Bottom   Previous Topic   Next Topic  Topic is Locked

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 7 »

Re: Togakushi's Own Shidoshi
Active Kutakian
Group:
村民 :: Villager
Quote:

dseago wrote:
Since I began training in the Bujinkan going on a quarter-century ago now. . .and still train in the Bujinkan. . .and had never previously heard of this gentleman,

I heard of him in the early nineties because I talked to a Japanese guy now training in Tokyo who trained there. I was surprised at the time because I hadn’t heard of anyone out there. In ’94 or ’95 Hatsumi-sensei went to Togakushi a couple of times and mentioned “helping out” people who are training out there.

I’ve heard it from another Japanese guy too regarding regional dojo in Japan (he had heard there was a dojo in Togakushi).

So I have known that there is someone out there but didn’t know who he was. There are often Japanese guys that float in and out from the Kansai region etc that would fly under everyone’s radar.

When I started in Japan I was living in Hiroshima and was sent to the Taguchi dojo. Hands up who trained with Taguchi-sensei.

I don’t know how good or bad Matsuhashi-sensei is but I would hope that the critics are applying the same standards to him as they are to shidoshi in their own countries. If you live and work in Togakushi (or Hiroshima) you quickly find that getting to training in Noda is as difficult as it is for those in foreign countries. Travel is expensive (I can sometimes travel to Japan from Brisbane cheaper than crossing the country by buying a ticket locally), you still have to arrange time off and organise accommodation etc. Yes this must be managed but you can’t expect a guy in Togakushi to be in Noda every week.

My point is we can only apply the same standards to him as we do for shidoshi in other countries. Since many people travel to Togakushi when visiting Japan anyway maybe he is worth a visit too? Maybe not.

Having had lived in Japan before I wouldn’t answer the sorts of questions directly that are being put to Takajo either. Maybe I’m defending someone who isn’t worth defending but I am willing to give the guy the benefit of the doubt before entering in to the inquisition.

Posted on: 2008/7/24 10:39

Village Old Timer
From Matsudo City, Chiba, Japan
Group:
Matsuhashi Sensei put in a good effort with the Autumn 2007 Embukai at Togakushi. In Nakadai Sensei's introduction (Nakadai Sensei was the MC for the event) of that part of the presentation, it was made mention that Matsuhashi Sensei was Togakushi's very own ninja, and that he has long experience in ninjutsu and belongs to Bujinkan.

As Duncan said, there are a number of people outside of the Kanto area training Bujinkan that people who have trained in Kanto may not have met. Bujinkan in Japan is that far-flung.

There are a number of dojos in the Kansai area - http://www2s.biglobe.ne.jp/~genki1/bujin4.htm

Posted on: 2008/7/24 12:00

Village Old Timer
From San Francisco, California, USA
Group:
Quote:

Duncan Mitchell wrote:
I don’t know how good or bad Matsuhashi-sensei is but I would hope that the critics are applying the same standards to him as they are to shidoshi in their own countries.

I haven't attempted to criticize Mr. Matsuhashi myself (and while I can't speak for them, I didn't see others' comments as necessarily critical of him either). I did mention the lack of Budo taijutsu based movement in the ad; but that's something I don't see as either good or bad in that context. It was something (among other things) which led me to wonder if he is in fact a shidoshi, the original poster having used the term. If he is, I think that's cool, and whateverwhichway he wants to move in a Sprite ad does not in my opinion reflect either positively or negatively on his skill in Budo taijutsu.

Posted on: 2008/7/24 12:51

Permanent Village Fixture
From Seattle
Group:
LOL.... another witch hunt !
Hilarious display, as usual.

The guy looks pretty cool, and the commercial was funny.
The end.

Posted on: 2008/7/24 15:49
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Village Old Timer
From San Francisco, California, USA
Group:
Quote:

D_Cecc wrote:
LOL.... another witch hunt !

What "witch hunt"?

Guy starts a thread presenting his instructor as a Shidoshi and making comments about him which seem odd in a Bujinkan context.

Said instructor doesn't move like one in the linked advertisement -- which, in that context, doesn't say anything either for or against him as a shidoshi.

Some, myself among them, ask the original poster for clarification of the instructor's status with the Bujinkan.

Original poster (a) flatly refuses to provide any such clarification, and (b) accuses "us Westerners" of "malice".

I'm sorry, and perhaps a bit dense what with the Alzheimer's creeping up on me and all, but. . .Where is the "witch hunt" in all this"

Posted on: 2008/7/24 16:28

Group:
Quote:
Mr. Mitchell wrote:
Having had lived in Japan before I wouldn’t answer the sorts of questions directly that are being put to Takajo either. Maybe I’m defending someone who isn’t worth defending but I am willing to give the guy the benefit of the doubt before entering in to the inquisition.

You are correct traveling long distance is a hassle. I also believe people can fly under the radar for some time. Mr. Takajo said about 30 years. That is serious deep cover. I asked if it was all Bujinkan or has Mr Matsuhashi studied other schools. Openly refusing to answer doesn't sound suspicious or overly defensive to you? His response was go ask someone else. In any other situations it would be considered misleading.

I also asked what material do they typically cover in class. (ie. kihon happo, ukemi or ryuha kata) Once again he refused. He is also inviting others to come and visit. And do what? We don't know.

Finally Mr. Mitchell, please clarify why you wouldn't answer said questions? Actually, I wouldn't be surprised if you didn't answer those questions. Considering your shady past here on this forum with multiple screennames, agenda promoting rants and political bootlicking. Misleading others whether intentional or not is wrong...correct? That is why I continued to give him opportunities explain so there wouldn't be any misunderstanding.

I will personally ended it. But if you offering something I think it is natural to be willing to answer questions about it. If someone takes Takajo up on his offer please share your experience with us. I think it would be an eye opener for many.

Posted on: 2008/7/24 16:39

Village Old Timer
From Matsudo City, Chiba, Japan
Group:
Correction - Nagase Sensei was the MC, not Nakadai Sensei as I stated before. My vision was impaired by a demon mask - I couldn't see him, he couldn't see me.

Posted on: 2008/7/24 17:51

Villager
From 戸隠とグァム
Group:
Nonono,
I refused to take the conversation any further after the witch hunt began.
Why would I refuse to tell you if you'd been somewhat polite? But look, mate, the answer's seepin out now
I felt as if I was being interrogated by Mr. Wint and Mr. Kidd, so decided I'd rather not go any further on the subject.
But yes, he welcomes all levels and ages Sunday nights. If you've got a big group, he'll do a gasshuku, whatever u want. Has very few students as of late (the injury thing-a whole other can of worms), so he's "coming out" if u will,Will.
"Are you implying that he's gay now? Hmmm?" No, It was joke. Go relax and have a cream soda or sumpin

Posted on: 2008/7/24 17:56

Active Kutakian
Group:
Quote:

jwills79 wrote:
Finally Mr. Mitchell, please clarify why you wouldn't answer said questions?

It’s hard to pinpoint but it’s really just a feeling I get from dealing with the Japanese over the years that most guys really, really don’t like the idea of them being discussed or quoted by a friend or student even if in their defence. I may be wrong but I would be interested to hear from those living in Japan on this subject. If someone was to ask the same questions you asked in your posts about my teacher in Japan I would be uncomfortable answering them too. Even though I could answer them all I know him well enough to know he wouldn’t be at all happy about it.

Other teachers who I rarely meet and soke I am less concerned. I think it may be just that a certain trust is required in developing a deeper relationship in Japan.

I don’t think I can answer this question adequately because it’s really just based on a feeling or vibe I get. Maybe someone else in Japan who understands what I am talking about can articulate it better?

Posted on: 2008/7/24 17:56

Group:
Thanks Mr. Mitchell,

I understand your point. I think talking directly with the teacher would be better. Maybe somebody will get a straight answer. When asking people to attend your teacher's classes something should be said about them if not only a fool would go without any info.

Quote:
Takajo wrote: He teaches fast-kill no-nonsense moves.

Takajo,

Actually none of my answers have been answered. Check my original post. You have been writing alot on this forum but haven't said anything yet. The conversation began politely and it still is. I honestly don't believe you will get many takers just from your description alone. Like throwing out there "the injury thing" but will probably avoid any direct questions about that as well. Telling everyone to chill when you don't want to answer certain questions is little weak in my opinion. Please make sure your taijutsu has more substance than your words. That goes for me too.

All the questions I have discussed have been asked about most teachers in the Bujinkan. This also includes Japanese shihan. That is why people choose different classes to attend. Why is this beyond a teacher most people are not even aware of is a little strange. I have given to much attention to this. I am going to go chill.

Posted on: 2008/7/24 19:43

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 7 »

Topic is Locked

[Advanced Search]

Today's Sponsor