Socialize

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 3 (4)

Hehehe...
Permanent Village Fixture
From Dallas, TX
Group:
村民 :: Villager
Ralph Severe has actually been to Japan and actually had Hatsumi Sensei throw him... To Hatsumi Sensei's credit, we all wondered and watched and POW!!! over Ralph went... Bill, Bud, Steve, Jack... ask em... That means everyone of those names know Ralph...

Most of you have never met Ralph yet think he is kidding about his training methods and the quality of man he actually is and yet, Hatsumi Sensei respects him... Sensei only questions his efforts to go to the Hombu... I have three videos of Hatsumi Sensei patting Ralph on the back and stating his obvious prowess... How many of you have someone defending you as I am now for Ralph Severe...

Any student of Hatsumi Sensei should put up with Mr. Ralph without making any statements like they represent the Bujinkan or Hatsumi Sensei, much less any martial art at all... If you can throw Ralph, then you actually are worth your rank, I have...

Back to this Shuriken topic... Ralph showed me one of the greatest ideas involving Shuriken training ever. Sorry Ralph, but you are a genius...

He showed me how to use cheap wooden chop sticks from any generic restaurant, thrown at simple half inch thick foam padding. It sticks if you throw ir right and doesn't if you don't.

I stood next to Ishizuka Sensei that stopped a swedish moron from ruining expensive bo shuriken bending into the senban shuriken wooden target... If you havn't studied directly under a Shihan in Shuriken-jutsu than you wouldn't know that you are taught to throw them into a Tatami Mat so you don't ruin the expensive metal tips. Wood will damage the tips... Anyone reading this can learn from Ralph's genius.

Ralph would be more dangerous if he WANTED to go to Japan...

My name is James Garcia...

Posted on: 2007/11/19 12:12

Re: Hehehe...
Kutaki Postmaster
From Chicago, IL
Group:
Quote:

JamesGarcia wrote:
Ralph Severe has actually been to Japan and actually had Hatsumi Sensei throw him... To Hatsumi Sensei's credit, we all wondered and watched and POW!!! over Ralph went... Bill, Bud, Steve, Jack... ask em... That means everyone of those names know Ralph...

Most of you have never met Ralph yet think he is kidding about his training methods and the quality of man he actually is and yet, Hatsumi Sensei respects him... Sensei only questions his efforts to go to the Hombu... I have three videos of Hatsumi Sensei patting Ralph on the back and stating his obvious prowess... How many of you have someone defending you as I am now for Ralph Severe...

Any student of Hatsumi Sensei should put up with Mr. Ralph without making any statements like they represent the Bujinkan or Hatsumi Sensei, much less any martial art at all... If you can throw Ralph, then you actually are worth your rank, I have...

Back to this Shuriken topic... Ralph showed me one of the greatest ideas involving Shuriken training ever. Sorry Ralph, but you are a genius...

He showed me how to use cheap wooden chop sticks from any generic restaurant, thrown at simple half inch thick foam padding. It sticks if you throw ir right and doesn't if you don't.

I stood next to Ishizuka Sensei that stopped a swedish moron from ruining expensive bo shuriken bending into the senban shuriken wooden target... If you havn't studied directly under a Shihan in Shuriken-jutsu than you wouldn't know that you are taught to throw them into a Tatami Mat so you don't ruin the expensive metal tips. Wood will damage the tips... Anyone reading this can learn from Ralph's genius.

Ralph would be more dangerous if he WANTED to go to Japan...

My name is James Garcia...

Im sure it will bring comfort to Ralph knowing you wont be one of the people trying to run him over, LOL!

Seriously, no one is questioning Ralph's martial skill James. People who are currently close to Soke paint a much different picture than you, we can leave it at that.

The bottom line is that throwing sharp objects at unprotected students is not the most brilliant idea anyone ever came up with, even if it did come from the genius who thought about throwing chopsticks into foam, perhaps there was a lapse in his genius.

That is all this is about, the rest was just amusing.

IMO this thread can be locked as it now serves nothing more than comedic value. I would like to hear more about the people that try to attack Ralph, perhaps a new thread? A movie?

Seriously lets sum up what was asked when this thread was opened.

Throwing shuriken into 3" thick 4'x8' targets is a great idea.

Wood is bad.

So, allow Ralph to respond if need be and then lock this one down.

Markk Bush
www.bujinmag.com

Posted on: 2007/11/19 14:06
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Help with design for homemade shuriken target
Kutaki Postmaster
From Dallas Texas
Group:
Hmmmm well thanks James..
I bet people think we are in love.. or better yet.. we know each other.. LOL.. now for the past 20 years or so.. Hmmm
This brings up a point..
It is always funny to hear on forums.. ""people close to Hatsumi sensei"" know me (Ralph) so well.. but.. lets be honest.. I have never met them or even know who they are.. but their opinions are manifested from greed, hate, fear and ego..
If I have met them.. then.. hmmmm what do they know about me.. LOL..

What a beautiful peaceful giving heart the world has..

I will keep to my path Markk........... Please be careful not to have preconceptions, and to always remember the idea of truth-and-falsehood.
-- Hatsumi Sensei

Yes, I agree.. Let's sum up this thread..
Shuriken need to be made correctly.. thrown correctly.. and thrown against a correct target..
My opinion.. find a good guide to help you..
Someone with experience.. not opinions.. not tested.

Ralph Severe, kamiyama

Posted on: 2007/11/19 19:49

Occasional Visitor
From Texas
Group:
traditionally speaking one would use wood... from a tree... but since we are in the 21st century I use corrugated plastic, layered, but I got scraps fro free given my previous profession (sign maker), I suppose layered corrugated boxes would work just as well, they'd be the right price, if you got them from the right place. If you want to try the corrugated plastic you can always go to a sign shop and ask for a 4' X 8' piece, they are usually on stock and cheap.
I alternate the corrugation, one where the flutes run horizontal, one vertical, you get the idea. I used double sided banner tape to fit the pieces together, but that's not exactly common material. I suppose one could use a hot glue gun for either the plastic or cardboard.

Posted on: 2007/11/27 16:19

Active Kutakian
From Boynton Beach, Florida
Group:
I gotta give credit where credit is due. Rob Hamilton from Miami created a Shuriken board that has lasted the test of time.

He got a large sheet of plywood, some 2 x 4's and made a large A-frame stand out of it. He then took an old plam tree and cut it into rolls about 6-9 inches thick. He then screwed them into the plywood and had a shuriken target with about 15 palm tree rolls on it. No damage to shuriken and plenty large enough for beginners to use.

My explanation might not be the best but the creation was awesome. If interested I can probably describe it in more detail via PM.

In the arts,

Posted on: 2007/11/28 3:38

"Good, now this time do it with taijutsu"

Deleted_
My 2 cents,

I prefer wood, my goals not necessarily to keep my utensils shiny and new, I’ve got my favorite 9 senban that I've been using for 8 years. and it shows. They still "work" fine.

Also I might suggest that wood can help keep you on your toes a bit especially if your throwing bo shruken, There’s a chance they can come right back at you, you should be ready for that.

Styrophome Is generally good, too good, it doesn’t really teach you much, everything hits and sticks. it’s a little too “helpful” for me personally.

Posted on: 2007/11/30 2:43

Kutaki Postmaster
From Chicago, IL
Group:
I am going to do a tutorial in an upcoming issue of Bujinmag showing how to make a shuriken target out of Thick sturdy styrofoam, covered with a tatami mat to more replicate the targets used in the shuriken schools in Japan. The tutorial will also include making a stand.

Markk Bush
www.bujinmag.com

Posted on: 2007/12/1 0:27

Hehehe...
Permanent Village Fixture
From Dallas, TX
Group:
Mr. Bush... You spoke of Shuriken targets as they are done "In Japan"...

Are you referring to a Bujinkan Shihan's class or a different style of Japanese Shuriken-Jutsu?

Posted on: 2007/12/1 20:21

Re: Hehehe...
Kutaki Postmaster
From Chicago, IL
Group:
Quote:

JamesGarcia wrote:
Mr. Bush... You spoke of Shuriken targets as they are done "In Japan"...

Are you referring to a Bujinkan Shihan's class or a different style of Japanese Shuriken-Jutsu?

It just replicates the Tatami mat which is often used by the Bujinkan and other schools such as Meifu Shinkage Ryu, but a lot less expensive.

Markk Bush
www.bujinmag.com

Posted on: 2007/12/2 14:40

Deleted_
This has been entertaining,to say the least. Markk please don't throw shuriken at me. I am a very slow ninja.

Posted on: 2007/12/3 14:45

« 1 2 3 (4)

[Advanced Search]

Today's Sponsor