Recent Topics

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

alone training
Just Passing Through
From lemoore ca USA
Group:
村民 :: Villager
first off thankyou for taking the time out of your day to read this post.

I currently hold a shodan rank in the bujinkan. i joined the military some time ago and now i am without a teacher. i have read many accounts of people training alone and comeing away from it with much more then if they had partners. but i never can find a guide to go by. so if anyone knows what technics can be trained by ones self with improvement can you please share.

and yes i have looked for other schools/teachers in my "new" area and the closest is 4 hours away. thankyou agian for you time and help.

Posted on: 2007/5/5 3:57
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: alone training
Cant Stay Offline
From Sacramento, CA (USA)
Group:
村長 :: Admin
議長 :: Mod
Hi Bret,

First, let me say "thank you" for your service. The best times of my life were from my military experiences...

On the forum main page, you'll notice a sub-forum titled "Training Alone", moderated by my friend Eva. I recommend spending some down time browsing the many, many threads in that section. You'll find lots of valuable insights, tips and suggestions which will help you keep yourself busy. You'll also notice different people have different ideas on the subject, so you'll have to just to find what is best for you.

Have you contacted your shidoshi who awarded you the Shodan and asked him/her what you can do? I ask this because you should have developed a strong enough relationship for them to know just what you personally need to stay focused on. Also, regular correspondence with them would prove valuable in keeping yourself motivated and working on the right things. I stress constantly the value of working with those who know you, over just having the skeleton of techniques and trying to go it alone. So, even at a distance, having a personal mentor, someone experienced who knows your taijutsu, is an important element.

Lastly, my suggestion is to do anything which keeps you safe, happy and healthy.

Best wishes on your journey!

Posted on: 2007/5/5 4:48

I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, or in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. ~ Thomas Jefferson

Just Passing Through
From lemoore ca USA
Group:
thankyou very much and i will look into thouse posts. the great thing about me and my shidoshi is that we trained one on one for about 5 years so we both know each others strengths and weaknesses very well. but in doing that what happened was that my "style" was formed primarly around HIS weaknesses. so i am trying really hard to incorperate some diversity into my "style". and with trying to do that then i need direction from others. thankyou agian.

Posted on: 2007/5/5 6:46

Cant Stay Offline
From Sacramento, CA (USA)
Group:
Bret,

With respect to your enthusiastic pursuits, I strongly caution your approach. If your shidoshi was also training regular with his senior, then those weaknesses you described would surely be addressed. As he evolves, so should you. If those weaknesses are things only you have noticed, then are they really weaknesses - or are they only perceived weaknesses? I agree, 1 on 1 training has its drawbacks, which is why you need to constantly have different uke to train with.

I'm an advocate of people getting out and training with various shidoshi/shihan, too, because they all have different pieces of the puzzle and nobody holds all the answers. But, it does take seeking out and training with those people to discover those things - and the hunt is often more important than the catch.

Your original request was for tips or advice on solo training, because no other instructor was within reasonable distance. This is different than 'getting out' and training with others for 'diversity'.

I would caution not to lean on your own understanding, or limit yourself to trying to tell if you are getting it or not. If you are solo training, even at shodan, you do not yet have the eyes to see these things. This is why shodan is often described as the starting point for being a real student, in my opinion.

I would urge you to make the travel, even if 4 hours away, and develop that vital relationship with a shidoshi/shihan. Even if you spend one training event with him/her every month or so, you'll have some kind of point of reference to keep yourself from going off in wrong directions.

No man is an island - make a point to balance your solo training with seeking out and developing training relationships with the right people. Forums don't count.

Just my honest advice... Best o' luck!

Posted on: 2007/5/5 7:14

I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, or in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. ~ Thomas Jefferson

村長 :: Sonchou
From Chiba, Japan
Group:
This thread has been moved to the Training Alone forum.

Shawn

Posted on: 2007/5/5 9:18

Honorary Villager
From Ibaraki-ken
Group:
I live about 3 hours away from the nearest shihan, and I can back up Darren`s great advice to make the trip. Even if it is only once a week, as I am doing now, it is vital to make that relationship and get the feeling of good training from a senior. Extended periods of training alone can serve to solidify bad habits which are not as easily unlearned. Even occasional training with a shidoshi is helpful to your training alone so you can go `play` whith what you ahve learned in your solo training.

In terms of actual things to train, I must admit, lately I have been a little remiss. However, ukemi is something that is so important and easy to train alone. Practice ukemi on different surfaces, from different heights, with different clothes and accessories (I mean books, bags, swords etc). Things learned from ukemi (such as balance, and weight transfer, effecient body movement and muscle useage) can be practices all the time, like while waiting for the bus, or on the train.

Other simple things such as the sanshin no kata or kihon happo can become as complicated as you want them. Practicing with you eyes closed, in confined spaces, with weights on different parts of your body, with different weapons etc can be helpful in training that will help you to be able to react in any situation at any time.
anyways, these are just some thoughts, and since I`m pretty new, take them or discard them as you will, just my 2cents worth.

Tim
(yay, my first `real` post in a long time!)

Posted on: 2007/5/7 16:32

Cant Stay Offline
From Hamina, Finland
Group:
師導士会 :: Shidoshikai
A Shihan once gave me advice on this "long distance training"... Meet with the teacher at least twice a month! This should keep one in motion for the time in between; getting corrected on mistakes, and getting new things to work on.

PS. when I started training the nearest Shidôshi lived in another country..... sadly I have to admit I was unable to get to him twice a month

Posted on: 2007/5/7 17:04
(Bujinkan Budōka since 1985)

From Budapest - Hungary
Group:
Quote:

Yamazu wrote:

PS. when I started training the nearest Shidôshi lived in another country..... sadly I have to admit I was unable to get to him twice a month

I think many of us were in the same shoes and I am glad to see that many of them "survived" and are still in the art, helping the next generations

Eva

Posted on: 2007/5/7 21:56

Just Passing Through
Group:
HI BRETT,

I WAS READING YOUR VALID REQUEST. I AM A NEW SHIHAN AS OF LAST YEAR, AND I AM BEGINNING TO ORGANIZE A DOJO. IF I CAN BE OF ANY ASSISTANCE, PLEASE LET ME KNOW.

IN THE MEANTIME, I SEE LEMORE, CALIFORNIA IS ABOUT 40 MILES FROM FRESNO, CALIFORNIA. AS ANOTHER HAS MENTIONED, THE DISTANCE IS USUALLY WOTHWHILE, CONSIDERING MOST OF US SHIDOSHI'S TRAVEL ALL THE WAY TO NODA ON YEARLY BASIS.

ONE OTHER POINT, HATSUMI SOKE'S VIDEO'S, PEDRO FLEITAS, ARNAUD'S, MOTI'S, SVERNIC'S, EVEN ED MARTIN OR DICK SEVERANCE VIDEO'S - ANY OF THESE OUTSTANDING 15TH DAN'S ARE WORTH YOU SEEING TO ABSORB THE FEELING OF HATSUMI.

BEST WISHES,

EAGLENINJA IN CALIFORNIA

Posted on: 2007/5/24 8:28

From Budapest - Hungary
Group:
Dear Luis-Jorge,

Welcome to the Village!

A small request: please do not use capitals in the whole post, it implies as if you were shouting
Thank you!

Eva

Posted on: 2007/5/24 16:57

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Today's Sponsor