Socialize

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3)

Re: Theme weapons for 2008
Village Old Timer
From Istanbul Turkiye
Group:
村民 :: Villager
Yes, that is true. It makes it lighter but easier to get broken.Most of the real cutting blades are with out a Hi.

Posted on: 2008/2/15 17:15
-----------------------------------------
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Village Old Timer
Group:
議長 :: Mod
Often, bo-hi were added at a later time to hide flaws.

Posted on: 2008/2/15 19:10

Villager
From Newbury, Berkshire, UK
Group:
Ok I'm gonna attempt to avoid putting my tabi in my mouth and say I thought the bo-hi groove was there to prevent the blade being stuck in a body. Rather than let blood drain out, it allowed air in as there was a degree of suction around the blade as it entered the torso. The straight thrust was often acompanied with a slight twist at the end of the motion to prevent this happening.

Of course I could have misunderstood this, but that was my impression of the the bo-hi's function.

Posted on: 2008/2/15 23:07

Dave Giddings
Bujinkan Newbury Dojo
www.newburyninjutsu.co.uk

Frequent Visitor
From Colorado
Group:
A bo-hi, or as it is called on western blades the fuller, was used on blades for various reasons. The primary reason was to lighten and strenghten the blade so the cutting edge has more lateral strength and flexibility. They were also, at times, used to hide flaws of lesser quality blades as well, but that was not the primary purpose. On Japanese blades the bo-hi is primarily a newer (not 100% sure of when it was first used so am loath to put an exact date) "invention" as most older blades did not have a bo-hi.

The myth that a bo-hi or fuller (also sometimes referred to as a blood-groove) was to allow a blade to stab into a body and be withdrawn easier is just that, a myth. This has been disproven many times and in many ways. There is a slight amount of suction when a blade is stabbed into a body, but not sufficient in any means to prevent it from being withdrawn quickly. Additionally, any sufficently sharp blade will make enough of a cut on each side that any suction would be, at best, minimal and not impede the withdrawl of the blade.

Posted on: 2008/2/16 1:08

Villager
From Newbury, Berkshire, UK
Group:
Ok, thanks for that! Oh, and this tabi doesnt taste too bad...

Posted on: 2008/2/16 1:35

Dave Giddings
Bujinkan Newbury Dojo
www.newburyninjutsu.co.uk

Village Old Timer
Group:
議長 :: Mod
From the 'bible' of japanese swords, "The Connoisseur's Book of Japanese Swords" by Kokan Nagayama, pg 72

"The hi is a groove engraved on the shinogiji or the hiraji, such grooves are found on swords dating back to the earliest times. Originally the object was to reduce the weight and improve the cutting ability of the sword, later the grooves served as decoration. Another purpose of the hi was to restore a sword's balance after it had been shortened, or to conceal a flaw in the blade. In either of these cases, the his was knows as an ato-bi (groove added later)"

It then lists the 8 types of hi as well as the different types of 'ends'.

Posted on: 2008/2/16 6:35

Honorary Villager
From Kent, England
Group:
excuse the plug folks, but if you want good training weapons I can highly recommend Petar:

http://www.paart.hr/default.asp?id=1&mnu=1

Dave.

Posted on: 2008/2/16 7:00

« 1 2 (3)

[Advanced Search]

Today's Sponsor