Permanent Village Fixture
From Cupertino, CA
Group:
村民 :: Villager
Quote:

TenChiJin Guy wrote:
Quote:

mariusz wrote:
Please clarify, "opposite" to what? Human head has muscles "in all directions". Anyway this was just an example...

Sorry - to be more clear, having strength to pull your head backwards is more important than having strength to pull it forward (comparatively). If you are going to build strength in a direction, build it that way...

Head control is paramount to Groundfighters. The more you are able to align your head, neck and spine *yes... with muscle* the better off you are down there...

Hope that helps.

-Daniel

agreed.

BTW: you assumed too much details to my reading example: I meant that you can read while laying flat on your stomach with head high, or on your back with head high or on your siede... no matter which way you lie down, you can try to hold your head high. This can be also complemented with my personal favorites bridge on the head and head stand but that is more dangerous for starters....

General well-being notice: if one wants to develop muscles (in this case the meat on the neck and back) then its better to develop also the opposite ones in a balanced way, otherwise in a few years one may start having strange joint pains 8-(, or in that particular case neck problems. I know that for sure 8-(. There is a reason why, for example, a good yoga session is a composition of postures not just one or two postures... similar thing with a good workout.
IHMO, you should be tired in a balanced way after the good training session .

peace
Mariusz

Posted on: 2007/11/13 7:18
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: groundfighting drills
Occasional Visitor
Group:
Hi guys
As a military Close Quarters (read that as MMA/JiuJutsu) Instructor and a Bujinkan practicioner I thought Id throw my two cents in as I have used both in the real world (Iraq and Stateside) and dont believe the two to be mutually exclusive. I am 41 years old and while visiting my old unit in Washington State several of the youngsters (read that as large, agressive and strong) were going at it Combatives style. They rolled around for about 20 minutes or so before there was a submission bloodying each other up in the process. I suggested that 'real world' they dont have 20 minutes to roll around and so I told them to work harder not smarter. I had two of the biggest guys enagage me in a clinch and showed them how to use taijutsu to defeat the sprawl and move in to an immediate naked choke. This was accomplished by the age old principle of moving from kamae to kamae. The clinch is Hokko, using the the elbows and sides of the...arms to 'feel' your opponent...raising his arm with your arm (elbow) and transitioning to the side with Ichimonji and pulling him back in to a choke which was essentially Jumonji. Your Taijutsu contains what you need but I was able to to this consistently these gentleman because having studied MMA as well I understood what THEY were trying to do whereas they didnt understand what I was doing. They expected force and aggression and what they got was natural body movement. This was not slow motion. This was soldier(s) on soldier something to prove to the old guy testosterone induced mano y mano. I believe in studying other arts to see what they are about but believe that Taijutsu contains what we need to succeed.

Posted on: 2007/11/13 23:29

Deleted_
Quote:

Onigiri wrote:
Hi guys
...I had two of the biggest guys enagage me in a clinch and showed them how to use taijutsu to defeat the sprawl and move in to an immediate naked choke.

I have been attempting to stay off this thread in general... Seems some people don't like hearing my voice on these things... Oh well.

The sprawl is a counter measure to use against shooting. I am trying my best to understand this move - but have come up empty so far...

Quote:

Onigiri wrote:
I believe in studying other arts to see what they are about but believe that Taijutsu contains what we need to succeed.

Agreed (mostly). Depends on the nature of the engagement...

-Daniel

Posted on: 2007/11/14 19:22

Deleted_
Quote:

TenChiJin Guy wrote:

The sprawl is a counter measure to use against shooting. I am trying my best to understand this move - but have come up empty so far...

Glad you brought that up, because I have been scratching my head since I read this yesterday...

Posted on: 2007/11/14 23:28

Frequent Visitor
From Leuven
Group:
Quote:

TenChiJin Guy wrote:
Quote:

Onigiri wrote:
Hi guys
...I had two of the biggest guys enagage me in a clinch and showed them how to use taijutsu to defeat the sprawl and move in to an immediate naked choke.

Sounds like, from the clinch, he's ducking under an arm to go to the back. Where the sprawl figures in that, though, I don't know (unless he's faking a shot and then going to the back when they sprawl...but I'm doing more "reading into" his words then I'm comfortable with.).

Back to the OP:

*Spiderwalks (walk on your hands and feet, back to the floor, hips held high) both forwards and backwards. Switch between going forwards and backwards by switching the positions of your left hand and right foot, followed by doing the same for right hand and left foot. This is purely a physical attribute kind of drill, though.

*Bridging! Simply getting your hips off the floor 'till only your neck, shoulders and feet touch the ground, going slightly sideways (as you would when under mount), going slightly sideways and stepping over (in a wide base) and finally, stepping over and moving your (continuously wide) base around your head.

There's of course loads more but these are the easiest to incorporate in a warm-up (not to mention I need to start posting when I have time, not with 5 minutes to go to leave for training).

Posted on: 2007/11/15 0:02

Cant Stay Offline
From Hamina, Finland
Group:
議長 :: Mod
師導士会 :: Shidoshikai
I'm getting a lil' mixed up here - are we talking about generic groundfighting drills/techniques, or things that are in the Bujinkan Budô Taijutsu curriculum?

Posted on: 2007/11/15 2:05
(Bujinkan Budōka since 1985)

Deleted_
Quote:

Ôari wrote:
I'm getting a lil' mixed up here - are we talking about generic groundfighting drills/techniques, or things that are in the Bujinkan Budô Taijutsu curriculum?

Hence why I posted my unanswered question awhile back...

"Good drills for what?

To become good at generic ne waza or to become good at proper taijutsu on the ground?

Two totally different beasts."

Posted on: 2007/11/15 2:15

Cant Stay Offline
From Hamina, Finland
Group:
議長 :: Mod
師導士会 :: Shidoshikai
Quote:

JeffMueller wrote:
Hence why I posted my unanswered question awhile back...

Indeed

Though, as this is a Bujinkan-oriented forum, and it doesn't mention it anywhere on the topic that it would be about another method of fighting on the ground...

But, assuming is always.... not good policy

On the topic - I remember Ne-waza training at the Honbu, and it was mostly about Kyûsho, Shimewaza and Taihenjutsu.... no shrimping or eeling or seahorseing around

EDIT typo

Posted on: 2007/11/15 2:53
(Bujinkan Budōka since 1985)

Deleted_
Quote:
Sounds like, from the clinch, he's ducking under an arm to go to the back. Where the sprawl figures in that, though, I don't know (unless he's faking a shot and then going to the back when they sprawl...but I'm doing more "reading into" his words then I'm comfortable with.).

You mean like a sitout? Hardly a BJK move... but is this what you are thinking of?:

http://www.spikedhumor.com/articles/1 ... ck_vs_Thiago_Tavares.html

55 Seconds into the video... sweet reversal.

Anyway

-Daniel

Posted on: 2007/11/15 3:53

Permanent Village Fixture
From Austin,TX
Group:
"Good drills for what?

To become good at generic ne waza or to become good at proper taijutsu on the ground?

Two totally different beasts."

this makes no sense.....ne waza is part of proper taijutsu on the ground.....

Posted on: 2007/11/15 4:38

Please be careful not to have preconceptions, and to always remember the idea of truth-and-falsehood.
-- Hatsum

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 ... 13 »

[Advanced Search]

Today's Sponsor