Recent Topics

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 »

MidWest Tai Kai 2008
Frequent Visitor
From Westlake Village, California
Group:
Gaijin (Inactive)
I just read about the Mid West Tai Kai this year. This sounds to be groundbreaking in many ways. A whole new "Era" in the Bujinkan. What exactly are we going to do with this "opportunity"? Hatsumi Soke will be watching. Funny, the outcome will be telling.

Posted on: 2008/5/8 13:24
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: MidWest Tai Kai 2008
Village Old Timer
From Dayton, Ohio
Group:
村民 :: Villager
Thanks for the intro,

This is part of the intro letter to the Taikai, I think it describes what we hope to do.

The Bujinkan has a large Bank of experienced people training in the United States. They come from all walks of life and have many different experiences in life and training. There are just as many different training styles and practices. In an effort to connect the network and create a Training Community from this loose net of Budoka, we have received permission to hold a Midwest Taikai on the weekend of August 8, 2008 at the Dayton Bujinkan Dojo.

The focus for this meeting will be to Discover Our Community. We will have various Shidoshi showing how they train in a variety of “hot” topics. What are just as important will be planned discussions to help create a working network and plan future Taikai.

We are interested in finding out how people approach and train in several topics – including but not limited to…
1) Randori
2) Ground fighting
3) Escaping the Kata crutch
4) Being Zero – how to flow from movement to movement without actually doing techniques (Chotto Hanpa)
5) Shinnenjutsu – exploring ways to control your opponent’s perceptions.
6) Solo training – personal training augmentation.

The above are the general headings we may use to break up training on the Taikai Weekend. We have a growing number of committed Shidoshi willing to help with teaching responsibilities. If we should be lucky enough to have an abundance of people willing to show their training styles, we will make an attempt to have as many different people participate. Some will be a matter of first come first serve; some will be a matter of our own choice (there has to be some advantage of running the thing!)

At the very least, it will be a great time meeting people from all over the Midwest, and have a good time doing what we love, training and talking about training!

The Date chosen for the Taikai is August 8th, 2008 or 08/08/08. The date is a convenient combination of Nothing and Infinity that we think is perfect for the Bujinkan. Our Location at the Dayton Bujinkan Dojo has a large training facility with several large open fields for potential outdoor draining episodes, and picnic room. Information about the Taikai can be found at http://midwestbujinkantaikai.org/

Soke has directed us to be sure to train with good people, with good hearts. He remembered that Dayton was the first place he came in the United States to train and wished luck in our efforts!

Here is hoping you can join us

Marty Dunsky

Posted on: 2008/5/9 1:44

Deleted_
The proliferation of these "Tai Kai" events lately has left a mildy sour taste in my mouth, but when I read that this is a free event I have to say I immediately changed my opinion.

Kudos to everyone putting this together, because that is a great idea!

If I was in the Midwest I would definitely lend a hand...

Posted on: 2008/5/9 2:03

Kutaki Postmaster
From Dublin, Ireland
Group:
I know what you mean Jeff, the idea of a tai kai enjoys a particular association in most people's minds, and it's odd to think of them happening without Sensei. Also, it would be shame if the words taikai became just another word for seminar.

However, Soke has explicitly encouraged these events to happen, and if the spirit behind them is good, there's no reason why they can't herald a new era for cooperative Bujinkan training.

Money is a difficult issue, as it can create problems in otherwise normal people. To head this off at the pass, at the Irish Taikai last year, all the proceeds were donated to charity and we raised around €14,000 (don't know what that is in dollars or yen, probably around $20,000 or 2 million yen?) that was spent in Milawi on providing essential medical care to kids orphaned by AIDS.

By making it free (or raising cash for a mutually agreed upon good cause) you remove one of the barriers to participation for teachers. The Irish Taikai was one of the best training events we've ever had and it proved a great way to unit different groups who wouldn't otherwise see each other from one end of the year to the other, for whatever reason.

I hope the US event plays the same role. Best of luck Marty!

Posted on: 2008/5/9 2:36

Permanent Village Fixture
From Seattle
Group:
This sounds very cool.

What Shidoshi will be teaching on these topics?
Will you be filming it?

Good luck Marty !
And congratulations on the Naga wins.

Posted on: 2008/5/9 4:14

Cant Stay Offline
From Pennsylvania, USA
Group:
議長 :: Mod
師導士会 :: Shidoshikai
Marty, that sounds really great. I wish you all success in this cooperative effort. For about 10 years the "BuFest" has been held near Springfield, IL with a number of instructors cooperating, this year it will be the first weekend of Sept. This type of working together gives cause for a lot of optimism for the Bujinkan's future.

Posted on: 2008/5/9 5:03

Village Old Timer
From Dayton, Ohio
Group:
Quote:

D_Cecc wrote:

What Shidoshi will be teaching on these topics?
Will you be filming it?

The website will be updated by Jeff Ochester as people contact us. The whole goal of this meeting is slightly different than previous Taikais with Soke or other "big name" instructors. Don't get me wrong....those are great learning events and the "big names" are well worth the time and money to see and learn from.

I feel that one thing that separates the Bujinkan from other martial arts is what was said on another thread recently. We have been given the freedom to teach in the manner we see fit. Also to make the art our own. To fit our own bodies and talents - or lack there of. It is because we are not a cookie cutter art that we have such cool free form cookies. We could just as easily called the Taikai "A taste of Bujinkan". We want to sample many different people. Their styles, their movement, and enjoy the differences. We plan to celebrate the differences! Then the smart ones there will go about stealing what they like! (but they better leave our weapons alone!)

We will be filming the training but only to give copies to those who teach, and to show Soke what we did. (when given permission, you have so say how it went!).

Big names? There might be some, Big Fun? You know it!!!!

Marty.

By the way, the guys at NAGA didn't seem to get our "Ow Quit it" shirts.

Posted on: 2008/5/9 7:02

Deleted_
Quote:

JeffMueller wrote:
The proliferation of these "Tai Kai" events lately has left a mildy sour taste in my mouth, but when I read that this is a free event I have to say I immediately changed my opinion.

Likewise - this is an AWESOME idea - kudos to you Marty for putting this together...

I must admit a certain amount of dark humor in the juxtaposition of your free event with the "other" taikai event in the US weighing in at $295.00 (at the door).

Ka-Boom!

Love it - keep it up guys.

-Daniel

Posted on: 2008/5/9 9:40

Village Old Timer
From Dayton, Ohio
Group:
It costs alot of money to bring distinguished instructors in from out of town. To rent a hotel ballroom and everything else involved....It is something I would never be able to do.

I don't think our event is in any competition with any of the traditional seminar type meetings. I truly think of this as a "training" event. If I wasn't going to be very busy with our own event, I certainly would by going to Atlanta.

I also don't think of our event as the Discount training. It is something entirely different. We shall see if it is more beneficial than just a really fun weekend.

Marty

Posted on: 2008/5/9 10:08

Deleted_
Quote:

mrdunsky wrote:

I also don't think of our event as the Discount training. It is something entirely different. We shall see if it is more beneficial than just a really fun weekend.

Marty

I am not implying "Discount" training at all - rather the opposite.

I wish you only the best of luck - and hope it is BOTH beneficial and fun. The BJK needs more of this kind of thing.

-Daniel

PS. Really - this isn't a trap, Marty. I am honestly and sincerely happy for what you are doing. If I was anywhere near Ohio - I would stop by to help in anyway I could.

Posted on: 2008/5/13 0:26

(1) 2 3 »

[Advanced Search]

Today's Sponsor