Recent Topics

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 ... 9 »

Re: New book by Soke - Unarmed fighting techniques of the Samurai
Village Old Timer
From Istanbul Turkiye
Group:
村民 :: Villager
Like Soke's other books, one can not learn a technique by just reading the book and looking at the pictures. Many times I look at the pictures and say ''Is this the Kata I know?''. It is very true that without training with HatsumiSensei and Shihans we can not get the true essence. I think we must not look at the pictures and Katas on the books, the written knowledge is much more interesting to me as that reflects Soke's insight.
This year I remember Soke talked about his new book a few times at one of them he said ''If you read the book your Taijutsu will get worse'' hehehehe..typical Soke . I pre-paid the book and waiting it from amazon.

Posted on: 2008/6/26 17:58
-----------------------------------------
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Active Kutakian
Group:
Quote:

raitei12110 wrote:
Welcome back to Kutaki Duncan!!

Thank you Thomas.

Quote:

raitei12110 wrote:
Didn't you say that you were "done" with Kutaki last year? I guess you felt the need to come back and clean house. How clean is your house?

I came back because I was happy with a change that has been made. But I don’t plan to participate as much as I used to.

Quote:

raitei12110 wrote:
I never said I trained under ishi souden. Don't put words in my mouth.

I reread your posts and yes, you didn’t say that, I had merely assumed this from your previous statements such as “This new book is a wonderful reference for budoka who are experiencing ishi soden. For those who are not, well, good luck...”

For misreading you I apologize.

But I do stand by my statement – I will just modify it to

Hatsumi-sensei trained under isshi soden with Takamatsu-sensei – even those training in Japan just attend classes.

Maybe saying "I train under isshi soden" sounds a lot grander than just saying "I attend classes in Japan"?

Quote:

raitei12110 wrote:
BTW, where is your place in all of this anyway?

I’m not sure what you are asking here? In terms of training I train at my own dojo and one or twice a year travel to Japan to attend classes.

In terms of this thread I hold an opinion of which I think I am correct in the generally accepted definition of “isshi sodden” and that it the term is sometimes mistakenly used in the Bujinkan by those who want to make their training sound more important.

Quote:

raitei12110 wrote:
Oh yeah, saying things in Japanese to Nagato Sensei likeタバコ吸わない ; gives you a lot of credibility in my book. You seemed very impressed with yourself.

I’m stretching my mind to remember discussing smoking with Nagato-sensei? Did he ask me if I smoked or something? Anyway since I don’t remember I can’t comment on the gain or loss or credibility in your eyes. I don’t even remember who you are actually but it sounds like we met.

Quote:

raitei12110 wrote:
Why don't you take some lessons from Shawn and learn how to approach sensitive matters with a tad more respect.

Well Shawn is a nice guy.

I assume the sensitive matter in this case was your ego because I don’t see how I attacked you in any way other than disagreeing with you in this case.

And I stand by my opinion, if anyone inside or outside of Japan thinks that attending classes by soke or any other shihan means they are under isshi soden then maybe they can also think that by buying the new book they are receiving the densho and are now menkyo kaiden?

Posted on: 2008/6/27 0:11

村長 :: Sonchou
From Chiba, Japan
Group:
村長 :: Admin
Thanks Thomas,

Quote:
It is up to Soke to determine who is a deshi or not.

I completely agree and was hoping that you'd say that. :)

Quote:
There are others who feel they are “getting it” when they actually aren’t.

Again, agreed - and I also think that it is wise to remember that this statement can just as easily apply to yourself or myself at some time or another in our training no matter how long we have been in Japan.

This is an interesting topic, although a little bit of an argument seems to be developing. I hope that this can be kept civil.

Shawn

Posted on: 2008/6/27 19:56

Villager
From Alma, Michigan
Group:
I am looking forward to getting the book here in the States eventually. Even though I preordered the wait is killing me. Still, it is very interesting to hear everything from the people who have either read it or translated it. Keep going!

Posted on: 2008/6/28 5:31

Deleted_
I think I'd have to agree. I'm still trying to perfect my simple roll-ukemi, and I've been training for 25 years

Posted on: 2008/6/29 11:12

Permanent Village Fixture
From Austin,TX
Group:
Seems to me that the book is written in such a way that it cannot be used unless one already knows some things....

Posted on: 2008/6/29 23:52

Please be careful not to have preconceptions, and to always remember the idea of truth-and-falsehood.
-- Hatsum

Occasional Visitor
From Brisbane QLD Australia
Group:
I havent read the book yet - tho trying to get my hands on a copy asap

I am guessing that the book is like everything else Soke does
It will be full of little tricks for those who have the eyes to see them - on many levels - to effect even those who dont see them perhaps.
It will have a different effect on a person each time they read it and with each new level of training, understanding and awareness a person will gain something new and different from reading it.
I am sure there will be things (such as mentioned on the Henka website) that are either mistranslated or slightly different in order to give a kickstart to peoples subconscious minds.

Isnt that what we love abotu this art? it makes us think and feel

Posted on: 2008/6/30 17:52

Villager
From Alma, Michigan
Group:
Just received the word through amazon today that the shipping of the preordered books is delayed. They are having trouble getting the copies here on time.

Posted on: 2008/7/3 0:26

Just Passing Through
Group:
I got the same email this morning. I'm both disappointed and surprised. It seems like several people on this forum and others have been reading this book for the past couple of weeks. Were those all international copies, or is there a alternative source for this book here in the US?

Posted on: 2008/7/3 0:30

Kutaki Postmaster
From Dublin, Ireland
Group:
It's been out in Japan for several weeks now and I think the copies people have been referring to came from there.

Posted on: 2008/7/3 2:18

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 ... 9 »

[Advanced Search]

Today's Sponsor