Socialize

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Takamatsu Sensei Video Questions
Just Passing Through
From Coronado, CA
Group:
村民 :: Villager
Hello all,

I recently had the opportunity to see some of Mr. Hatsumi's video footage of Takamatsu Sensei. I belive this footage (posted on youtube) was from a video that was put out by Mr. Hatsumi a few years back. Let me see if I can find tha link...OK here it is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LJ9vlwpfzQ

Anyway, I noticed that what Mr. Takamatsu is showing here (which from my limited experience looks to be one or more of the movements of Kihon Happo), seems to look much more like Karate-type movement than the movement I have seen from instuctors in the Bujinkan. The Kamae is less deep. The Uke nagashi looks much more Karate-like, etc.

So, I was wondering if Mr. Hatsumi changed the form in any way. And, if so, why? Could it be that he thought that deeper Kamae and looping uke nagashi was more combat effective? Obviously I could be entirely wrong, and am simply getting an inaccurate perception from an old video. It just peaked my interest when I saw this.

Thanks.

Posted on: 2008/7/30 3:30
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Takamatsu Sensei Video Questions
Active Kutakian
Group:
The depth of the kamae and uke nagashi still look very similar to the way Hatsumi-sensei demonstrates it.

Posted on: 2008/7/30 7:34

Kutaki Postmaster
From Dublin, Ireland
Group:
I just watched that clip and I think I know why you might have formed the opinion you have - the clip is very short and shows Takamatsu Sensei stepping through a very basic movement, and it does look a little karate-like.

However, it's only 30 seconds or so - if you watch the rest of the footage on the DVD, it looks different. In that clip, it looks a little like he's breaking the movement down to explain it.

When you see his taijutsu elsewhere on that DVD, it looks much more like Hatsumi Sensei's.

Posted on: 2008/7/30 17:57

Kutaki Postmaster
Group:
The non-existing deep kamae are probably because of Takamatsu sensei´s old age at the time the film was taken. The "strange" blocking is probably ryu-ha specific to some kata.

Regards / Skuggvarg

Posted on: 2008/7/30 22:00

Permanent Village Fixture
From Cupertino, CA
Group:
here is my take on it (but my experience is limited)...

if I am not mistaken, gyokko ryu movement in its purest form is presented on the video. Such movements were optimized over generations for using yoroi and for battle-field applications (many hours of having to deal with danger and you still need energy for the next attacker). They work well without yoroi too and are very energy efficient. I heard from my teacher that the roots of gyoko ryu koshijutsu are of oldest kind of Japanese arts and majority of kobudo is actually believed to be rooted in such koshijutsu. One of the biggest similarities to karate that I can notice is that o-Sensei is wearing white gi and black obi on this pictures .

The other movements that org. poster mentions (deep kamae etc), I am not sure what he actually saw really, but I am guessing might be something like what we see in this year's theme: they are optimized for (1) primarily usage without armor (especially but not only in low light conditions ) (2) training of body mechanics and muscle/tmndon conditioning in everyday keiko (a la "large frame" in ta chi).

However, it should be noted that those movements can be applied also with postures not so low and in a non-obvious way (a la "small frame" in tai chi) but then they would not show in the video! hahaha !. Looking at he "motion picture" you will only see what the artist wanted you to see. Often, in our art, the picture does not show what is really happening.

peace
mn

Posted on: 2008/7/31 6:16

Cant Stay Offline
From Hamina, Finland
Group:
議長 :: Mod
師導士会 :: Shidoshikai
Quote:

BeachKusa wrote:
So, I was wondering if Mr. Hatsumi changed the form in any way. And, if so, why? Could it be that he thought that deeper Kamae and looping uke nagashi was more combat effective? Obviously I could be entirely wrong, and am simply getting an inaccurate perception from an old video. It just peaked my interest when I saw this.

As has been noted by others already not much change can be seen, so maybe give for comparison the other way, the deep Kamae and looping Uke Nagashi you mention above?

Thanks in advance.

EDIT typo

Posted on: 2008/7/31 7:03
(Bujinkan Budōka since 1985)

Just Passing Through
From Pakistan
Group:
I think I know why you might have formed the opinion you have - the clip is very short and shows Takamatsu Sensei stepping through a very basic movement, and it does look a little karate-like.

However, it's only 30 seconds or so - if you watch the rest of the footage on the DVD, it looks different. In that clip, it looks a little like he's breaking the movement down to explain it.

Posted on: 2014/1/7 15:56

[Advanced Search]

Today's Sponsor