Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 ... 9 10 11 (12)

Re: The "kata collector" label
Permanent Village Fixture
From Centerville, Ohio
Group:
村民 :: Villager
Quote:
There is a pretty GOOD chance that I have spent more hours (or damn near as many hours) than you have "training" in the Bujinkan.

Dear Mr. Weidman,
You can sit in a garage all day and it won't make you a car. Before you misinterpret, I'm implying that you may be doing the wrong thing if you find yourself in direct contrast with the highest ranks in the art. People do not find success by accident.

To say that the kata are not meant for children because you struggle with them is an inappropriate assumption. If you had never learned English or to talk at all, you would find yourself NEVER learning it if you started after age 15. You simply wouldn't be capable. Learning to speak is an incredibly complex task that frankly adults are incapable of performing. There have been several cases where a child has learned no language until 12-15 years of age and they appear mentally retarded. They are incapable of forming a sentence and can only string together four words at a time, poorer than any four year old child.

Perhaps in this context it is easy to see that children are far more adept at learning some things than adults are. Maybe the statement was intended to capture this idea, that 'there are concepts which cannot be taught to an already slanted, discriminatory adult(a full cup).' So then, how many of these principles are lost on those of use who started late? Is it possible that you value mostly 'results oriented' 'hard' training because of your values at the time of your trek into Bujinkan budo taijutsu (at 20 or so)? Perhaps a person entering at 40 would find different wisdom in the same material? Perhaps a person at 5 would find wisdom elsewhere?

Human beings are incredible, and very adaptable. You have picked up the art on the channels that you are tuned in to (as we all have). Might I suggest that you change the channel every once in a while if you want a broader view of "what's on." I don't know that you haven't given Ed's thoughts a clear chance, but I can be fairly certain that you haven't. I don't even know what is right, but I am a very intelligent person and I am very skilled at pattern recognition. I don't have to be 40 to know that the sky isn't green, so to say. Why do you fall out of the pattern? Why would so many respect Ed and why does Soke compliment him and grace him with his rank if there is little validity to his position?

You may find yourself the one equivocating here, something you so frequently point out in others. The majority of people are wrong because they like Ed and feel as though it wouldn't be polite to tell him that he sucks? I don't think so. The fact is that he is well respected for his grasp of exactly what you claim he is incapable of. If you are so clearly correct then why would so many (high ranking, experienced) people disagree with you? I would let that soak in before you tell me that I'm wrong because I'm younger than you and lower ranked...

Posted on: 2007/8/7 14:06
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Cant Stay Offline
From Hamina, Finland
Group:
議長 :: Mod
師導士会 :: Shidoshikai
Quote:

mrdunsky wrote:
On this recent trip to Japan, I saw every shihan take a long time to read, re-read, practice, and then go back and re-read each kata before it was shown (unless recently practiced) Many started to show their kata, and then had to go back to make sure they had it right! Did it matter - no! The kata were used as jumping off points for the rest of the class.

A collection of Kata is a good thing to have, but only if you use it. A full set of tools does no good for a craftsman unless he makes something with them! If you think the secrets of the Bujinkan are written down, you are sorely wrong!

Along this line... can anyone remember ALL the Katas there are in ALL the Ryûs we have to study and train in?

Surely not...

And, I remember seeing this "checking the notes" done on every trip I've been to Japan, almost by all the teachers I've trained under...

Posted on: 2007/8/7 17:49
(Bujinkan Budōka since 1985)

Active Kutakian
From Memphis, TN - USA
Group:
I used to be into collecting kata. It was FUN. Way better than baseball cards or stamps.

There are not many kinds of collecting that involve punching, kicking, and tossing people around.

But I got over it.

Posted on: 2007/8/7 18:23

From Austin,TX
Group:
I read something that someone posted recently somewhere on one of these kata threads, and I've been thinking about it.....here's what I think about kata:

Having a pre-conceived notion of how to deal with an attack(kata), is best described as the worst way of dealing with a situation. This pre-conceived notion is only the starting point to improve from, not towards, under the direction of a master. One should arrive at the kata naturally and logically, not by trying to force oneself into it. Once unnecessary pre-conceptions are removed, there are no gaps, and as such there are no counters. At this leg of the journey, there is no kata.

Posted on: 2007/8/8 4:28

Please be careful not to have preconceptions, and to always remember the idea of truth-and-falsehood.
-- Hatsum

Kutaki Postmaster
From JAPAN
Group:
This kata problem was already mentioned and discussed by many samurai in Edo period. Everybody reached to same answer.

There are some their English translated books about it.

Find it and read it first !

Masanori Harada

Posted on: 2007/8/11 12:48

From Austin,TX
Group:
Mr. Harada, would you mind throwing a few names out? I'm not aware of any philosophical texts dealing specifically with the idea of kata.

Incidentally, are the only ones from Edo period, or are there some from the earlier Sengokou Jidai and Kamakura?

Thanks in advance.

Posted on: 2007/8/11 23:44

Please be careful not to have preconceptions, and to always remember the idea of truth-and-falsehood.
-- Hatsum

« 1 ... 9 10 11 (12)

[Advanced Search]

Today's Sponsor