Socialize

Recent Topics

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Chinese remedies- do they work?
Villager
From County Down, Northern Ireland
Group:
村民 :: Villager
Anyone got any anecdotes or positive experience regarding chinese or herbal remedies?

I sometimes use wintergreen oil which i find is very versatile, seems to help my asthma and ease strained or injured muscles etc.

Posted on: 2008/6/8 4:08
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Chinese remedies- do they work?
Kutaki Postmaster
From Los Angeles
Group:
If you have the correct diagnosis then that should lead to the correct prescription and then the prognosis should be good!

feel free to pm me for any info.

Posted on: 2008/6/8 11:18

Permanent Village Fixture
From No. Cal., USA
Group:
Thomas,
I have lots. I did a good chunk of my doctoral research in the area of pharmcology and toxicology in China (Anhui, Beijing, and Nanjing) and had the chance to work with several clinicians trained in traditional and western medicines. I got treatments from time to time and enough information to make and use traditional and patent medicines. I have gotten good results from otc/tcm (over the counter/trad. Chinese medicines) cold and flu remedies and stuff for muscle and bone injuries.

I'd find a doc trained at one of the top schools in Beijing, Shanghai, or Nanjing and get the treatment you want. Failing that, find an herb shop with a TCM trained doc the next time you have a flu.

Caveats:
Traditional patent meds are not miracle drugs nor should they be considered harmless and used without proper understanding. Furthermore, many can be contaminated with environmental toxicants based becuase of high levels of pollution in the regions they are produced in concert with poor quality control.

Posted on: 2008/6/9 1:35

Village Old Timer
From Matsudo City, Chiba, Japan
Group:
I suggest that, for the sake of comparison, you research about 漢方kanpou, the Japanese version of TCM. This method of healing came from China to Japan centuries ago, incorporates Shiatsu and other healing methods, and prescribes in ways very different from TCM.

I received Kampo and accupuncture in 1999 when I suffered a skateboard accident that injured my knee. The treatment completely relieved the pain, but I was aware of pressure and sensitivity on the knee cap while it was healing. I only had three treatments over a month with kampo and accupuncture adminsitered by the same practitioner. The practioner who treated me was based in Matsuyama City, Ehime Prefecture.

Posted on: 2008/6/9 23:14

Kutaki Postmaster
From Los Angeles
Group:
Quote:

Erizabesu wrote:
I suggest that, for the sake of comparison, you research about 漢方kanpou, the Japanese version of TCM. This method of healing came from China to Japan centuries ago, incorporates Shiatsu and other healing methods, and prescribes in ways very different from TCM.

On a very basic level Kampo is the use of medicinal drugs that are based on the theories of the "Shang Han Lun" (a classical text). TCM incorporates formulas and theories from a variety of different classical texts and have a greater amount of classical formulations to base the prescripstions from. If practiced correctly (ie. correct diagnosis), they are both very effective.

But there is not one "cure-all" for a specific disease. For example: If a person is diagnosed with "Athsma", there is not a specific formula for athsma because in Chinese medicine there is no names for diseases. They base the treatments on excess and deficiencies in the body and the organ systems and how the qi, blood, fluids, etc. are circulating in the body. So two different diagnosis can manifest in "Atshmatic" type of symptoms. Did this make sense?

So to recomend a specific formula for a specific "Western Diagnosis" is not the method of treatment of Chinese Medicine.

Posted on: 2008/6/10 2:44

Cant Stay Offline
From Pennsylvania, USA
Group:
議長 :: Mod
師導士会 :: Shidoshikai
That is also my understanding Mr Franco. In very general terms western medicine treats symtoms while Chinese medicine treats the cause. There is a gentleman in Sydney, Australia that is absolutely excellent in this, Bennie Fang. I have met and talked to him a couple of times and if your situation is really serious or you live in Sydney, I'd recomend him highly.

Posted on: 2008/6/10 6:44

Kutaki Postmaster
From Los Angeles
Group:
Quote:

Papa-san wrote:
That is also my understanding Mr Franco. In very general terms western medicine treats symtoms while Chinese medicine treats the cause.

I think that the western/eastern approach is different in some ways. There is a saying in the Eastern Medical Community which is let the Alopathic Medicine treat the emergency then give the patient to us after they are stable.

What is very interesting is that in China the hospitals have a ward where Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM) is practiced hand in hand with the alopathic docs. They even go so far as to give remedies with both eastern herbs and western meds mixed together in one pill and they seem to work very well-the future of medicine! BTW TCM is a specialty in China and it isn't regarded as alternative medicine like how we refer to it here in the U.S.

I am involved in a study at this time that will hopefully propel the U.S. in this direction. The good news is that this "newer" generation of M.D.'s have had exposure to TCM so they are very intrigued an open to the idea...most of them anyway

The good thing is that there has been alot of research from other countries that is spilling into the U.S. that shows the efficacy of TCM. So the U.S. is on it's way to "catching up" to other countries.

Posted on: 2008/6/10 10:48

[Advanced Search]

Today's Sponsor