hanzo-tou
Certificates 0 2018/5/8 4:34
schistkicker

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Kukishinden Ryu and Bojutsu
Occasional Visitor
Group:
村民 :: Villager
In almost every koryu school that has bojutsu the swordsman is defending or attacking; yet, in the Bujinkan Kukishinden Ryu the swordsman is just in kamae. Why is this? I heard that this might be because Takamatsu was to old at the time he taught Hatsumi the bojutsu of Kukishin. I have seen some other ryuhas that do Kukishin bojutsu and swordsman has just as vital of role in the kata which makes the kata come to life even more so. There is a strong feeling of zanshin before, during and after the kata. I am just curious as to some other individual opinions.

And before people think that I am attacking soke, I am definitely not! It is obvious that he is incredible! An all around person, a true tatsujin. And, it is obvious that Kukishin is one of the best if not arguably the best bojutsu school or system to date.

Chad Cunningham
www.yoshindojo.com

Posted on: 2003/8/18 15:43
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Hehehe...
Permanent Village Fixture
From Dallas, TX
Group:
The swordsman is just in Kamae?

This is not true as many of the Rokushaku-Bo'jutsu kata require specific participation from the Uke. Some of the Kata are pure Bo' attacks and in these the role of the Uke is to defend himself although blocks and counters are taught.

I believe if you are basing this on Hatsumi Sensei's Quest Rokushaku Bo'jutsu Video then you havn't been taught the Kata directly. The video is merely an introduction and not meant to be taken as detail of the Kata. Ask a Japanese Shihan and they will show you, Someya-Sensei in particular.

Posted on: 2003/8/20 0:04

Re: Hehehe...
Occasional Visitor
Group:
I am sorry, but I am not basing this on the rokushaku bojutsu video by Hatsumi Sensei. I was stating what I have heard according to the "densho" as the role of the tori and the uke. This is why I put this on here, not for any other reason than that....

But since you bring up the video... Watch the video on Hontai Yoshin Ryu (kakunoden) and their Bojutsu. Even on video, you get a strong since or feeling about this school. It has some really great footage of former soke, Saburo Minaki as well as current soke; 18th generation headmaster, Inoue Tsuyoshi Munetoshi. I believe that it is Inoue-sensei's son Kyoichi who is in the video using the chobo (long staff). If you see this then you will see the zanshin that I am talking about.

This is going in another direction, so I will leave it alone. Nor do I want to make this into a compare video session and see which branch is better. I have a good majority of Hatsumi-Sensei's videos including his bojutsu. And this is mainly because I feel very strongly in the Bujinkan system and what Hatsumi Sensei teaches. And, I am not going to try and pick apart Hatsumi's videos! Who am I to second guess soke? I just like to get other people's input. And I see that you have put in yours. I do appreciate that.

Chad Cunningham
www.yoshindojo.com

Posted on: 2003/8/21 21:24
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Strategy
Active Kutakian
From Oneonta, NY
Group:
I have to agree with the little guy here , I've always been taught the kata with the swordsman having a very active role. In fact, some of the movements in the kata don't make sense without an uke who is seeking to get inside the reach of the bo.
A big focus for me in training lately has been tearing the kata apart and looking for strategy, why uke and tori are moving in a certain way. Looking at the bo kata that way, you'll see a lot of give and take.

Jeff

Posted on: 2003/8/21 22:42

Hehehe...
Permanent Village Fixture
From Dallas, TX
Group:
The little guy???

BWAHAHAHAHHAAAAAA...

Hope you are doing well too Kreth.

Posted on: 2003/8/22 1:39

[Advanced Search]