Register now!
Socialize

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 4 »

Full Tang Katana
Honorary Villager
Group:
村民 :: Villager
Once again, I apologize if this has been asked many times before. But does anyone know where to buy a full tang katana? Doesn't have to be top of the line but I don't want it to break the first time I use it. Also, what are your guys opinions on the differences between a katana and these "ninja" swords I see so often. The way I have learned has always been with a katana, so what are the advantages/disadvantages of them?

Posted on: 2008/2/8 11:56
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Full Tang Katana
Kutaki Postmaster
From Wyoming
Group:
When talking about purchasing a live blade, it is crucial that you speak with your teacher about such a matter.

I assume you have a teacher who is instructing you in the proper use of a katana. If you do not, then you should not be buying one, unless it is only for collectors purposes.

Posted on: 2008/2/11 13:08

What? Yes...that's how I do that....why...why do you ask?

Village Old Timer
Group:
議長 :: Mod
What exactly qualifies a Bujinkan instructor in the knowledge, use, and safety of live blades?

Posted on: 2008/2/11 14:21

Honorary Villager
Group:
I do have a teacher, its just he only has been suggesting very expensive blades. I was wondering if anyone knew anything cheaper the $150, prefferably under $50, thats at the very least decent.

Posted on: 2008/2/11 20:14

Villager
From Newbury, Berkshire, UK
Group:
Quote:
I do have a teacher, its just he only has been suggesting very expensive blades. I was wondering if anyone knew anything cheaper the $150, prefferably under $50, thats at the very least decent.

The problem is you will get what you pay for. Any blade under $150 is likely (tho not certainly) to be poor quality. Any blade under $50 from a retailer will be unfit for serious martial arts training. I understand your frustrations of having not as much of a budget as you may wish for this, but it would be better to save and buy the more expensive blade as per your instructors recomendations than buy cheap stainless steel replicas that will break and injure you or a third party.

I realise that I have made some generalisations with the prices, but as a general guide its not that far off!

Posted on: 2008/2/11 20:44

Dave Giddings
Bujinkan Newbury Dojo
www.newburyninjutsu.co.uk

Permanent Village Fixture
From Austin,TX
Group:
I've heard various opinions about the Paul Chen Practical Plus sword......

I will add, since I've bought quite a few swords before, that the chances of finding a good sword for less than 100$ are slim......possible, but unlikely.......

good luck!

Posted on: 2008/2/12 7:07

Please be careful not to have preconceptions, and to always remember the idea of truth-and-falsehood.
-- Hatsum

Deleted_
Quote:

benkyoka wrote:
What exactly qualifies a Bujinkan instructor in the knowledge, use, and safety of live blades?

Amen my brother

Posted on: 2008/2/12 9:12

Active Kutakian
Group:
Quote:

benkyoka wrote:

Takamatsu taught Hatsumi who has done special training with some of the senior Japanese shihan on cutting with live blades. Out of the senior Japanese shihan at least a couple teach it in their dojos. So I would say what qualifies a Bujinkan instructor in the knowledge, use and safety of live blades in someone who has trained with one of these teachers to the point in which the shihan is happy with the Bujinkan instructor teaching it in his own country.

Posted on: 2008/2/12 9:44

[i]"One should be neither strong nor weak, neither soft nor hard. Leave such thoughts behind, awaken

Kutaki Postmaster
From Chicago, IL
Group:
Sean (Metalpyro),

The bottom line is any sword under $200-$250 is most likely not suitable for use. Rule out stainless steel blades alltogether.

If you do not have an instructor who has been trained how to select and inspect a blade for safety the you have no business buying one.

Also, there really are no "full tang" katana really. The tang on the japanese sword should be long but it cant really go completely through the entire handle, however it should be about 10" and be double pegged.

I often see people who want so badly to own a live blade that they ignore good advice and keep asking untill someone tells them what they want to hear.

If you do not have a skilled instructor who can answer these questions for you, and if you can not afford an acceptable blade, you shouldnt get one at all, or find an instructor (Bujinkan or otherwise) who can help you.

Ignoring this advice will most likely only result in injuring yourself or your training partners.

I am sure that is not what you want.

Good luck in your search,

Markk Bush
www.bujinmag.com

Posted on: 2008/2/12 11:07

Kutaki Postmaster
From West of you , but East of San Francisco
Group:
Why do you want one, Metalpyro?...wow, asking is easy.

~juan
z
a
z
u
e
ta

Posted on: 2008/2/12 13:18

(1) 2 3 4 »

[Advanced Search]

Today's Sponsor