But work and suffer their laughter.

Posted on: 2007/4/21 5:57
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: My friend the machine?
Permanent Village Fixture
From No. Cal., USA
Group:
村民 :: Villager
I'd like to help you with your very heavy slavery predicament, but perhaps you could help me by answering a couple of questions:

Are you describing some sort of laughing machine?

If so, does this machine have other functions such as programmed viewing, drilling, or grilling?

If the man who controlled the machine was always too slow, how was he able to use the machine to enslave you?

Is the work the real problem or is it the indignity of being laughed at while performing assigned tasks?

(wink).

Posted on: 2007/4/21 17:36

Villager
From USA, PA
Group:
Gaijin (Inactive)
Quote:
I'd like to help you with your very heavy slavery predicament, but perhaps you could help me by answering a couple of questions:

That's very generous of you, for a moment I thought you were going to snipe at my poetic efforts. However I fear I am beyond help.

Quote:
Are you describing some sort of laughing machine?

No, not in a physical sense, but in the sense that at some times you may irrationally feel that an inanimate object is laughing at you, or that you deserve to be laughed at for making a silly mistake.

Quote:
If so, does this machine have other functions such as programmed viewing, drilling, or grilling?

The machine can be of various purposes, a plough is a good classic example, a computer is a very current and modern example.

Quote:
If the man who controlled the machine was always too slow, how was he able to use the machine to enslave you?

Well here we are getting to the real point of the message. Take the plough example, the plough allowed me to be more efficient at my crop growing, but after a while I got careless and my livelihood started to depend upon the plough and its benefits. When I could not plough and when it broke it was very dramatic to my finances. I became dependant to the machine. I hired a man with my spare money to plough all hours he could, I also needed him to maintain and rebuild the plough frequently. This solved a few problems but soon he wanted his share of the profit and threatened to leave, and by this time I had lost my plough skill too. Furthermore advancements in plough technology kept giving him excuses, suddenly I found I had to not only pay him to work, but pay for the latest in plough technology. The more he advised me the more money he wanted by the way. I became dependant on both the man and the machine. So my plan to be rich and masterful backfired, I had more stress and more problems to deal with and work was worse than ever. I think you can spin a similar camp fire yarn with computers systems too.

Quote:
Is the work the real problem or is it the indignity of being laughed at while performing assigned tasks?

The work is a problem because I used to enjoy the work and now I hate it. But being laughed at refers to the paranoia that came after. Either way both are a problem.

Anyway, in case you wondered from the plough reference I am not Amish or anything like that. I was just making a cynical and hopefuly comical observation that if you are not careful, if you try and enslave something you may end up being it's slave instead. I try and be subtle, but crap as they are all my poems have a story.

Posted on: 2007/4/24 3:42

From No. Cal., USA
Group:
I liked the poem and the analysis. Hey, it makes an interesting deconstruction too. The more I think about my relationship to my computer, the more your poem rings true. Slavery is alive and well in this culture.

Posted on: 2007/4/24 14:25

Just Passing Through
Group:
I married a women to be my slave,
But the slave became my master.
I made more money to control the women,
But the women spent it faster.
Now I am a slave to my job and women,
My life is a total disaster.
What is there that I can now do,
But work and suffer her laughter.

Haiku
B Stacey

Posted on: 2007/4/25 15:57
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

From No. Cal., USA
Group:
OK (I hope the married-for-purposes-of-slavery bit was a dramatic device).

Here's a stab...

I needed some help in the lab
with no funds for pay
I took an undergrad intern: 4 hours/2 days
I'll teach, she'll learn
quid pro quo?

she fouled my pipettes
wasted time on the net
to make matters worse
constantly talked on her phone

but when she didn't give a reason for not showing up two weeks in a row...

she couldn't be reached.

Amazing: she's less flaky than I was!

Posted on: 2007/4/26 3:23

[Advanced Search]

Today's Sponsor