Socialize

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Shoden, chuden and okuden level waza?
Honorary Villager
From Blountville, Tennessee
Group:
村民 :: Villager
Hello,

My question concerns the "feeling" behind the techniques from each level. Should a particular "feeling" or strategy be observed when studying these levels? As I understand it, in Koto-ryu, the shoden level deals with more straight line, balance taking attacks; where as, the chuden level deals with more secret attacks, i.e. "disappearing" from the opponents view and attacking unexpected areas. I would appreciate the vast knowledge and insight of the Kutaki villagers in this area.

P.S. I'm not trying to collect waza, only to understand the particular "feeling" behind each level.

Thank You.

Posted on: 2007/9/18 12:41

"To secure peace is to prepare for war."
- Carl Von Clausewitz

"We do not rise to the level of our expectations. We fall to the level of our training."
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Shoden, chuden and okuden level waza?
Active Kutakian
From Memphis, TN - USA
Group:
Please don't think that I'm crapping on your thread...

but you are not going to get an answer to your questions here. Or at least, you are not going to get very good answers to your questions.

You are on the Internet, my friend.

Posted on: 2007/9/18 15:49

村長 :: Sonchou
From Budapest - Hungary
Group:
議長 :: Mod
村長 :: Admin
Brandon,

I also think that you cannot get proper answer here because it is impossible to pass on these things without making you actually feel them. It is like trying to describe the taste of a pear for someone who's never tasted it.

Strictly only in my opinion if you already have a solid knowledge of the basics, you can start exploring the feeling-issue, but for that either training with a shidoshi who regularly goes to Japan is needed, or you yourself has to go to Japan. Best if both applies.

Otherwise I don't know how else these could be properly transmitted to anyone...

Eva

Posted on: 2007/9/18 16:18

Cant Stay Offline
From Hamina, Finland
Group:
師導士会 :: Shidoshikai
Quote:

brandon wrote:
My question concerns the "feeling" behind the techniques from each level. Should a particular "feeling" or strategy be observed when studying these levels?

To give an answer; yes.

But to continue; what the others already said

Gambatte kudasai!

Posted on: 2007/9/18 18:19
(Bujinkan Budōka since 1985)

Cant Stay Offline
From Pennsylvania, USA
Group:
師導士会 :: Shidoshikai
Brandon, I think Eva has said it very well. It just must be felt/experienced from someone who knows what they are doing. There really is no other way to learn it. Only so much can be "understood" through "logic" or your mental abilities ---- and here I'm presuming the merely thinking ones. There are some good teachers in Tenn. so you can get that experience. How close are you to Morristown, or Nashville?

Posted on: 2007/9/18 22:35

Honorary Villager
From Blountville, Tennessee
Group:
Thank you for your replies.

I may not have used the correct wording to convey my question. Before that, let me give some background on myself: I have been training in the Bujinkan for roughly ten years, I have traveled to Japan, and I'm a yondon. I regularly train with a teacher that tyrains to Japan every year. I understand his interpretation of the theme. I understand "feeling" can not be transmited over the internet, wrong choice of word. What I was trying to ascertain was, what is the unified theme for each level when you train or teach Koto-ryu? If there is one? I was interested in opinion. I understand there are secret teachings, which I dont want to get in too. Just, what the overall direction of the different levels are?

Thanks again.

Posted on: 2007/9/19 2:01

"To secure peace is to prepare for war."
- Carl Von Clausewitz

"We do not rise to the level of our expectations. We fall to the level of our training."

Kutaki Postmaster
From JAPAN
Group:
Quote:

brandon wrote:
What I was trying to ascertain was, what is the unified theme for each level when you train or teach Koto-ryu? If there is one?I was interested in opinion. I understand there are secret teachings, which I dont want to get in too. Just, what the overall direction of the different levels are?

There IS certain theme for the each level. It is easy to find the answer, if you study general theories of the budo. For example, it is mentioned in Mushashi's "The Five Rings".

Posted on: 2007/9/19 10:58

Kutaki Postmaster
From JAPAN
Group:
Quote:

Tamatora wrote:
Quote:

brandon wrote:
What I was trying to ascertain was, what is the unified theme for each level when you train or teach Koto-ryu? If there is one?I was interested in opinion. I understand there are secret teachings, which I dont want to get in too. Just, what the overall direction of the different levels are?

There IS certain theme for the each level. It is easy to find the answer, if you study general theories of the budo. For example, it is mentioned in Mushashi's "The Five Rings".

Oops ! Musashi's "The Five Rings"

Posted on: 2007/9/19 13:22

[Advanced Search]

Today's Sponsor