Register now!
Socialize

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Re: Full Tang Katana
Honorary Villager
Group:
村民 :: Villager
To answer Tengu6, my instructor is trained in it, but is reluctant to give me advice on buying a temporary cheap one (He says it doesn't matter what it is if it won't even be good, but I disagree). And for Mujinzou, I want one because I would like to train with something of the same weight and feel of a live blade, but not with all of the money. I don't need a sharp unbreakable katana, but it would be nice to have something temporary thats not a wooden sword.

Posted on: 2008/2/13 4:47
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Kutaki Postmaster
From Chicago, IL
Group:
Cheness makes some nice iaito for under $200. I doubt you will find anything else that will feel like a real blade for that price.

http://www.chenessinc.com/iaito.htm

Markk Bush
www.bujinmag.com

Posted on: 2008/2/13 7:02

Village Old Timer
From San Francisco, California, USA
Group:
Quote:

MetalPyro wrote:
To answer Tengu6, my instructor is trained in it, but is reluctant to give me advice on buying a temporary cheap one (He says it doesn't matter what it is if it won't even be good, but I disagree).

You can disagree all you like, but your instructor will still be right about that. One of the things that makes a training sword "good" is not just weight but proper balance, and you're not going to find that in the price range quoted in your original post.

Quote:
And for Mujinzou, I want one because I would like to train with something of the same weight and feel of a live blade, but not with all of the money. I don't need a sharp unbreakable katana, but it would be nice to have something temporary thats not a wooden sword.

If you're not going to be cutting with it, then the Cheness iaito would be a good way to go. (Note: Iaito do not have sharp blades.) If you do want to be able to cut with it, Cheness also makes some reasonably priced functional cutting swords in the $200-$300 range. However, you definitely should not be working with a sharp blade (drawing, etc.) until your instructor says you're ready to do so. If you do it anyway, you're most likely to be a danger to yourself and others.

Posted on: 2008/2/13 9:10

Permanent Village Fixture
From Austin,TX
Group:
"You can disagree all you like, but your instructor will still be right about that. One of the things that makes a training sword "good" is not just weight but proper balance, and you're not going to find that in the price range quoted in your original post."

I disagree, only because I'm looking at a wonderfully balanced sword that I got for $75.......very sturdy fittings too.........although I will reiterate that it was completely a matter of luck......

Posted on: 2008/2/13 11:58

Please be careful not to have preconceptions, and to always remember the idea of truth-and-falsehood.
-- Hatsum

Honorary Villager
Group:
Yes, he has said I am qualified to work with sharp swords now. I think I will probably end up getting something from Cheness, it seems good and credible. Thank you for the help everyone.

Posted on: 2008/2/14 5:12

Kutaki Postmaster
From Chicago, IL
Group:
Quote:

MetalPyro wrote:
Yes, he has said I am qualified to work with sharp swords now.

So you dont trust him on choosing a good mogito or shinken, but you trust him to tell you that your qualified to use a live blade? Like i said, sounds like you keep asking until you hear what you want.

How long have you been training with a bokken?

Also curious what your age is if you dont mind me asking.

Markk Bush
www.bujinmag.com

Posted on: 2008/2/14 9:10

Villager
From Auburn, AL
Group:
http://kriscutlery.com/

Good affordable durable swords. They are sharp enough to cut, and are made of more flexible metal so they don't break if you are new to cutting.

I would NOT suggest the katana 29, it is far too front heavy.

Make sure you call them. I asked some questions and talked to them a while and they hand picked me one.

Posted on: 2008/2/14 13:55

U.G. Wilson
1st Dan under Jeff Davis (9th dan)

Kutaki Postmaster
From South East UK
Group:
The Chenness Type 8 Iaito is probably going to be perfect for you in terms of quality and price.

Posted on: 2008/2/15 0:47

Honorary Villager
Group:
I have trained with Bokken for a good 3 years now. And I'm not really comfortable saying my age or anything like that on the internet when my full name is already given. And I think I'm gonna try for the type 21 katana. And I also realized no one really answered the other question on Katana vs. "ninja" swords.

Posted on: 2008/2/16 6:42

Kutaki Postmaster
From Wyoming
Group:
Syd asked
Quote:
What exactly qualifies a Bujinkan instructor in the knowledge, use, and safety of live blades?

That is an excellent question. I would say that having studied with a teacher who is qualified in those skills, meaning that he or she studied with a teacher qualified in those skills, etc.

Most shidoshi do not have that sort of qualification. Some senior teachers don't have that qualification. If you want to train with shinken, find someone who can teach you properly. Either you are on the correct path or you aren't in this area of study, mistakes are very costly.

To answer the original question, if you are not willing to put down at least $500 or more, I really wouldn't contemplate buying shinken. Even at that price, you had better get the advice of somebody who really knows what they are talking about regarding blades, fittings, saya, etc.

The Chenness iaito are "light" even with steel blades. Most of the Bujinkan schools had larger blades, as did most schools during the sengoku jidai. So anything that is based on Edo period swords is going to be smallish and lightish.

Ninja swords (shinobi gatana) should be viewed more as a tactic than an all the time weapon. Shorter blades will make you faster only after you have mastered your iaijutsu and kenjutsu with larger blades that force you to move correctly or injure yourself.

Posted on: 2008/2/16 15:23

What? Yes...that's how I do that....why...why do you ask?

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

[Advanced Search]

Today's Sponsor