Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Socialize

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Burnishing blade
Deleted_
Hello people of kuta no mura!

I recently bought a katana for practising and for decoration. But blade is dirty and mat. So what is the best and easiest way to clean up this sword and make it shine? =) I am not sure how to do it, water doesnt seem to do nothing and I am not sure what kind of detergent I should use. Or what is best way to do it? Use detergents, or other?

What suggest you?

I am not sure is it iaito or a katana. Cutting edge isnt sharpened. I think it was cheap for anyways. 50€, not much for this I think. Can't get even iaito with that prize. It is made by Jiang's sword co.
http://sword.en.alibaba.com/

Here is a picture of my sword. Quite bad quality picture, but it seems to be good quality.
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a60/ ... 0e7d6b8da757c9d4-orig.jpg

What do you think about it? At least it works fine for practising, and for that price think I won lottery. =)

Posted on: 2008/5/11 20:09
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Burnishing blade
Frequent Visitor
From Colorado
Group:
村民 :: Villager
Hi There,

The sword you purchased appears to be one of the many inexpensive blades from China which, unfortunately, has a fairly low quality blade and mediocre fittings. Not being able to handle the sword itself I am only speculating. Depending on what is dirtying the blade (oil, glue, discoloration, rust?) there are a multitude of different methods you could use. I would first suggest water with some scouring powder (Ajax, Bon Ami, etc.) to see if that removes what is dirtying the blade. This should work even if the blade is chrome plated.

If there is rust, then first use a VERY fine steel wool and see if that takes care of the problem. The only issue with any method where you use any kind of abrasive on steel is you have the potential to "remove" the shine and/or chrome. For just steel, the shine can be fixed by buffing the blade out if you have the equipment (and experience as buffing ANY blade is VERY dangerous). Another, more labor intensive option is to get some buffing compound from a hardware store and use it on a clean cloth and buff by hand. This takes a while but it will work. If the blade is chrome plated, then you run the risk of removing the chrome with this method. Chrome can only be replaced by electroplating it back on so that is out of most people's budgets (and experience).

If the blade is not sharpened, I would suggest you keep it this way and keep it as a practice sword. IF you choose to sharpen the blade, then do so carefully and I would be happy to give you some suggestions if/when you choose this route. Based on what you have said about the blade, and the pictures I saw, I don't suggest sharpening however, it would not be useful and the sharpened blade would not be useful for cutting anything other than VERY light materials.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask!

Posted on: 2008/5/12 23:56

[Advanced Search]

Today's Sponsor