Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Bottom   Previous Topic   Next Topic  Topic is Locked

(1) 2 3 4 ... 7 »

Togakushi's Own Shidoshi
Villager
From 戸隠とグァム
Group:
村民 :: Villager
O.K. Here's Togakushi's main Shidoshi, Matsuhashi Sensei at his best: on a sprite commercial that came out
this week!

He's just as fun in real life (and just as violent:)
Enjoy:
http://spritenew.jp/#top/v=k8AUsdW5fHY

Posted on: 2008/7/22 1:11

Re: Togakushi's Own Shidoshi
Permanent Village Fixture
Group:
Wow, look's like a cool guy. May I be so kind to ask how long Mr. Matsuhashi has been training in the Bujinkan? What material do you usually work on at his dojo? Have you personally trained with any other teachers in the Bujinkan besides Mr. Matsuhashi? I was wondering because other than the Yoko arukui and shuriken (which normally are thrown horizontal for that particular shape)most was unrecognizable or unseen taijutsu. Even for the more traditional method focused practioners of the Takamatsuden Arts might still wonder. It did look like pretty decent Karate though.

Posted on: 2008/7/22 10:02
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Villager
From 戸隠とグァム
Group:
I really wouldn't try and take his ninjutsu too seriously in that vid.
He's been training for about 4 decades, teaching for 3.
He answers to Hatsumi Sensei only, but is quite down to earth. He teaches fast-kill no-nonsense moves. A few gasshuku this summer if you're interested.

Posted on: 2008/7/22 20:38

Village Old Timer
From San Francisco, California, USA
Group:
Quote:

Takajo wrote:
I really wouldn't try and take his ninjutsu too seriously in that vid.

I wouldn't either.

However, I certainly would be interested in the answers to jwills79's questions:

Quote:
May I be so kind to ask how long Mr. Matsuhashi has been training in the Bujinkan? What material do you usually work on at his dojo? Have you personally trained with any other teachers in the Bujinkan besides Mr. Matsuhashi?

You did say "He's been training for about 4 decades, teaching for 3." You did not, however, confirm that he's trained under Hatsumi sensei's guidance over that period or is a member of the Bujinkan. (40 years' training would make him an unknown and unrecognized very senior student of Soke. Presumably his high skill level is what enables him to hide all traces of Bujinkan Budo Taijutsu in his movement in the advertisement.) And your description of what he teaches as "fast-kill no-nonsense moves" sounds. . .odd.

Posted on: 2008/7/23 0:08

Villager
From 戸隠とグァム
Group:
Do I detect a tint of suspicion in your post Mr. Van Cleef?

Yes, he was a student of Mr. Hatsumi's way on back down the old plank road. The dojo is sanctioned by Hatsumi Sensei as well. I'm not sure of the necessity to "confirm" this, but yes, that's the truth of the matter.
To answer the question on myself for the apparent enquiring minds, I started in 1982,3 or 4 (I have no idea now) at the Atlanta Bujinkan when I was 14 or so. I was taught by Bud Malmstrom and Stephen Hayes for a year or so, then went to Japan for around 20 years. Keiko-ed a bit in 2000 with Bud again in Atlanta, by then he had students spilling out into the street.
Did you not see the enbu video for last autumn? You would've seen the Togakushi gang going at it.

It's hilarious that you think he'd be using only strict ninpo taijutsu for beating up Sprite Man. C'mon guys.

Posted on: 2008/7/23 0:29

Village Old Timer
From San Francisco, California, USA
Group:
Quote:

Takajo wrote:
Yes, he was a student of Mr. Hatsumi's way on back down the old plank road.

Your use of the word "was" does not seem to imply that he is a shidoshi -- a term coined by Hatsumi sensei for Bujinkan instructors and which you used in the thread title.

Quote:
The dojo is sanctioned by Hatsumi Sensei as well.

"Sanctioned" in what sense? Is it a Bujinkan dojo?

Posted on: 2008/7/23 0:51

村長 :: Sonchou
From Chiba, Japan
Group:
村長 :: Admin
Too bad I didn't get a response to my earlier message to you about my dojo's annual trip up there. 6 of us spent last Sat/Sun camping in Togakushi, climbing the mountain, enjoying the shrines and the soba noodles!

http://picasaweb.google.com/roeena/JapanTogakushi

Shawn

Posted on: 2008/7/23 1:43

Village Old Timer
From Dayton, Ohio
Group:
I have not made it up to Togakushi yet, but some day we will go. I appreciated all the pictures Shawn and I presumed the red markings on the rocks were from trail markers, as opposed to blood from a miss-step!

T. Michael Perrin wrote

Quote:
He answers to Hatsumi Sensei only, but is quite down to earth. He teaches fast-kill no-nonsense moves. A few gasshuku this summer if you're interested

Do you think he would be open to the transient visitors to the mountain visiting and training at his dojo? I have found that generally those who train vigerously with "fast-kill no-nonsense moves" are often hesitant (with good reason) to train with strangers - even if they are "in the bujinkan".

I don't think very many people judge his taijutsu based on a very funny commercial. By the way, what is the spitting all about?

Marty

Posted on: 2008/7/23 3:08

Villager
From 戸隠とグァム
Group:
He was quite recluse for some time. Now he's open to outside students. Quite open. In fact he has asked me to start rounding up students for camps, etc. There are 2 teachers from Hatsumi Sensei's younger days (when he was black and white for some reason), a young shihan, and me (a student since I was too young to do anything legal).
Just give me a call or text before coming up (whether yer alone or how many in yer group). Sunday nights from 8pm to 11. I'll put you up for 25% off if you're Bujinkan.
Otherwise stay where you'd like and meet me at the Yamaguchi-Ya Soba parking lot at 8pm (but call so I can direct you to the dojo).

His regular sunday night instruction/keiko is free of charge as always.

I'm at www.hawkandhare.com

PS: The sprite spitting is a weird thing reminiscent of Ultra Man/Godzilla days I'm guessing.

Posted on: 2008/7/23 8:33

Permanent Village Fixture
Group:
Wow!!!

It appears I detect a hint of question avoidance on the part of Mr. Perrin. Because your vagueness or completely ignoring certain questions speaks volumes. In your 20years or so stay in Japan, there was no mention of Bujinkan training only with Mr. Bud Malstrom.

Saying that someone trained with Hatsumi Sensei back in the day without any time frame doesn't really say much. I could have trained with Hatsumi sensei in the 70's for about six months. Would that give me creditibility? I believe alot students came through his dojo back in the black and white but didn't stick with it.

I think because there is alot of information available about the beginnings of the organization. It is kind of hard to believe his has been active the entire time and remain under the radar. There might be small splinter cells or study groups but even they can be seen from time to time.

In these camps that Mr. Matsuhashi is recruiting for what is covered in them. Is the historical methods displayed at the demos in Togakushi. Is it Bujinkan training? How long did Mr. Matsuhashi train in the Bujinkan not other schools?

The reason I was asking because it quite common for people to teach something that is totally different but still use the Bujinkan and other like organization for creditibility. "Recruitng" which sounds like a marketing scheme for individual businesses. For the sole purpose of making money. Making everyone look bad. Now if someone said they are studying and teaching Bujinkan methods which includes and extensive background in other arts. Said person would be more respected. Anything else sounds like the person or several people are trying pull the wool over people's eyes.

Posted on: 2008/7/23 12:16

(1) 2 3 4 ... 7 »

Topic is Locked

[Advanced Search]

Today's Sponsor