Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Socialize

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 »

Re: a question that concerns any muslim who wishes to join a martial arts school
Village Old Timer
From San Francisco, California, USA
Group:
村民 :: Villager
Quote:

D_Cecc wrote:
Quote:

mariusz wrote:
Brazilian Ju-Jitsu, truly great art - and I hear that they do not train with woman too eagerly.

This is completly false.

I know the woman Mariusz is talking about, and from what I recall this was a peculiarity of the particular academy at which she trained. She left that school after getting her black belt because of treatment up to that point that I can only call sexist and abusive.

Posted on: 2007/12/31 6:36

Re: a question that concerns any muslim who wishes to join a martial arts school
Deleted_
Quote:

D_Cecc wrote:
Quote:

mariusz wrote:
Brazilian Ju-Jitsu, truly great art - and I hear that they do not train with woman too eagerly.

This is completly false.

Agreed, every BJJ school I've ever visited had women who train in with the men. Most of the competitions I've seen do have seperate for the women and men though.

Posted on: 2007/12/31 6:53
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Kutaki Postmaster
From West of you , but East of San Francisco
Group:
Quote:

Boggs wrote:
I don't claim to be an expert on the Muslim religion, but if he thinks.....

Exactly why clearing up potential misconceptions is a worthwhile endeavor. Neither the individual nor the people giving advice have enough of a concrete understanding of the pertinant rules to be giving such definative advice.

Somebody should have said "ask your teacher" by now, but your religious teacher or whatever the appropriate term would be. After the religious unclarities have been hashed out by people who know what they are talking about, then can we delve into the reverse engineered "mindset" issues that can be deduced from his posts.

~ju a n
zaz uet a

Posted on: 2007/12/31 8:38

Permanent Village Fixture
From Cupertino, CA
Group:
Quote:

Boggs wrote:
Quote:

D_Cecc wrote:
Quote:

mariusz wrote:

This is completly false.

Agreed, every BJJ school I've ever visited had women who train in with the men. Most of the competitions I've seen do have seperate for the women and men though.

I am glad to hear this is false in general. Sorry if i pushed someboy's button. I never spent any substantial time in BJJ dojos. I respect the art and the people. Reason I said what I said is because I heard of several such incidents. Apart form the problems of the woman working towards the black belt in the Bay Area, there weer other stories form our friend who trains in Brazil. This is why I said "I hear".

whatever. For me, the way a guy treats women is one of the litmus tests that show what kind of person he is. Hope this explains my posting.

peace
mn

Posted on: 2007/12/31 13:09

村長 :: Sonchou
From Budapest - Hungary
Group:
議長 :: Mod
村長 :: Admin
Quote:

mujinzou wrote:

Somebody should have said "ask your teacher" by now, but your religious teacher or whatever the appropriate term would be.

Very good advice here! However...

Quote:

mujinzou wrote:

After the religious unclarities have been hashed out by people who know what they are talking about, then can we delve into the reverse engineered "mindset" issues that can be deduced from his posts.

... here comes the hard part, that I marked with bold.
He must find a wise advisor in his religion, who knows what Bujinkan training is exactly about. Otherwise, if the religious teacher has no idea about what Bujinkan training means, then how can he give advice?

Among the present circumstances I see only one person from whom he should ask advice: Ercan.
Ercan, you made some very great points! Thank you!

Also, Mr "Musa-shi", please put your real name both in your signature and your profile. It is required for everyone having an account on this site. Thank you very much!

Eva

Posted on: 2007/12/31 19:05

Honorary Villager
Group:
師導士会 :: Shidoshikai
Will a martial art “go against” my religion?
If you want it to, then it will. Martial Arts aren’t inherently religious. Some have a philosophy that can be followed optionally such as the samurai bushido or Aikido’s philosophy of pacifism. But they don’t (usually) conflict with religious beliefs. Bring such questions to your instructor and let them explain it. Failing that, ask your religious advisor (priest etc.) for their viewpoint.
What about meditation and my religion?
As stated above, you make it what it is. If you want to call meditation praying…go ahead. Meditation in sport and combat arts is generally optional. Its part of what is being taught in the meditative arts however…thus the name. Explain the problem to your instructor (or priest) and let them explain.
At the school I’m attending they call the head instructor “Master” I’m not comfortable

Posted on: 2007/12/31 20:16

Village Old Timer
From Matsudo City, Chiba, Japan
Group:
Eva said
Quote:
Among the present circumstances I see only one person from whom he should ask advice: Ercan.

Eva said it best. Brava!

You can look to your elders in the Bujinkan, people who come from many different paths, faiths, professions and experiences. You're not alone as a Muslim BJK practioner.

Ercan is one awesome person I have had the good fortune to train with and count amongst my friends. He's a busy guy...

Good luck!

Posted on: 2007/12/31 21:50

Active Kutakian
Group:
Quote:
5) And BTW: "Shikin Haramitsu Daikomyo" is a Buddhist Prayer referring to enlightenment and Satori etc... and we say it at the beginning and end of each keiko. This prayer can be probably be translated into any faith (i.e. into "Our Father..." in Christianity). If somebody is of an atheist faith (I mean he BELIEVES that there is no God) he can translate it into something meaningful too. If your faith is such that you cannot do it then you lack flexibility required for the bujinkan training (not to mention ninjutsu training).

AFAIK it is even older than that... However, as I said before it is all about showing respect to to your "sempais", everyone who has gone before you. Why make it more complicated than that?

Posted on: 2008/1/1 14:49

8t Mats Hjelm
Classes in Stockholm, Sweden

Deleted_
Quote:

kabuto wrote:
Quote:
5) And BTW: "Shikin Haramitsu Daikomyo" is a Buddhist Prayer referring to enlightenment and Satori etc... and we say it at the beginning and end of each keiko. This prayer can be probably be translated into any faith (i.e. into "Our Father..." in Christianity). If somebody is of an atheist faith (I mean he BELIEVES that there is no God) he can translate it into something meaningful too. If your faith is such that you cannot do it then you lack flexibility required for the bujinkan training (not to mention ninjutsu training).

AFAIK it is even older than that... However, as I said before it is all about showing respect to to your "sempais", everyone who has gone before you. Why make it more complicated than that?

Can't you show respect by shaking their hands just as easily or in any other manner that is not in conflict with ones religion.

Hey give the guy credit, he wants to do what 99% of the planet doesn't do, which is follow their religion.

Every religion has things that people who are not really religious find odd, or impractical, but if you believe that God has given you a mitzvah or commandment then you should follow it and nobody should give you crap about it.

Also keep in mind that the guy made a voluntary act to convert, which means he is probably more devout in his beliefs than those who might have been of that faith his whole life and is probably over sensitive about making a mistake.

Posted on: 2008/1/2 1:49

Kutaki Postmaster
From West of you , but East of San Francisco
Group:
Quote:

Cuthalion wrote:

Eva

For advice on both topics, exactly!

~jz

Posted on: 2008/1/2 4:25

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 »

[Advanced Search]

Today's Sponsor