Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Cost of living in Japan.
Occasional Visitor
From Australia
Group:
村民 :: Villager
Hello Everyone.

I'm from Australia, and I am going on holidays to Italy and Japan. I will be in Japan for a month, and I am wondering about the cost of living in Japan.

What is the average rate of rent around the area of the honbu dojo?
What is the average weekly cost of food in Japan?
How much spare 'spending' money should I aim to bring?
What do people recommend seeing in Japan?

Any information about the cost of living in Japan is appreciated.

Thank you for your help.
Amie.

Posted on: 2007/8/13 18:53
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Cost of living in Japan.
Village Old Timer
From Matsudo City, Chiba, Japan
Group:
Amie,

You may want to stay in a minshuku or ryokan. Cheap ones have rooms for about Y4000 a night.

Try Shawn Gray about Tenshiyama accommodations in Abiko.

JandF Guest House Matsudo I hear is a fun place to stay.

At Atago Station, next to Hombu, is Azusa Ryokan. I tried their website, but it seems to be down. Call 04 7122 5761.

Kashiwa Plaza Hotel is very convenient, a two minute walk from Kashiwa Station.

It is possible to get nutritious meals for Y500-700 at Japanese style fast food restaurants. You get rice, meat or fish, pickles and soup for that price.

If you have a kitchen space at a guest house, cooking Japanese meals with Japanese ingredients is cheap. Foreign foods are available (granola, pasta sauce, tortilla chips, etc.) but expensive. Check out some Japanese cookbooks from your local library for inspiration with typical Japanese ingredients. Japanese cooking is easy and delicious!

If you stay at Kashiwa or Matsudo on the Joban line, supermarkets and convenience stores are very close to the stations. See Price Check Tokyo for grocery and personal items prices.

Check your fares, destinations and departure times with the English website Hyperdia Digital Train Timetable.

About sightseeing around the Kanto region -

Hakone Kanagawa under Mt. Fuji

Yanasen historical district in Tokyo

After Yanasen, see Ueno Park and National Museum which is located in the park.

Naritasan temple complex near Narita Airport

Beyond Tokyo -

[url=http://www.jnto.go.jp/]Japan National Tourist Organization

Posted on: 2007/8/14 10:46

Occasional Visitor
From Australia
Group:
Erizabesu,

Thank you for your kind reply. You have been really helpful. I appreciate your assistance.

I found this website, http://www.being-a-broad.com/,
and I felt a little overwhelmed about Japan.

I do not speak Japanese, so I'm a little worried about that too.

Also is there anything I should know about my first time to the Honbu Dojo?

Thank you again.
Amie.

Posted on: 2007/8/14 12:13

Occasional Visitor
From Australia
Group:
One more thing I forgot to ask. How much should I budget for training for a month if I intend to attend Hatsumi sensei and the shihan's classes; I mean for the month overall, not individual classes. Thank you so much for your help; I hope I don't sound grabby.
Amie

Posted on: 2007/8/14 22:17

Kutaki Postmaster
From Knoxville, TN
Group:
I don't think you will find difficulty in the lack of speaking Japanese. When I was there, I was excited about using Japanese outside of work and the dojo. Regretfully, friends ands strangers wanted to practice their English on me instead. Definately see Ueno. You didn't mention when you will be visiting; clothing is another very important thing for you to consider because it gets very hot and it gets very cold there.

Posted on: 2007/8/15 1:19

Village Old Timer
From Matsudo City, Chiba, Japan
Group:
Amie, you're most welcome.

Being-a-broad.com also publishes a book and magazines. There is a lot to learn about living and thriving here, but then BAB hosts social events to meet local and foreign women with whom you can share experiences or maybe even collaborate on something...

What Michael said - life in Japan's an adventure. There are charming and frustrating things here just as there are anywhere. The fun is finding out!

About training fees, sorry, it's been said many times on the forum, we can't talk about fees on a public forum.

Check your inbox, I pmed you.

Posted on: 2007/8/15 14:43

Occasional Visitor
From Australia
Group:
Hi.
Thankyou Lightdancer for your advice. I should be in Japan February and March 2008. Is training especially busy then? What's the weather like?

Thankyou Erizabesu for the warning. I sent you a pm reply.

Mr Gray's Tenshiyama accommodation is looking like my favourite option at the moment. Has anyone here stayed there before? Would I be able to cook Japanese meals and the like there to keep my budget down?

I'm also interested in tea ceremony and flower arrangement. Is there anywhere nearby where I could learn about that? I've looked for information, but have had no luck, any help is really appreciated.

I have also noticed that there has been a drop in the Australian Dollar, compared to the Japanese Yen. I wonder what is the best way to exchange currency with out losing too much money. Does anyone have some tips.

Thanks everyone.
Amie

Posted on: 2007/8/15 19:19

Tenshiyama Apartment
村長 :: Sonchou
From Chiba, Japan
Group:
村長 :: Admin
Hi Arnie,

You're welcome to contact me directly by PM if you have any questions about my guest apartment in Abiko. There are quite a few people here on Kutaki and also from Australia who stay at the apartment when they come to Japan - many of them are repeat guests which tells me that they are happy with their stay.

At this point noone has made booking for Feb/March of 2008 yet, but I have had a couple of people ask about dates, so the sooner you know your exact trip dates the sooner you'd be guaranteed space.

Just let me know by PM if you have any questions or need more information.

Best wishes,

Shawn

Posted on: 2007/8/15 19:36

Deleted_
LightDance wrote- "Regretfully, friends ands strangers wanted to practice their English on me instead."

They wouldn't be my friends.

Remember that you are a human being with a soul...NOT an English language training system.

Hmm...I need some friends!!

Thomas Curran

Tokyo, Japan

Posted on: 2007/8/15 19:44

Kutaki Postmaster
From Knoxville, TN
Group:
Japan in February and March is pretty cold considering the climate I'm used to. I left Tennessee (knowing it would be cool) in a shirt and zip-up sweater with a coat in my carry-on. It was warm in TN. I arrived in Japan with it sleeting snow. Luckily I was prepared and just pulled out the coat but things I was not prepared for was enduring the winds (gloves, snow-cap) while walking because you do so much of it there. Still, beautiful experience.

Posted on: 2007/8/16 6:40

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Today's Sponsor