Recent Topics

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 ... 18 »

Re: Human weapon to air Dec 14th/15th
Active Kutakian
From Springfield, OR
Group:
Gaijin (Inactive)
I liked the variety of the venue, and realistically speaking (as best as I can), I would not expect people to get good at budo in two weeks or whatever, myself not being any good with a decade of training in the Bujinkan.

In my last post, it was to my knowledge that it would be an episode about Ninjutsu featuring the Bujinkan, so naturally I assumed it was about Budo Taijutsu. Having not seen it, I wanted to know if it was really worth staying up as late as I did to watch it.

I was for the most part satisfied with what I watched.

I am sure the trolls will be ripping the scene where Jason took Doug when it went to grappling(though it did appear Doug could have struck him a few good ones before it went to the ground). Take what criticisms that will come with a grain of salt, as per usual, and gambatte. Hey, much respect to anybody who can move like that on either side. Personally I am really impressed by Doug Wilson and cannot wait until he does another West Coast seminar so I can meet him and train with him in person. I missed out in August, but that will be the last time.

To me, I would find it interesting if the hosts choose to retain anything they picked up in any of the martial arts they have surveyed. If their "touching briefly" on any of the particular systems spawned any kind of pursuits into more depth after-the-fact.

Posted on: 2007/12/15 16:33

Honorary Villager
From tulsa OK
Group:
村民 :: Villager
Ok, the obstacle course was neat. The shuriken was fun. The test cutting great. If the focus of the show is to face off w/ a shihan then shouldn't they have at least went over at least a "little bit" more taijutsu? Still I thought the show was over all fun to watch.

IMHO for what it's worth Doug kicked major ass!

Dustin

Posted on: 2007/12/15 18:53
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Kutaki Postmaster
From DC, USA
Group:
I didn't know there were any "razor sharp katana" on the wall beneath the kamiza. I guess a little "artistic" license was to be expected. Where did that guy get all those references to "speed"? I haven't seen any other episodes, but he probably says that about everything. O well, it is what it is.

Posted on: 2007/12/15 23:13

Permanent Village Fixture
From Centerville, Ohio
Group:
To be fair about the razor sharp katana thing, they probably didn't tell them that it was a training sword. It adds incentive.

:)

I really liked the test at the end. I thought I'd hate it.

Posted on: 2007/12/16 0:55

Deleted_
A big fat guy who knows nothing about the sword beats a 13th dan... I've seen better sword fighting in a Christopher Lambert movie...

Then a 15th dan drops his sword, when he's winning no less, to try to kumi uchi grab a pro MMA guy who is a brown belt under Eddie Bravo. He doesn't try to unbalance the guy, he doesn't soften him up with a boshiken or anything, he just grabs the guy (what did he think was going to happen here?)gets taken down and beaten like a white belt in a BJJ class.

Anyone on our end associated with this garbage should just be ashamed. I'm hiding my black gi in the back of my closet for awhile and telling people I study Karate if they ask about this show.

I love Human Weapon, but this was the biggest turd in the punch bowl I have ever seen.

God this was just horrible, horible I tell you.

Posted on: 2007/12/16 4:14

Unsubscribed
Deleted_Unsubscribed
as far as taijutsu, i have a feeling the best parts of the show probably ended up on the cutting room floor . there was im guessing allot more filming of the Japanese shihan at HQ but the aim of the show is not to give instruction but to give an overall feeling of an art. with that goal in mind... my opinion is the history channel did as good as anyone could with 50 minutes .

that being said they did use quite a bit of dramatic license
with all the killers ,assassins, and killing references .
it would have been nice if they had expressed our budo
more in the light of protecting others . i believe that the roots of budo taijutsu and ninpo sprung up from the need for combat tactics and mindset for the few or the one to defend against or attack many ....and while the ninja have a bloody history
indeed , i would like to think the killing done ,was done not for the sake of killing or for war or greed or power ....but instead was done ultimately and only for the purpose of protecting FAMILY, BUYU , and self .........community , nation, and hopefully THE WORLD .

Posted on: 2007/12/16 4:52

Kutaki Postmaster
From West of you , but East of San Francisco
Group:
Quote:

Boggs wrote:
Anyone on our end associated with this garbage should just be ashamed. I'm hiding my black gi in the back of my closet for awhile and telling people I study Karate if they ask about this show.

I love Human Weapon, but this was the biggest turd in the punch bowl I have ever seen.

Hello Mr. Boggs, please don't take this personally, but that reminds me about that story about, "by the end of the night one of you will have denied knowing and loving me"..... I think I read it in a magazine or book or something. Oh well. The Human weapon would be a cool show if they got rid of their toolish hosts. But since I don't have a say in that I'll just have to enjoy it as is. I guess since it has never been billed as a documentary and could just as easily fall into the cantegory of "reality show", it is rather exceptional in its degree of straightforwardness. Guess we just have to train real hard incase someone asks about the show. I agree with your last sentance about mostly all the episodes of HW, but graded on a curve with other similair shows ( few if any) they're excellent.

~juan
Z a zueta

Posted on: 2007/12/16 5:42

Villager
From Northern California
Group:
Ninjutsu thread on Human Weapon Forum

This was probably the worst episode of the show to date. My biggest gripe is how much the show was all over the place when it came to ninjutsu. What exactly does Horibe's Kenka Gei Koppo have to do with ninjutsu? As far as I know...nothing.

I do like the obstable course, but it misleads the novice viewers into believing we run around all the time practicing for the night we get to storm a castle! Don't get me wrong I would love to "play" on that playground. Looks like fun.

Btw, profiling Meifu Shinkage Ryu's use of the shuriken was interesting. At least that side story fits the episode's theme. Meifu Shinkage Ryu webiste

Posted on: 2007/12/16 7:21

"Stupid fast moving modern zombies!!

Active Kutakian
From Springfield, OR
Group:
Gaijin (Inactive)
Lance, I will trade you my awesome Asics wrestling shoes and matching TAPOUT shirt and shorts for your tabi and gi.

Posted on: 2007/12/16 7:29

Village Old Timer
From Dayton, Ohio
Group:
Quote:

Boggs wrote:

Mr. Boggs, if you were trying to parody the outlandish responses people give on internet forums, you got it spot on! The drama of your response is almost as good as that created for cable TV shows.

One of my biggest beefs with discussion on the internet is that people walk around with a huge pimple on their nose worried about what someone else thinks about it. Why do people care so much what the "Image" someone else has of our art. Will you stop training because people think Ninjas are goofy?

About the show. Personally I kind of dreaded Human Weapon showing up. I think they have been very disrespectfull to the other arts they have worked with (seem like a bunch of cowboys coming to study primative samurai). It is entertainment and nothing more. I don't think that it will be much different than when Japanese TV came, the BBC came or other drama artists have come.

Marty

Posted on: 2007/12/16 11:38

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 ... 18 »

[Advanced Search]

Today's Sponsor