Recent Topics

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 ... 14 15 16 (17)

Unsubscribed
Re: Truths of our Art
Deleted_Unsubscribed
Quote:
Hi Shinden,
Nice constructive post, thanks for the reply:)

My thoughts on the combat sports side of things is that there is nothing to stop an MMA/BJJ/Vale Tudo guy from striking the groin or eyes etc if they are fighting outside a sports environment. The rule set they practice rightly stops them from doing this to each other for safety purposes. A lot of BBT techniques involve what would be termed as illegal shots - this is obviously a good thing. However, randori/rolling allows you to experience how difficult it can be to execute an ogoshi or onikudaki from aggressive grab/shove etc. My point is that that part of training can be done safely and really prepares people who have never been in a fight for the stresses that it causes (extremely elevated heart rate, adrenaline shakes, confusion, fear, attacks/defenses being countered etc). You can always dry drill the dangerous strikes and supplement the compliant training with more alive resistant stuff like randori. I know some Bujinkan dojos do it to different extents but they seem to be in the minority.
It's easy to practice visualisation and relaxation but until you experience a violent situation you won't know how you will react (I don't mean you personally btw!) - As I mentioned before, I'm no expert on BBT but I firmly believe that anyone who studies martial arts needs to experience unscripted training - even if it's outside their style and through cross training. I'm not saying that I am correct in this but this is what I believe in 100%. I did it and I was very surprised how I reacted and found it a positive learning experience.
I agree with you about starting slow and then building up the speed - that makes perfect sense. It also makes sense though that once a higher trained individual understands a technique and are comfortable with the movements that they should drill it at maximum speed. The problem is lots of people never take it up past taichi pace. Kacem Zougari is a good example of someone who trains at realistic speed.
I agree with you that training BBT is not all about fighting - discipline and focus without competition can make you a better person.

Thanks again for the post, good points:)

MODERATOR EDIT and NOTE: Full names are required in your profile. Please Correct that to avoid having your account deleted.

Posted on: 2010/11/12 20:06
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Occasional Visitor
From Campinas, Brazil
Group:
村民 :: Villager
Hello again nomihoudai,
First MMA/BJJ/Vale Tudo I have friends that do all of them. You need to realize something many people forget the more you train in any type of sport the ingrained the rules become to you for you to compete in that sport. I will not tell you that MMA/BJJ/Vale Tudo can't do those illegal strikes, but I will say the more you train and the more you teach your body to act or respond in a certain way to outside stimuli for example certain types of attacks becomes part of your new programing.I have herd many people saying that; I train aggressively here this way, but I will react in another in a life threatening situation, this ridiculous. If you religiously train what ever you do, you do what becomes your new reality, not something else you don't train or is not part of your life. Here is a more personal example here in Brazil because of some crime problems in some areas after 7 o'clock at night you don't have to stop at red traffic lights if there is no traffic, also stop signs are just a suggestion for you to yield if another car is coming, in the USA where I am from all those if done front of the police will get you heavily fined. So After 8 years of living here when I go home to visit I have to mentally and physically remember even simple changes to avoid problems. I also have had Judo and Juijitsu students that compete and had to stop training because my personal pressure training them was causing problems in what they do, their coaches were constantly warning them that their new reactions were classified as illegal and should be stopped, needless to say I understand the reason why they stopped and said they would come back when they stopped competing, one even brought is coach to my class and after we talked about the fight differences and changes in society he understood my approach was very militaristic as opposed sportsmanship he had fun and we became mutually respected friends. (that is just few examples)
So what you do and how train your mind and body sorry to say its what you are left with. That is also why many people who try to train more than one art at the same time wind up with what my old Kung Fu teacher would say was a confused body coordination instinct. Ever style has its own flow, only after learning that complete style can you unerringly move on to learn others of similar flow of course this is of course my own personal opinion and that of a old very opinionated Master. Now that being said you could do what I encourage all of my blackbelts to do make friends and visit classes of other styles of fighting and see how they move and see what you could exploit in there movement and what might be their reaction to something different you do, most of all make friends and learn identify other arts by their movements to have an idea of how they are taught to react to certain movements. (Humm i guess this sounds a little ninjaish but it just good recon)
Now gyakus(twists) and Nages(throws) first I will say this to you, if at all possible never enter with the idea to twist or throw the attacker this should be done as a by product of you having good positioning IE. unbalancing the aggressor first. Even with my kyu level students I teach them to do strikes before these types of counters. For example a good slap to the ears, punch in the throat, or nice hit to the ribs will aid you in getting your oni-kudaki or omote-gyaku after they are properly distracted if necessary. I once had a bodybuilder here who does martial arts here come to my class to train and tell me Omote-gyaku would note work on him because he would be able to resist it. Humm not a good idea I am rather old fashion about respect in peoples dojos. I casually stopped class and removed the student he was training with and said show me. And from same position my student was in and he was accustomed to I struck out with a Happa-Ken to his jaw and a omote-shuto to his rather large bicep and threw him on his back. No anger just a warning that was understood between to humans.
Next I would also encourage once again you to do a vigorous study of anatomy and basic hand conditioning for striking, ripping and gripping power.
Now speaking about what other Teachers inside or outside the bujinkan do will not help you as Nagoto-sensei has told many people in the past their comes a time when every student has to decide what he wants in a teacher and go after it. I remember many many years ago a great man who died recently Mark Hodel (may he rest in peace) pointed me in the right direction to train this art, that is where I met Dale Seago and through him other great teachers that led me to Japan an Soke. So the end result is what do you want from it don't worry about others it is about you, not the organization or teacher A or B JUST YOU. Because in the end you will have to defend yourself or others. So you don't like who you are training with make the move, and just train. I took the time to answer you because you seamed very honest in your desire to learn, use this and go forward. If you have more questions on training ideas PM me. I don't regularly enter here but I will return your message.
Bufu Ikkan... once again I take my leave

Posted on: 2010/11/13 3:49

Occasional Visitor
From Campinas, Brazil
Group:
Moderator please PM me and explain what you mean since my complete name has been in my profile and signiture since 2003.

Posted on: 2010/11/13 3:57

Unsubscribed
Deleted_Unsubscribed
Thanks Michael, cool post. I'll read it a again, think about it some more and get back to you:)

Posted on: 2010/11/13 4:24

Village Old Timer
From San Francisco, California, USA
Group:
Mike, I think the Mod warning was to nomihoudai.

Posted on: 2010/11/13 4:26

Unsubscribed
Deleted_Unsubscribed
If I input my full name can anyone see it or just the Mods? I've never been comfortable attaching my personal name with anything posted on the internet for privacy reasons. I will post it if it remains private from public eyes and if that information is not shared with 3rd parties, please let me know here or by private message.
Thanks

MODERATOR NOTE: DAVE isn't a full name. Only Members of the Forum can see it if they are logged in. It is a requirement to put your full name in your profile or your account will be deleted.

Posted on: 2010/11/13 4:49

Active Kutakian
From Boise, ID
Group:
I used to study Karate and I was pretty good at it. I'm a strong guy with fast reflexes. But the more I did Karate and the more people I sparred and fought, I quickly realized there is always someone stronger and faster than you. That is what started me looking for a complete martial art and what brought me to Bujinkan. This art is awsome for all those reasons you listed Papasan

Posted on: 2010/11/14 11:32

« 1 ... 14 15 16 (17)

[Advanced Search]

Today's Sponsor