fskopfpatro

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Sempai's words
Village Old Timer
From Matsudo City, Chiba, Japan
Group:
村民 :: Villager
A few weeks ago at Tokyo Budokan (Ayase) training, I greeted some of my sempai. Not people I regularly train with, but people who I know have been there a long time. I've gotten to know people in the five years I've been training with Soke.

One sempai said to me, "I just come here to hear sensei talk. I don't really get it. His movement is beyond me." And I said, "Don't worry about it." which was an attempt at being solicitous, but is kind of nervy of a rookie like me. And he just smiled. And smiled some more. I was grinning, too, as I left the dojo.

Posted on: 2008/4/1 23:52

Unsubscribed
Re: Sempai's words
Deleted_Unsubscribed
"We serve as the nexus points through which things pass; we're a place for sensations, images, meanings, words, people, and objects to come together. We constantly filter these facts, impressions, events, and emotions, endlessly selecting, and in many ways we ourselves are the result of those selections - wether hysterical, lazy, indifferent, passionate, etc. What we select has a coherence precisely because we ourselves have selected it."

- Kevin Power
"Coincidence of Memory"

Said it better than i could. ;)

Mark Spada

Posted on: 2008/4/12 8:34
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Village Old Timer
Group:
Mark, that is something like one of the meanings I intended.

We can also bestow on receptive people our feelings and thoughts. It's a choice, both from the giver and receiver, sure.

People bring their filters to Soke's training, too, and choose to see what they want, and how they choose to understand his intentions, words and movements, all affected by how they perceive themselves.

Reading Thich Nhat Hanh's Heart of the Buddha's Teaching who says of suffering and right view, "...that most of our perceptions are erroneous, and that most of our suffering comes from wrong perceptions". He goes on to say that perception happens when the perceiver and the perceived come into existence, and that the way we perceive is coloured by our experience. Depending on this store of background memory and experience, we praise or condemn what we perceive. He goes on to say, "Whether we are happy or we suffer depends largely on our perceptions. It is important to look deeply at our perceptions and know their source."

I'm not a Buddhist, but this passage really struck me when I was looking back over training notes, and recalling my and others responses in the moment, trying to grok what Sensei's doing, and interacting with our aites.

Maybe this belongs in a different thread, like "What are you bringing to your training?" or "Please leave your guns and issues at the door".

Posted on: 2008/4/13 9:52

Cant Stay Offline
From Sacramento, CA (USA)
Group:
村長 :: Admin
議長 :: Mod
Hi Liz - nice postings!

I think this is why there's so much danger in thinking you "get it" when it comes to Soke's budo. In pondering this, aren't we all learning a side of budo that is likewise tainted by Soke's perceptions?

So, when is budo just budo, beyond all these layers of perceptions? Is there such a thing?

I really don't think any of us can ever arrive at such a place because it is our very humanity that prevents us from getting there. All we can do is try to peel away our own layers of ignorance, ambition/selfishness, fears, bias, etc that taint or alter the purity of the experience. As humans trying to relate to each other through our budo training, this is important.

In my opinion, "getting" Soke's budo means to establish some sense of connectedness to Soke and his perceptions of his own budo path. For some, it may only be a brief moment. For others, much longer. I doubt there's anybody who is like that at every moment, maintaining that connection, because we are still all individually unique human beings, not designed to be clones to another.

So, is "true" budo really all about being the human beings we are? (i.e. Tetzusan?)

Posted on: 2008/4/13 10:47

I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, or in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. ~ Thomas Jefferson

Village Old Timer
From Dayton, Ohio
Group:
!!!!

Thanks

Marty

Posted on: 2008/4/13 10:54

Village Old Timer
Group:
Darren, you said -

Quote:
I really don't think any of us can ever arrive at such a place because it is our very humanity that prevents us from getting there.

Ah, something that Hanh says early on in his book comes to mind - that those who wish to learn right view, right thinking, right livelihood etc. can go on a little bit of faith. He says there have been people who have achieved right view, and ultimately enlightenment.

When we say our litany at the beginning of training, we say 大光明 daikomyo which means "The Big Light".

Quote:
All we can do is try to peel away our own layers of ignorance, ambition/selfishness, fears, bias, etc that taint or alter the purity of the experience.

Uh...We all have to keep going, eh?

Quote:
As humans trying to relate to each other through our budo training, this is important.

Soke is always telling us to be zero. No ego, no intention, no fight. Are we being told not to relate, to just take the moment as is? Just a thought...

Posted on: 2008/4/13 13:10

Permanent Village Fixture
From Cupertino, CA
Group:
Liz, Darren,

thank you for these thoughts.

Quote:

Erizabesu wrote:

Soke is always telling us to be zero. No ego, no intention, no fight. Are we being told not to relate, to just take the moment as is? Just a thought...

to me, this is one of the ultimate challenges meaning of which I constantly struggle to understand layer by layer like peeling the onion... which is not the best analogy (and then maybe it is?) because once you are done peeling off all the layers the onion, what do you have? empty space? (filled up with smell for some longer time maybe).

mn

Posted on: 2008/4/13 14:28

Permanent Village Fixture
From No. Cal., USA
Group:
Quote:

Darren wrote:
So, is "true" budo really all about being the human beings we are? (i.e. Tetzusan?)

Darren,
why would you equate being a human with being an iron mine (i.e. tetsuzan)? Are you saying that we must all be more like Iron Man?

Posted on: 2008/4/13 15:27

Village Old Timer
Group:
議長 :: Mod
Quote:

petelohstroh wrote:
Quote:

Darren wrote:

Darren,
why would you equate being a human with being an iron mine (i.e. tetsuzan)? Are you saying that we must all be more like Iron Man?

I think Darren is referring to tatsujin, and Pete is referring to Iron Mountain.

Posted on: 2008/4/13 18:26

Village Old Timer
From Istanbul Turkiye
Group:
To me Budo is just like living and living is just like Budo. Maybe this is why Soke tells us to become zero, this is true to maintain a happy life as well.

Posted on: 2008/4/14 0:37
-----------------------------------------

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Today's Sponsor