Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Socialize

Recent Topics

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Bottom   Previous Topic   Next Topic  Topic is Locked

(1) 2 3 4 ... 7 »

www.Bu-Tube.com (Bujinkan Media Sharing Community)
Honorary Villager
Group:
村民 :: Villager
www.Bu-Tube.com
Bujinkan Media Sharing Community

Hello,

I wanted to get the opinion of many members in the Bujinkan on a project I have been working on originally for my Dojo here in Arizona, USA. It is a website that is a match to the functions of YouTube except it would be just for all of the Bujinkan to share their video clips, advertise seminars, etc. So Bu-Tube could be one location like this forum to see training clips from around the world from Bujinkan Dojos.

So my question is what do you all think of the idea? The website is up and running and currently open to the public. You do have to sign up to upload videos or post comments. I am in the process of further developing this site. You can upload videos in many formats up to 100MBs at a time. The website will then convert your video after it has been uploaded for you.

So instead of videos being lost in the mness of YouTube they could all be in one place on our very own Bu-Tube.com!

Do you think the site should be for members only? Would it be best to have a system where you must for instance submit a current Shidoshi-kai card to be able to upload? I am open to any and all suggestions.

I want the site to be a place where all of the Bujinkan could share in a healthy "Buyu" manner. I will not allow negative comments to be posted or illegal content.

"CHANNELS"
One main idea I have begun to explore is have a "Channel" to represent a specific Dojo. So if you want a Channel for your Dojo you would email me at info@bu-tube.com with your Dojo name and the site Administrator would create your Dojo Channel for you. This way you can upload videos to that Channel and other related ones to keep them very organized. When a visitor goes to the website they could look up training in a particular country, town, city, location, by tag words, etc and find training.

Channel Suggestions:
If you have suggestions for Channel titles please post them so I can add them to the site.

As the site grows in use I would need to upgrade the server it is on to a better hosting plan. Maybe a very small fee to become a site member like $2 or so to pay for the hosting?

I think the potential could be great if all Bujinkan members could use it in a mature manner inline with the rules of the Bujinkan.

So what do you all think of www.Bu-Tube.com? Please visit the site, register and begin to share. Please post your thoughts here.

BUFU IKKAN!

Posted on: 2008/5/22 15:00
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: www.Bu-Tube.com (Bujinkan Media Sharing Community)
Village Old Timer
From Dayton, Ohio
Group:
I think you might find some willing to lay it all out, but with the history of video on the web and the current caustic attitude of making yourself feel better by berating someone else, there will be few worth seeing.

Marty

Posted on: 2008/5/22 18:41

Kutaki Postmaster
From Dublin, Ireland
Group:
I think you’ve done something technically interesting, so well done on that count. It's all too easy to shoot people down online without acknowledging people's initiative and willingness to try out new things and new ideas. So well done on that count.

That said, personally I think that video on the internet is usually a bad idea. What’s it for exactly?

Usually it’s about the personal gratification of the person posting the video. Or so it seems to me. It’s possible there are people posting clips through a sincere desire to help educate other budoka, but I’m quite old fashioned in that I think that should only happen in the dojo.

It’s also sadly true that there seems to be an ‘inverse law of competence’ in effect on youtube and similar sites. This law dictates that the “willingness of someone to post video footage of themselves online is inversely proportional to their actual skill.”

Often people seem to get excited about having the ability to post video without stopping to ask if they should. I remember years ago someone (possibly Soke?) saying something about how publishing books on budo is a good thing to do, but books have a habit of hanging around showing up how crap you were at the time you made them, even if 20 years have gone by and you’re actually quite good now.

We’re now in the internet age, and the same is true – 1s and 0s are forever. Frankly though, 90 per cent of the footage I’ve seen is embarrassingly bad and is obviously there because the person posting it isn’t aware how crap they are and wants to show off.

Now, to be fair, not all of it is like that – just the majority. The remainder tends to be illegally pirated clips from commercially available DVDs by Soke or other teachers, or clips from TV shows or other such material. There is some good material out there that’s been deliberately posted by some skilled people, but it’s like finding two or three specific grains of sand on a beach.

I think it’s also interesting to ask why none of the Japanese shihan have their own youtube channels? After all, what are they waiting for? I think if you asked them that (and of course, I can’t know this for sure, but at a guess) they’d ask you why they would want to do that? What would the answer be? It’s back to gratifying the ego really isn’t it?

This is just my opinion, so take it for what it’s worth. Again, I think what you’ve done is technically quite interesting, so well done for taking some initiative.

Posted on: 2008/5/22 19:30

Honorary Villager
Group:
I agree there are people who are into their own ego... I also feel there are many talented people training in the Bujinkan as well both in Japan and around the world.

I think if you keep in mind that the clips on the internet are just advertisement for the real training there is not much harm in it at all... I would rather have the whole site members only and not open to all of the public for many reasons. Not using the site as a tool to teach but just another way for the Bujinkan community to share with each other is all. Showcase your training: the good, the bad, and the training really hard to get better. I think it takes a lot of courage to put yourself out there and show: hey here is a video clip of us training, screwing it all up, and working it all out together to grow together!

I only am posting about bu-tube to get a overall sense of how others feel... My main purpose was to make the site for my dojo and friends only to share in a secure manner. After more time and more feedback from others in the Bujinkan community I may close the site to my dojo only as I originally intended.

If we can get past the ego lesson and the lesson about you can't learn from a video... does anyone have any other comments/suggestions?

If many feel the site is a waste or will be a bad thing I will be more then happy with letting everyone use YouTube. It is a powerful tool though... I really feel that a video sharing site has its good and bads points in the exact same way as a forum like Kutaki no Mura. But... I am willing to explore the potential of the site.

An Important Note: I am not making this site to make some name for myself. Providing a place for all Bujinkan members to practice the fine art of "share-jutsu" which if you ask me is one of the most lacking jutsu around. (just because you post videos doesn't mean you train any less then others.)

Anyway I really look forward to more feedback, suggestions, concerns, etc...

Please keep it coming... The largest concern I have is Hatsumi Sensei. I know he has very strong feelings about the content and use of the internet. I still feel if done correctly something like Bu-Tube can be a tool to help our "Bujinkan Community" grow closer together all around the world. Representing the Bujinkan in a correct manner is at the top of my list!

Are we as martial artists able to get together and share in a healthy way with the growing tools of "OUR" time? I wonder what the tools of the future have in store for us 50 years or more down the road?

"Global Communication" is a good thing in any age no? Global understanding of various cultures, differences, language barriers, etc...

Anyway, when I see a video of training it just makes my blood boil for Budo even more and want to train more with my Buyu because I love Budo.

Does the internet have to be the devil's work?

What is video on the internet for exactly... SHARE-JUTSU. What is a forum on the internet for... the same SHARE-JUTSU.

(I really would like security measures in place on bu-tube)

Posted on: 2008/5/22 20:16

Villager
From Yamagata, Japan
Group:
I have to say I totally agree with Alex here. While this type of thing can be a good thing, you really need to ask why do it? For myself, I don't have a problem with video per se, what I do have a problem with is what is made public. Somethings (in my opinion) should only be passed on through a direct transmission, teacher to student. I remember that when I started training that the Tenchijin was held in almost reverential awe, as THE BOOK. Given only by the teacher when a student passed their godan, nowadays it can be bought on the internet, or even downloaded on varioussites. It cheapens the teachings in my opinion.
While I applauded the technology that allows you to make this type of site, again...why?

Posted on: 2008/5/22 20:27
Japan.

Honorary Villager
Group:
I do not feel that sharing video "clips" from various Dojos all around the world would "cheapen" my training experience at all. Takamatsu Sensei is dead god rest his soul. I remember watching the Takamatsu Sensei DVD for the first time and listing/watching that section of the video where Hatsumi Sensei gets a little choked up while talking about his teacher. Then the gift of getting to see Takamtsu Sensei move.

My motivation for why do it I posted already "Share-Jutsu". I would rather watch others from around the world training hard to master the art we all love then say Barney, The Simpsons, or Star Trek! LOL Sorry to all the Trekies out there!

I agree that heart to heart transmission or fist to face transmission or man to man transmission is the best. I really do not see how the sharing on the internet diminishes that in any way.

Now as for security concerns: I am just about ready to put into effect the members only features of bu-tube. It is easier to get feedback from many people with the site open to the public. In a short time the site can be made to be members only where the admin has to allow the new registration before that person can enter the site to see any content. In the sign up form there will be fields for things such as:
-your dojo name
-who is your teacher
-maybe personal contact info that can be hidden from other members.

There are many ways to secure the site. (again it can either be for all of the Bujinkan family or just a cool tool for my own Dojo).

Posted on: 2008/5/22 20:47

Villager
From Yamagata, Japan
Group:
So basically what you are saying is that you don't actually want feedback that is negative to what you want to do?

Posted on: 2008/5/22 20:57
Japan.

Honorary Villager
Group:
Please lets not make comments to each other like your last one. I will not be pulled into some argument. I want ALL feedback none of which I see as negative. I value everything that has been said so far. I do feel that as we discus this further I will have to be very careful to clarify my intentions is all which I am trying my best to do. I am sorry if something I posted so far seems to make you think otherwise.

Many may hold the view of bu-tube being not so good of an idea while others may feel differently. I feel strongly about a tool to be able to let our Bujinkan community share with each other in a secure manner.

Why write a book?, Why make a video?, Why have a forum like Kutaki?, Why have instant messaging?, Why use e-mail? Aren't these all tools for communication?

I think all forms of technology and advancement have InYo/YinYang to them. They can be abused or applied in a healthy manner no?

I think it was a great day when Kutaki no Mura opened up and many of the posts died down on e-budo in relationship to our art and the Bujinkan. Isn't Kutaki no Mura a tool for all of the Bujinkan to use and work on Share-Jutsu together? I go back and forth myself on all the points made.

I think in the end, which I feel will be rather quickly, Bu-Tube will just be a passing idea. I am good with computers... Bu-Tube is also an outlet for me to give back in my way to the art which has changed my entire life. This is also, my personal intention.

BuFu Ikkan!

(please keep it coming and let me know how you feel please) I am not set in my way here at all. However, I do have my view on how the internet can be a great tool that can be used to bring people closer together.

Posted on: 2008/5/22 21:22

Honorary Villager
Group:
I want to address some security issues or features that are easy to put in place:

It is very easy to make it impossible to embed the video in another site. It is very easy to prevent this. Again, right now you can link to videos or embed them in other sites. I can change that very easily once I make the site members only.

The part I can not prevent is people downloading the video clips and then re-uploading them in another location just like YouTube.

So far the feedback I have received both on the forum and in personal e-mails makes the point of "sure there is great potential for good (maybe), but there is also maybe greater potential for bad".

So we can continue to discus it here but already I have decided to close the site down and make it something for maybe my own Dojo only.

Even though there maybe only a few posts so far I have received a number of private emails with a lot of great feedback over a number of days.

Thanks for the suggestion and insight.

Posted on: 2008/5/22 21:40

Honorary Villager
From denton, tx
Group:
when you click on the link it wants some type of authorization to get into the site. What do I do now?

Posted on: 2008/5/22 22:49

(1) 2 3 4 ... 7 »

Topic is Locked

[Advanced Search]

Today's Sponsor