Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: Madmen
Active Kutakian
From Cambridge, England
Group:
村民 :: Villager
Quote:
I'm totally lost on that one... anyone care to fill me in on the joke?

I assumed it was something to do with the road gang image in the mad max picture - motorcycle gloves and knives may bring up the association of a rough bar or street gang, in contrast to the more common ascetic discussions sometimes seen.

Posted on: 2003/2/7 23:45

Re: Knives and motorcycle gloves
Frequent Visitor
Group:
Quote:

Pettersen wrote:
1: Weapons is not contributing to de-emphasizing the situation but rather tend to escalate the violence of the situation. (If you draw blades the other one might draw guns).

I agree. A big part of carrying a knife is knowing when to draw it.

Quote:
2: If you draw a weapon you have to be prepared to use it - and use it momentarily.

Again, I agree. Its use in extreme cases I THINK I am mentally prepared for. I cannot stress THINK enough, especially after reading the book "On Killing" by Lt. Col. Grossman. I do not KNOW, after all, as I have yet be placed in that situation. I am not foolish enough to confuse THINK with KNOW - the latter comes from firsthand experience while the former is nothing more than pale conjecture on my part. All I can do is prepare myself like a good Boy Scout.

Quote:
4: Hatsumi Sensei said that you only need a weapon if you are weak (Ura&Omote).

He's said a lot of things. Some of which I agree with, and some of which I don't. I also think that a lot of people place too much of their own interpretations on what he is saying, rather than paying attention what he is actually saying.

Quote:
Besides - a knife is an excellent tool as well as a weapon.

I heartily agree with this assessment. My previous carry was a Spyderco Rescue Jr., which, for those people who do not know what kind of knife it is, is a serrated blade without a point. The purpose of the tool was to cut away seat belts and clothing of accident victims without accidently stabbing them. It is my understanding that slashing maims and stabbing kills, GENERALLY. If I was carrying a knife that was designed to save lives and is relatively ineffective at stabbing (killing), then does it make sense that I carry the item as a weapon rather than a tool?

Posted on: 2003/2/8 1:28
http://www.ntcofcanada.com/
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Knives and motorcycle gloves
Deleted_
Functionality is good. Whenever I head out bush I pack a Swiss army knife or a Leatherman. Unfortunately not very good at the quick draw... but great at opening cans of beans!

I've never killed a human, but I have some chickens, rabbits, kangaroos etc. Didn't like it much.

Posted on: 2003/2/8 7:07

Max Madmen
Just Passing Through
Group:
Leather, motorcycles, knives... All fits in a Mad, mad, mad, mad, mad Max world!

Brian Ferrenz

PS Mad Max 2, I think.

Posted on: 2003/2/8 22:51

Re: Max Madmen
Kutaki Postmaster
From Columbus, ohio
Group:
Id like to take a "stab" at this one if I could..heheh. Not to make to fine of a "point", but anyway you "slice" it, our training does involve dealing with knives, but I think the original message walks a very fine "edge" and I would hate for anyone to fall off it. well it's been fun , hope everybody has a "knife" day...heheh

Posted on: 2003/2/12 2:47

« 1 (2)

[Advanced Search]

Today's Sponsor