Dpinga

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 4 »

Kuki swordwork
Permanent Village Fixture
From Austin,TX
Group:
村民 :: Villager
So I was wondering if anyone has some pointers on the Kukishinden Ryu Swordwork style.

Posted on: 2007/8/21 14:36

Please be careful not to have preconceptions, and to always remember the idea of truth-and-falsehood.
-- Hatsum
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Kuki swordwork
Deleted_
Ask your instructor?

Posted on: 2007/8/21 15:23

Kutaki Postmaster
Group:
I would recommend looking at the DVD of the Takamatsu memorial Taikai - "Budo of Elegance"

http://www.budobiz.com/Ninjutsu.daikomyosai.dvds.html

Harada-sensei and Yoshida-sensei do an exceptional job showing the basic kata and Hatsumi-sensei builds well on it.

Hatsumi-sensei once said on kenpo that a principle is that "swords cut well". I think if you have studied his minimalist approach this makes a lot of sense.

Posted on: 2007/8/21 15:37

Cant Stay Offline
From Hamina, Finland
Group:
議長 :: Mod
師導士会 :: Shidoshikai
Quote:

noname wrote:
So I was wondering if anyone has some pointers on the Kukishinden Ryu Swordwork style.

Point the sword at the opponent is a good start. Really.

Posted on: 2007/8/21 16:10
(Bujinkan Budōka since 1985)

Villager
From Auburn, AL
Group:
I'm low rank, but I can retransmit some info from discussions with my teacher.

From my notes I have that in this ryu the sword work is used from low positions because of the historical settings. As a result it is "VERY" important that your low kamae and taijutsu is in excellent working order. (duh)

That's all I have in my notes other than a few partial waza which I am hesitant to post since they are incomplete and possibly corrupted by my lack of knowledge.

Posted on: 2007/8/21 16:53

U.G. Wilson
1st Dan under Jeff Davis (9th dan)

Kutaki Postmaster
Group:
Quote:

Coyote wrote:
From my notes I have that in this ryu the sword work is used from low positions because of the historical settings. As a result it is "VERY" important that your low kamae and taijutsu is in excellent working order. (duh)

I certainly wouldn't agree with this because you would lack manoeuvrability. I think the height of your kamae, from standing right up straight to dropping to one knee, should be determined by some much more important principles.

Hatsumi-sensei often says that to understand ken you need to master muto-dori.

There is another aspect of distance that I think is important. For an example stand directly facing each other in seigan with swords crossed at the tip (your sword to your left of his sword). You are both in an equal position (50% - 50%). Now take a small step to your left, you will be facing him with your sword covering in a small advantage (60% - 40%). I was given this simple example by a shihan and I found it very useful in understanding one sort of relationship in distance.

Posted on: 2007/8/21 17:20

Cant Stay Offline
From Hamina, Finland
Group:
Quote:

noname wrote:

Oh, and, naturally this book

Posted on: 2007/8/21 23:40
(Bujinkan Budōka since 1985)

Cant Stay Offline
From Pennsylvania, USA
Group:
In this I would second what Duncan has said! To base your kamae or posture simply because it was "traditional" loses one of the most important advantages of our art, that of adapting to the situation as it presents itself. Ridgit repetition without adaptation to the situation will really get you hurt. (IMO) Our ability to use the traditional to aid in our ability to adapt is what gives us an advantage.

Posted on: 2007/8/22 0:27

Villager
From Auburn, AL
Group:
But understanding the classical is what teaches you important things about the applicable.

Our movements are first practice "big" in order to be shortened later. I did not mean to ONLY apply kuki-ryu work in the largest form. I was simply assuming that if he is asking a questions such as this that he is near the beginning of starting to explore the kuki-ryu in depth.

As a result it would be practiced in a more classical form in order to gain understanding of "secrets" and then to apply that knowledge in a practical way later.

"Those who forget the past..."
"To understand where we are going.."
"yadda yadda yadda.."

Posted on: 2007/8/22 0:59

U.G. Wilson
1st Dan under Jeff Davis (9th dan)

Villager
From Arkansas, USA
Group:
I understand what you are saying Coyote. I too think it is very important that we understand this art in its original and historical contents; and I don't think Duncan or Ed would disagree with that. HOWEVER, if you are going to understand the true nature of Kukishin and it's kamae, you have to do it with the proper situation. Kukishin was designed to work with heavy armor. Having fought with current armor plus packs, etc., I can tell you that your stances are much lower. Otherwise, you will lose your balance easily. When you don't have that same kind of weight, there is no reason to have low statnces becasue it does severerly limit your mobility. And doing the kata with low stances does not IMHO mimick what you are dealing with in armor. If you want the true measure of the kamae, put on a backpack with about 60 pounds of sandbags in it and do the kata.

Jeff Walker

Posted on: 2007/8/22 2:51

(1) 2 3 4 »

[Advanced Search]

Today's Sponsor