Certificates 0 2018/5/8 4:34
schistkicker
Home Project: Shadowbox 3 2018/4/25 21:44
roufus
Ichiba 0 2018/2/21 1:18
Dpinga

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Bujinkan Photography Exhibition (online)
Villager
From Singapore
Group:
村民 :: Villager
Hi All
I was in Japan in March and finally had the time to work on some of the pictures that I took. I have put a modest number (15 to be precise) featuring Soke up here: Hatsumi Soke - Calm.

I have called it "Hatsumi Soke - Calm" because... (long, somewhat rambling explanation to follow):

I have been privileged enough to be given permission to shoot pictures of Soke and some of the shihan in the dojo over the years that I have been going to Japan. (Just to note: I always ask permission before I do so, although I have, on occasion been asked to get my camera out by Soke.)

This is actually quite stressful for me because it puts expectations on me to get good shots, and that is an extremely difficult thing to do. The lighting is bad, and Soke, for someone who seems to move as little as he does, is rarely still. So, I live with that and never expect razor sharp images, but try to get the essence of his taijutsu instead.

I had this conversation with someone recently, and it made me think "What is the essence of Soke's taijutsu?" and "How do you shoot what you can't see?" The answer is that I just don't know. Shooting Soke is very like trying to grab smoke - there's something there, but I just can't seem to get it.

In the end I looked at what I had and called it "Calm" because if you look at Soke in all the shots he's not stressed, not worried, not trying, just totally in control. It's not really the essence of his taijutsu, but it's all I can get for the moment.

I hope that you enjoy the pics
Yours
Justyn

Posted on: 2007/12/16 20:03
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Bujinkan Photography Exhibition (online)
Honorary Villager
Group:
Very nice. Thanks for sharing them with us.

Gerard

Posted on: 2007/12/16 20:24

Frequent Visitor
From Spokane boy
Group:
Great pictures but terrible for capturing Soke intent :)

"totally in control" would be a harsh way IMO to discribe his essense. I would liken it to more him being natural.
The meaning of both is the same though.

Roger

Posted on: 2007/12/16 20:44

Villager
From Singapore
Group:
Quote:

saitamagnome wrote:
"totally in control" would be a harsh way IMO to discribe his essense.

Hi
I'd agree on the "essence" bit - I still have no idea what it is.

"Totally in control" is not meant to describe the essence of his taijutsu, "calm" is as close as I can get to that, but I think that Soke is completely in control of the situation in all these shots. Nothing seems to happen that he can't use...

Perhaps I'm not explaining this well, but I'm still a little lost... Maybe "natural" would be good too...
J

Posted on: 2007/12/16 20:51

Villager
From Illinois USA
Group:
Cool Pics man.

Aside from seeing Soke while he's "working", they were fun for me because I was in them. This were apparently taken last March when my friends and I were in Japan. It was a nice suprise to see them and remember you taking them.

Good Job,

Posted on: 2007/12/17 9:54

Deleted_
Justyn

Seeing these are online would I be to forward to ask if I can keep copies of these? For nothing more than personal viewing of course.

In fact I should say that I actually have them already as does everyone who’s viewed the gallery. Can I keep them or would you prefer I delete them would be the more honest question.

I'm a web designer but more specifically a Flash designer and developer. This particular gallery is not terribly secure as far protecting your images goes. I figure as a photographer if you weren’t aware of that you might want to know.

Posted on: 2007/12/17 15:46

Villager
Group:
師導士会 :: Shidoshikai
Wonderful photos....

Would just like to cut out the background, since I discovered an ugly face there !!!

Cheers,

Peter Carlsson
Malmö Taijutsuklubb - Bujinkan Dojo

Posted on: 2007/12/17 16:52

Villager
From Singapore
Group:
Hi
Thanks for the heads-up. Sadly, I'm a photographer not a web designer so my Flash is limited to what Photoshop can do for me. I figure that the pictures are such low quality JPEGs that they can only be stolen for the web, and only Bujinkan people tend to be interested.
I generally say that all the copyright is retained by me and that the pictures cannot be used by anyone for anything without my express permission. I have, in the past, allowed Bujinkan Dojos to use my pictures for their websites (with a credit for my website).
As for you "keeping" them: I wanted to share them with the wider Bujinkan community so please continue to view them. I usually don't take them down so you can either look at them online or on your computer.
J

Posted on: 2007/12/17 18:28

Frequent Visitor
From Spokane boy
Group:
Quote:

justyn wrote:I wanted to share them with the wider Bujinkan community so please continue to view them.

your attitude Justyn corresponds very much to Soke constant message of working together and sharing. Upholding principles of Buyu in this very monetary world we live in can be very difficult. But its good to see when
people give back what they take from Soke

to expand on Soke "essense". Someone once discribed it as like Soke going for a "walk in the park"

Roger

Posted on: 2007/12/17 20:04

Occasional Visitor
From Israel
Group:
Hello
Thank you very much for putting them for us to injoy , all of them are absolutely wonderful , I hope you will add more in the future.
again thanks for posting the link.

Nili Berl

Posted on: 2007/12/22 1:26

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Today's Sponsor