Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Socialize

Recent Topics

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 ... 9 »

Re: What is the future of the Bujinkan after the current grappling crazy in general MA passes?
Permanent Village Fixture
From Seattle
Group:
村民 :: Villager
Quote:

mrdunsky wrote:

It is the mindset of someone placed in an octagon with another person to assume that all statements are insults.

Really?
Quite a stretch, dont you think?

Posted on: 2007/9/25 5:07
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: What is the future of the Bujinkan after the current grappling crazy in general MA passes?
Village Old Timer
From Dayton, Ohio
Group:
Quote:

D_Cecc wrote:
Quote:

mrdunsky wrote:

It is the mindset of someone placed in an octagon with another person to assume that all statements are insults.

Really?
Quite a stretch, dont you think?

It's a metaphor!!

Marty

Posted on: 2007/9/25 5:17

Active Kutakian
Group:
Tenchijin guy wrote:

"but I am really curious as to what people mean when they say that they are teaching "taijutsu on the ground". Maybe someone else can help answer..."

I was waiting for you to pounce. Anyways I will use Charles Daniel as my example as he was the only guy I trained with in the Bujinkan who knew a lot about groundfighting.

Back in the early to mid 90's he gave several seminars on groundfighting based on his training with some Gracie Jujutsu folks he knew. He also gave a couple Sambo seminars which I enjoyed very much (don't know where that info came from).

His groundfighting seminars were very technical in nature and contained 80% material from BJJ/Sambo and 20% counters he had probably worked out on his own. His application of BJJ/Sambo technology seemed to mesh well with everything else he did and I did not see any dissonance between his BJK stuff and his BJJ/Sambo stuff.

This means to me that either he had modified what he learned to flow with his BJK training or the BJJ/Sambo stuff shared a lot of similarities already with BJK training. I do not know which is the answer. I think he is on this forum under the member name lionsroar so he could answere the question better than most in my opinion.

Jeff

Posted on: 2007/9/25 7:30

Deleted_
Quote:

bigred wrote:
I think he is on this forum under the member name lionsroar so he could answere the question better than most in my opinion.

Jeff

I think he unsubscribed.

Anyway...

-Daniel

PS. Honestly - I am not as interested in his opinion. It will be based on facts and reality.

I am more interested in the "other" people who say things like that... More of a morbid curiosity of sorts...

Posted on: 2007/9/25 10:42

Frequent Visitor
From Sydney, Australia
Group:
Quote:
mrdunsky wrote:
It is the mindset of someone placed in an octagon with another person to assume that all statements are insults. I asked a question..."Is there trolling going on?". I explained why I thought this could be trolling. Are you saying that you brought up this topic to create "controversy?".

Marty that is some seriously ridiculous back peddling. You can try to disguise your insult as a question but it’s still an insult. Are you usually this passive aggressive or am I specially privileged?

Quote:
Insults are received by those who choose to receive them. If you don't want to be insulted, choose not to be.

WHAT THE....? Marty you are seriously comical mate. This gave me a good laugh. Thanks.

Quote:
If you were asking how my day is going, it has been great. I'm off today and this is an unusual treat!

Yes, I was asking about your day. I'm really glad you were having a good one.

Quote:
My training teaches me to ask questions, and keep alert for dangers. It has also taught me to not be so easily provoked.

Good to hear. Keep training mate.

Posted on: 2007/9/25 12:23

Honorary Villager
From Blountville, Tennessee
Group:
Quote:

I think this is the physiological explaination as to why its important to train to be relaxed during a conflict situation. Would you agree with this? Any suggestions in relation to this type of training?

RONIN,

I don't necessarily agree that you should "train" to be relaxed". I think, through training, you become relaxed. If you train to be "relaxed" in your movements, before you are ready - you would be fooling yourself? I believe calmness and relaxation are a product of your training, not something to train on. I liken it to my experience with American football. I played youth, High School and Collegiate football. In the early stages, you learn a "stance" and moving from that stance. After numerous repetitions (and oppenents), the stance and any movement becomes second nature. I didn't consciencely train to be relaxed (free in my movement without thinking about it) from "firing off" (moving from the stance). I believe that, after so many repetitions (which differs from individual to individual), you gain relaxation in your movements. Just my opinion. What do you think?

Posted on: 2007/9/25 12:46

"To secure peace is to prepare for war."
- Carl Von Clausewitz

"We do not rise to the level of our expectations. We fall to the level of our training."

Village Old Timer
From Dayton, Ohio
Group:
Quote:

RONIN wrote:
Marty that is some seriously ridiculous back peddling. You can try to disguise your insult as a question but it’s still an insult. Are you usually this passive aggressive or am I specially privileged?

Back peddling? I have asked you twice if you were trolling. You have not answered other than to say you were insulted. When you felt you were insulted, you then labled me as passive aggressive. Have you thought of going into politics? For someone without a track record on Kutaki, you sure make alot of assumptions.

Quote:
Ronin responded to
Quote:
Insults are received by those who choose to receive them. If you don't want to be insulted, choose not to be.

WHAT THE....? Marty you are seriously comical mate. This gave me a good laugh. Thanks

This is a serious lession that I learned from eastern philosophy I read to help in my training. Choose your responses folks.

I can't imagine you walk around with this big chip on your shoulder, It must get quite heavy!

Marty

Posted on: 2007/9/25 13:44

Village Old Timer
From Matsudo City, Chiba, Japan
Group:
On a certain other forum I read and post to, ad hominem posts are immediately deleted.

The topic is controversial and worth addressing from various points of view. I have mine, and I was formulating a response after (talking some shihan and my seniors) to something I saw on this thread the other day...

Posted on: 2007/9/25 15:36

Permanent Village Fixture
From Cupertino, CA
Group:
Quote:

brandon wrote:
(...)
I believe that, after so many repetitions (which differs from individual to individual), you gain relaxation in your movements. Just my opinion. What do you think?

How do you avoid the trap of conditioning yourself to be tense during these repetitions? I can imagine that in some circumstances it works for you. However, in general without consistent and constant focus on relaxing you may not have enough time in your life to learn.

My experience is the opposite: it is really valuable to consciously train to be relaxed, breathe and to "listen to your body" and calmly trust in God and in yourself that whatever happens you will survive. Well, hmmm... I probably should add, that those who do not believe in God, can probably trust only in themselves what changes the set of options .

Anyway, my point is that you can condition yourself to stay calm by proper training with a knowledgeable teacher. This is a part of the entire fudoshin feeling that for me personally is one of the greatest benefits from bujinkan training.

"bufu ikkan" as they say...
Mariusz

Posted on: 2007/9/25 15:49

Frequent Visitor
From Sydney, Australia
Group:
Quote:
mrdunsky wrote:
Back peddling? I have asked you twice if you were trolling. You have not answered other than to say you were insulted. When you felt you were insulted, you then labled me as passive aggressive.

With all due respect Marty I already gave you an answerin post #18. My friend I think you must have missed it, here's a reminder.

Quote:
RONIN wrote:
There is nothing controversial about anything that I have said in this forum. At least to any normal thinking person's standard. If you read the thread there have been some very constructive posts, especially from Papa-san. No controversy here. I would contend Marty if anyone was trying to stir up controversy or conflict it was you with your opening insult.

Wasn't this enough for you? Should I have spelled it out? I wasn't trolling. Does this make you happier Marty? I hope it does.

Quote:
mrdunsky wrote:
For someone without a track record on Kutaki, you sure make alot of assumptions.

I make no assumptions Marty I'm just standing my ground. I know its pretty common in an established group to sh*t on the new guy. Its a bit juvenile if you ask me but I expected it.

Quote:
mrdunsky wrote:
This is a serious lession that I learned from eastern philosophy I read to help in my training. Choose your responses folks.

I'm not a buddist, but all power to you. I follow Greek philosophy, and I'm sure you know what we are like when people piss on us, just remember the Spartans.

Quote:
mrdunsky wrote:
I can't imagine you walk around with this big chip on your shoulder, It must get quite heavy!

I guess you mean you "can" imagine. I really don't mind what impression you have of me my friend, that's your business. But now who is making assumptions? Hypocracy is cool.

Posted on: 2007/9/25 15:53

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 ... 9 »

[Advanced Search]

Today's Sponsor