Cant Stay Offline
From Hamina, Finland
Group:
村民 :: Villager
議長 :: Mod
師導士会 :: Shidoshikai
Quote:

Kumamura wrote:
Anyone want to comment on promoting someone in a wheel chair? Do they deserve to be promoted or should it be 2 years between kyu grades?

Why should it be 2 yrs between Kyû grades?

And, if he has learned and progressed in what he has been taught - naturally things have been passed on to him differently than un-chairbound trainees - why wouldn't he/she be graded?

Posted on: 2008/2/2 3:20
(Bujinkan Budōka since 1985)
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Grading Curricullum
Villager
From Anderson, Ca USA
Group:
Ari

Merely an example of how rule book can become the foundation for elitism.

Posted on: 2008/2/2 23:21

Cant Stay Offline
From Hamina, Finland
Group:
Quote:

Kumamura wrote:
Ari

Merely an example of how rule book can become the foundation for elitism.

Sorry, what might you mean by this?

Posted on: 2008/2/3 20:36

Deleted_
I am lost now too Ari...

Posted on: 2008/2/4 3:07

Deleted_
I don't think you need to know tons of techniques to get some rank, I think it's more important to know a few things well.

I can teach anyone to do the Kihon badly enough to mimic it with no bite in a week, that doesn't mean they could ever utilize these skills.

Posted on: 2008/2/4 7:46

Deleted_
hi ,

i think everyone has missed the point here.

i thought that the traning was meant to be hard ?

so the grading should be difficault.

when you look at the grading can anyone say they are worth 5th dan ?

or even 1st dan ?

if everyone made the grades more hard the level of students would go up.

and that is to say do instructors really know this stuff ?

we all should knuckle down and train with more open eyes.

wayne

Posted on: 2008/2/6 4:36

Village Old Timer
From Istanbul Turkiye
Group:
Quote:

Boggs wrote:
I don't think you need to know tons of techniques to get some rank, I think it's more important to know a few things well.

I can teach anyone to do the Kihon badly enough to mimic it with no bite in a week, that doesn't mean they could ever utilize these skills.

Yes, yes, Yes, you are soooo wright!

Posted on: 2008/2/6 6:00
-----------------------------------------

Villager
From Manaus, Brazil
Group:
Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but so far Soke has not aproved or released a training curriculum for the grades, nor has he sugested any possibility of doing so in the future. I remember reading an enterview with him where he said that if anything fixed like that would be done it wouldn't amount to more than a phantom, that beeing the reason he hasn't made one.

The Budo that Soke is teaching is life itself, you just can't categorize such a thing. In my understanding the grades are meant to be landmarks on understanding and internalization of core concepts along the path. A way for the student to have some sense of where he is in his progress. I think the main reason for people to find the need for such contraptions is that in order for you to promote students on such a basis you have to be able to "see" that the student has reached any given landmark. It is much easier to simply watch someone perform a series of pre-aranged movements, however I never thought budo had anything to do with "easy". The second reason isn't even worthy of any decency, but unfortunately is often the case, and that is to charge for grade exams. Doug Wilson has a post on his blog that sums up my feelings regarding this budo/money thing titeled: Who's Bujinkan is This?

How many times will Soke repeat: don't remember things; teachniques are useless, and so on and so on, before people will simply trust Soke and stop this thing of changing things and passing it as Soke's Budo? To answer my own question, I guess never, and it's up to each budoca to "see" if the one he is calling teacher is realy teaching him Soke's budo or something altoguether different. Perhaps that is the test of admission into Soke's art. A right from the get go reflexion of how we are responsible for our own training. Let us have eyes to "see".

Gambate Kudosai!

Posted on: 2008/4/5 6:52

Cant Stay Offline
From Hamina, Finland
Group:
Quote:

johntah wrote:
Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but so far Soke has not aproved or released a training curriculum for the grades, nor has he sugested any possibility of doing so in the future.

I seem to recall Shihan Andrew Young remarking sometime somewhere that he took part in the filming of the Dan-videos... And this was like 10 years ago... So I could simply have a faulty memory

On the grading syllabus... Why do we (yes, we have a set set, too) use the curriculum, then, if it's not to be used as per the example from the source?

Also, as can be seen from previous messages, there are curriculum sets in Japan, too, though they are more on the vague side than exact...

So, my take on the "why"... Sôke has mentioned in many places that one should take into account the local ways. Maybe in this, too? There are previously set ways of handling grading from the more popular budo like karate, judo and aikido, to name a few.

Thus, if stepping outside of that custom, might it not separate Bujinkan from the majority of the budo community?

Though, older schools are getting more and more widely spread, and they have differing ways of grading, if they have grades at all, so...

On a more "negative" view, maybe the set set gives a feeling of control?

Posted on: 2008/4/5 20:43

« 1 2 3 (4)

[Advanced Search]

Today's Sponsor