« 1 2 3 4 (5)

Re: Bought a new katana today...
Kutaki Postmaster
From Canada
Group:
村民 :: Villager
師導士会 :: Shidoshikai
Quote:

That said, I have no intention of parting with the weapon and will do alteration work on it, if only for non-training related purposes and my aesthetic pleasure.

I don't think anyone was trying to say you shouldn't have that particular sword. I think people were just trying to tell you that from what you described, it's a display sword and that it's not safe to train with a display sword, even with modifications to help hold the blade in the handle since that may help it to not slide out so easily but may not stop it from snapping.

There are some beautiful display swords that can be picked up for very little money and there's nothing wrong with having them for display or aesthetic purposes.

You're very fortunate to be training predominantly with people so far ahead of you. That will help you a lot!

John

Posted on: 2007/9/6 22:44
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Villager
Group:
This thread reminds me of what I did when I started...

My mum had a katana (not a live one) and it was interesting that pretty early in my Taijutsu journey my shidoshi did a class on kenjutsu. So I started practicing with that blade at home.

Being somewhat crazy at 10th kyu I actually started lugging that katana down to class. I can't imagine why I was never stopped by the Singapore police about what were those strange things in a guitar case that made clinking sounds when I set the case down on a bus or train floor... (that was from the scabbards)I just wanted it around JUST IN CASE my instructor wanted to do blades that night.

In the end I came to my senses (before I got promoted to 9th Kyu) and stopped lugging that thing around. I decided that if I wanted to act like a shodan, I'll practice cutting with that thing everyday, 100 cuts on the right side and 150 cuts on the left side (just in case I ever had to disguise myself as a left-handed samurai... unlikely, but you'll never know) for each of the basic cuts.

I'd highly recommend that idea to anyone who wants to act like a shodan. That way you'll probably not feel like a total fake when you eventually get that grade. I didn't get round to doing it myself of course...

Anyway, enough of my inane ramblings.

This was a good trip down memory lane for me. Embarassing, but good...

Junjie
Singapore

Posted on: 2007/9/7 2:52

Villager
Group:
Quote:
I don't think anyone was trying to say you shouldn't have that particular sword. I think people were just trying to tell you that from what you described

That's not strictly true. Look at post 39. Syd clearly expressed that *having* the sword was a bad idea.

Anyway, if you're going to play with that sword just do it away from other people (like out in your yard by yourself) and be careful.

With a few ounces of common sense and caution it isn't any more dangerous than many other activities.

I will say you would get far more use from a bokken or iaito, regardless. You can do more with it and learn much better skills.

Aric Keith

Posted on: 2007/9/7 5:17

Kutaki Postmaster
From Wyoming
Group:
Tommy,

Your enthusiasm is sure to be an asset to your later training.

As others have said, using an inferior sword is highly dangerous. Although you have stated that you don't intend to use it until it is altered, let me suggest you not use it at all. Toledo forged blades tend to be made out of stainless steel and those tend to shatter very easily (almost like glass) throwing shards in all directions.

I recently had to have my katana tsuka (hilt) rebuilt because the wood that was used for the core was too dry. it split and that made horrible creaking sounds that my sensei and I identified very quickly. The forge for the sword was kind enough to have my tsuka made from new wood and wrapped. This job would have cost about $450 and I got it for free, done by a visiting smith in Minnesota, I believe. It is beautiful by the way.

If your tsuka and tsuba are creaking, it is not a good sign. Toledo swords tend not to be properly pegged with good menuki (if at all) and often do not even have proper tsuka.

Getting katana refitted is no small matter. Really, really, really, this is not something to play around with unless you have direct supervision of someone who is trained in iaijutsu or kenjutsu. Being a shidoshi is no guarantee of expertise in this area.

Put it on a rack and wait until you can afford a more quality blade in the future.

Train safe, train smart.

Posted on: 2007/9/7 14:33

What? Yes...that's how I do that....why...why do you ask?

Village Old Timer
Group:
議長 :: Mod
Quote:

Aric Keith wrote:

That's not strictly true. Look at post 39. Syd clearly expressed that *having* the sword was a bad idea.

Yes, perhaps I should have said "..have that sword with the intent of using it in training."

Posted on: 2007/9/7 19:08

Occasional Visitor
From Ireland
Group:
Thomas, please. What side of 'I hope you didn't spend more than a tenner on that sword' means you can train with it in the dojo?

Yes I said the tang wasn't worth a damn. Yes I said that the blade may well fly out with when cutting and I illustrated with story of a real incident I had heard about with a 'vertical' cut. Yes I said you should blunt the blade.

Mentioning all these things was advice for your own safety if you decided to keep the sword. The safety of other students is easily assured by never training with it!

I didn't say anything about horizontal cuts being ok and, as stated on this thread already, they could easily be worse. Not explicitly saying something bad about things does not imply they are good.

For the record I am not an authority on swords in particular and certainly not one on the Bujinkan in general.

The people on this site know what they are talking about, please listen to them if you feel you have to ask the world about things that we've spent only ten minutes talking about and zero minutes training with.

Your enthusiasm is commendable but so is my one year old nephew's for running.

--------------
Steve Ewart

Posted on: 2007/9/7 21:51

Villager
From County Down, Northern Ireland
Group:
Quote:

carbetbagger wrote:
Thomas, please. What side of 'I hope you didn't spend more than a tenner on that sword' means you can train with it in the dojo?

Yes I said the tang wasn't worth a damn. Yes I said that the blade may well fly out with when cutting and I illustrated with story of a real incident I had heard about with a 'vertical' cut. Yes I said you should blunt the blade.

Okay fair enough,A misunderstanding on my part but i have no intention of bringing it back to class anytime soon.
I apologise if i have misrepresented you in any way.

Thomas.

Posted on: 2007/9/7 23:12

Kutaki Postmaster
From Chicago, IL
Group:
Quote:

tommy_8_ball wrote:
Quote:

carbetbagger wrote:

Okay fair enough,A misunderstanding on my part but i have no intention of bringing it back to class anytime soon.
I apologise if i have misrepresented you in any way.

Thomas.

Anytime soon? Sounds like he meant never. Do you realize at this point you are only opening your mouth to change feet?

Markk Bush
www.bujinmag.com

Posted on: 2007/9/8 7:40

Villager
From County Down, Northern Ireland
Group:
Quote:

Tengu 6 Wrote:
Anytime soon? Sounds like he meant never. Do you realize at this point you are only opening your mouth to change feet?

well, i use the word 'soon' in the broadest sense possible and now that i have slightly better knowledge of swords thanks to this thread it will probably not leave my home again, certainly not for training purposes.

To all those who gave advice you have my thanks, particulary to Steve whom i hope no hard feelings have arisen with as a result of misadvertising his crudentials or discussing class content on the forum.

Thanks,

Thomas G.

Posted on: 2007/9/8 10:51

Kutaki Postmaster
From Wyoming
Group:
I wanted to correct my post that I wrote when pretty tired. I said pegged with good menuki. Obviously I meant with good mekugi.

I would like to add that my teacher in iaijutsu is part of a larger mailing list that frequently has new stories of somebody being injured by a sword in practice.

It happens, a lot. Although the use of shinken is important to really understanding the use of the katana or tachi, one should only do so under the direction of a teacher qualified in such instruction.

Posted on: 2007/9/9 6:37

What? Yes...that's how I do that....why...why do you ask?

« 1 2 3 4 (5)

[Advanced Search]

Today's Sponsor