Santa Rosa Bujinkan Dojo 6 2/10 9:38
Bumbling-budoka

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 4 ... 7 »

Soke's Diet
Just Passing Through
Group:
村民 :: Villager
I have recently read Soke's recommendation to eat raw food. Would anyone please tell me what his diet is like? Especially, does he eat raw rice?

I would like to test this diet out.

Thank you,

Jesse Fister

(P.S. Bad Forum for this?)

Posted on: 2008/4/26 10:22
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Soke's Diet
Active Kutakian
Group:
Don't eat raw rice - that is very bad for you.

From The Way of the Ninja
Quote:
Having a healthy everyday diet is still the foundation on which one should build the kind of body which will help one's Taijutsu (to) grow. Above all, I recommend eating plenty of vegetables. The ninja kihon happo diet consists of brown rice, tofu, sesame, miso soup, no salt, no sugar, uncooked food and colored vegetables.

He does go on to mention roasting brown rice using a stone and sunlight but doesn't explain it - different than raw.

From the diet and lifestyle section of Togakure Ryu Ninpo Taijutsu he gives Takamatsu's diet at 80 as consisting of 3 meals a day of tofu, sesame, vegetables, sobako (noodle flour) and small fish eaten whole. His own diet at the time of writing the book consisted of, for lunch, large quanitites of raw vegetables eaten straight from the strainer, brown rice, tofu, sesame and small fish and for dinner raw vegetables and anything he wants as the main but preferably raw and without spices or seasoning.

The book [i]Ima Ninja[/i) gives the same sorts of recomendations but also includes not eating things with four legs.

Posted on: 2008/4/26 12:34

[i]"One should be neither strong nor weak, neither soft nor hard. Leave such thoughts behind, awaken

Cant Stay Offline
From Pennsylvania, USA
Group:
議長 :: Mod
師導士会 :: Shidoshikai
The choices of what you put in your body ARE rather important. So many in the West live off of fast foods ---- hamburgers, Kentucky fried chicken, sodas instead of water, and on and on. Why do you think we have so much obesity in our society? For myself I almost never have a "soda" and make certain I have at least 2 litres of water every day. The more fresh vegetables and fruits you can put in your daily diet the better for you. So much depends on you but if you eat a healthy diet you will be the benefactor. Don't try to go "vegetarian" unless you first educate yourself on nutrition as no vegetable has a complete protein and combinations are needed or your body suffers. Do your own homework on this before you act and try to lessen any of the "fast foods" that are the 'stable' in so many Western diets. OK this is all just my opinion.

Posted on: 2008/4/26 22:16

Deleted_
Unless Hatsumi is a dietician I would maybe consider consulting a pro. instead of copying his diet. Plenty of people do not digest raw veggies very well, and you don't want them farting up the place..

Now you may say Hatsumi is old and moves really well so we should follow his diet, but I had an uncle who drank a case of warm beer a day and lived to over 80 and was pretty squirely... I'm pretty sure he never ate anything that was not fried in lard either, and he smoked cigs that he rolled himself. The crazy guy hunted for rabbits all the time with a bunch of dogs, hiking miles in the woods, and dug holes all over to place for some crazy reason we never figured out, and were to afraid to ask.

Your dietary needs are unique to you, your age, activity level, allergies, where you live and a host of other factors. You might be a person who can eat steak three times a day and live to 100, and you could be the guy who ends up sick all the time from eating to many greens. I know my dad could not process vitamin K correctly for some reason, and his medication made it worse so he could not eat any green leafy things.

Hatsumi's diet might be great for him and suck badly for you. He probably has a good idea what his particular body needs, but that does not mean that your body would respond favorably to his diet.

Cooking rice on a rock is kind of crazy. I read the story of where Takamatsu did this when he was sick and went up on the mountain to train, but if I recall he cooked it on the rock because he forgot to bring anything to cook it in (been forever since I read that book, so I could be confused.)

Point is that everyone is different with their diets, you need to find out what works for you.

Posted on: 2008/4/27 14:37

Cant Stay Offline
From Sacramento, CA (USA)
Group:
村長 :: Admin
Quote:
Point is that everyone is different with their diets, you need to find out what works for you.

I think Lance summed it up nicely here. In Jack Hoban's book, he wrote about exposing your body to all kinds of conditions in order to learn from it. For instance, how does your body respond to a diet of junk food, as opposed to bland, healthy food. Knowing how your body adapts to what you put into it is valuable information. You might have to survive on different things.

Learning what plants are edible, how to hunt/cook various animals and so on is good training if you are ever lost in the wild.

Losing weight to regain your vigor and health would require lowing calorie intake (i.e. diet) and increasing calorie burn rate (i.e. exercise).

Knowing your chemical makeup, various blood sugar levels throughout the day, cholestorol and trigliceride levels, etc are good reference points.

Also, you need to keep in mind that health and nutrition information is far more accurate now than it was back then. Hell, the early Irish doctors used to prescribe Guiness to pregnant moms, saying it was good for their unborn babies...

Diet and exercise are not complicated topics. You don't need some ancient methodology to build a healthy, age-resilient body. Common sense in food choices and lots of good exercise should serve you well enough.

Posted on: 2008/4/27 15:09

I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, or in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. ~ Thomas Jefferson

Cant Stay Offline
From Pennsylvania, USA
Group:
師導士会 :: Shidoshikai
Excellent post Lance!!! It really is up to the individual to educate themselves on what works for them. They should also know how different foods and drinks affect them. Never be caught by surprise because you didn't take the time to know when you HAD time.

Posted on: 2008/4/27 23:16

Honorary Villager
From Chattanooga Tennessee
Group:
I can see all the points here, but let me play devils advocate. I have been studying this diet for quite some time (years) and over the past six months or so, I have lost 30 unwanted pounds and still have at least 40 to go.

This diet is a life change in eating habits. Some of the things I have noticed is increased alertness, feel nourished from what I do eat, takes longer to eat so i dont get as full, (the time it takes to eat seems to be equal to the time it takes for the stomache to send messages to the brain it's satisfied.), my fingernails are clearing up of ridges, (getting better calcium, milk does not do a body good.), no more indigestion, sleep better, wake up earlier having had better sleep with fewer hours, do not get as tired through the day, saves money, saves on the electrical bill, and this is just the beginning.

If one takes the time to study the nutrition gained from each component, there is a reason for it being there. For instance, red beans and shitaki mushrooms are thought to have cancer fighting elements, among other things, the sesame seeds carry very good minerals for the body as do the fruits and vegatables. Small fish mentioned in the diet are because they do not absorb the pollutants or poisons of larger fish as they are on the bottom of the food chain. Brown rice is loaded with fiber and calcium and is easy on the digestive system. Kelp, this stuff is awesome, because of some medical problems I have had in the past, I can see that it has very positive results. Tofu and miso are loaded in amino acids. No salt and no sugar for obvious reasons. there is much more to each thing and I have only hit a few highlights.

The way I would describe this diet is a macrobiotic pecetarian diet. These are my results, your mileage may vary.

Posted on: 2008/4/28 11:19

Like a mule eatin' Briars. :)

Villager
Group:
I am certain that there will always be things that are good (2 litres of clean water) and things that are bad, as well as what we personally can tolerate that others can't (like me and french fries). Two thoughts I'd like to chime in.

1st, that when we are adjusting our diet to something better (more greens, for example) we need to give our bodies time to adjust. It may take a couple of weeks to see if something really does help. The first few days may be spent farting up the place (as Lance put it) or with even more B.O. as your body purges toxins. Or if you are switching to an anti-candida diet you may find yourself itching in embarassing places at the beginning.

2nd, the Taoists have a 5 element system in which they look at the time, day, month and year of birth to derive your personal element mix. In their paradigm, someone who is lacking fire in their mix will be drawn towards guns, smoking, TV and computers and suffer less (or no) ill-effects from them (Takamatsu sensei was a smoker too, let's not forget that), while those who lack wood in their mix will totally love veggies, books and doing creative stuff.

I had a freaky experience with a person who knew that system. From my date of birth he told me my favorite foods, colors, time of the day and which parts of Singapore I enjoy the most... As I said, freaky...

Junjie

Posted on: 2008/4/28 11:36

Permanent Village Fixture
From Cupertino, CA
Group:
CHris,
very interesting observatins. Thanks for sharing that.
I have only one question, why do you say that milk is bad?

Quote:

ChrisSand wrote:
(getting better calcium, milk does not do a body good.),

Posted on: 2008/4/28 16:30

Kutaki Postmaster
From Dublin, Ireland
Group:
I have no idea if the science behind the 'milk is bad' theory is sound, but the reasoning I've heard for it in the past is twofold.

The first is that human beings are the only mammal to drink the milk of another mammal and that cow's milk is designed for the digestive systems of baby cows. Our digestive systems don't deal with it well, and it makes many people produce too much mucus. (On a side note, I've been able to significantly reduce the amount of asthma-related drugs I have to take as a result of reducing the dairy products I take in. Given that many asthma related-drugs are mood altering and have unpleasant side effects over time, that's a good enough reason for me to avoid dairy.)

The other theory regarding milk I've heard is not that it's bad as such, but rather that the main reason people promote it - because of it's calcium content - is a red herring. The theory is that calcium is required to give you strong bones, but the body is designed to produce calcium itself from the foods we ingest - primarily green leafy vegetables. Ingesting calcium in a drink apparently doesn't mean your body can assimilate and use that calcium in that form. I've heard similar arguments against taking vitamin supplements - the best way to get vitamins and minerals is through eating a healthy and varied diet, predominently made up of fresh vegetables, fruit, lean meat and lots of water to wash it down.

As I said, I'm not a dietician, so if there is a factual flaw in what I've written, I'd be interested to hear about it.

Posted on: 2008/4/28 17:16

(1) 2 3 4 ... 7 »

[Advanced Search]

Today's Sponsor