowledge there is no distinct head of the BooJ in the USA, as that would signify only one shihan with the the rank of 15th dan, to my knowledge there may actually be over 20 plus with that rank here, so by that rationale do we have or create a form of governing body overseeing the booj here in the states and likewise within each country, if you say that there is a head of the Booj in Oz, then I can only take your word for it, if there is such a head here in the states and Im informed of it, then I will stand corrected....

Posted on: 2007/4/7 10:09

The Art Is Alive, when the practice of living transcends the art..So Live It, Dont Just Practice it..!

Active Kutakian
From Sydney, Australia
Group:
Quote:

benkyoka wrote:
Quote:

deancrabb wrote:

What kind of 'recognition' are we talking about here?

Just as I said, he is the recognised head in Australia. If you were to ask someone, who is the recognised head of Bunjinkan in Australia? You'd get the response "Ed Lomax". There are many Shihan but Ed is recognised as the representative for Hatsumi-Sensei in Australia. That's just how it is.

Posted on: 2007/4/7 12:38

Active Kutakian
From New York
Group:
Ok so your saying that since you have a 15th dan Shihan in your country he is the defacto head of the Booj in Austrailia, well then what happens when there are two or more with 15th dan, what then, alternate years being the head or tossing a coin, deferring to the older shihan, the one that got it first, obliquely, ever circuitously, coming to the point, as always.....M

Posted on: 2007/4/7 13:27

Permanent Village Fixture
From Centerville, Ohio
Group:
Unless I'm completely wrong here, I could name three fifteenth dans from Down Under.

I've wondered at this question before as well. My answer to myself was always that the structure is as Hatsumi wishes it, and if there was to be any de facto head in the USA, he would have designated them so.

Posted on: 2007/4/7 13:35

Active Kutakian
From New York
Group:
My point exactly, do we pay lipservice to all 15th dans here in the States and around the world, or just the ones we agree with, do we need some ground rules i.e longest in the booj training , or who was graded first, who was a blackbelt first, where does it end, or more importantly where do we begin.....

Posted on: 2007/4/7 13:40

Cant Stay Offline
From Pennsylvania, USA
Group:
議長 :: Mod
師導士会 :: Shidoshikai
This thing about saying that the rank determines "who is in Charge" is pointless. First of all just being 15th dan does not mean you know it all, none of us do! Next a leader only leads because he/she has proven to those that chose to follow that his leadership is both good and fair. I would think it much better to be working on networking with all the upper ranks so that there is a consensus on what is acceptible. That idea on what is "acceptable" is not too difficult as it is based on common human courtesy and respect. ALL of us have a contribution to make to our COMMON good. We also all have a contribution in the "skill" department as all of us are different even though it is based on the same principles.

Posted on: 2007/4/7 14:35

Permanent Village Fixture
From No. Cal., USA
Group:
Mr. Guest,
What an interesting question you posed. In the few years I have been training I've indirectly witnessed more than a couple of people who claimed to be duely embued with Sensei's authority make self-righteous proclamations only to lose face, and in at least one case, slink into oblivion.

It's not at all ironic that the above-mentioned people wanted to lead but lacked the respect to do it by example and not by parental decree.

Beyond the existing hierarchical structure that begins with Hatsumi sensei followed by his Japanese shihan, I wonder if there is a legitimate reason not to seriously scrutinize the motives of anyone trying to impose additional structure on an organization that primarily exists in people's imaginations.

Posted on: 2007/4/7 18:19

(1) 2 3 4 ... 6 »

[Advanced Search]

Today's Sponsor