Register now!
Socialize

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 »

Legality Of Traditional and Modern Ninpo Weapons In CA
Occasional Visitor
Group:
村民 :: Villager
Ok, so it's a very likely possibility that I will be moving to CA sometime after October (I currently reside in NC). I've looked up the laws and with what I have been able to find on the net; so far it looks like everything that I currently own is illegal there. So this poses a huge problem which I guess I will have to adapt to as well as a very interesting question, with the large list of Bujinkan schools operating in that state, how do you train with traditional weapons and do you even train with them? Are there exceptions to the law?

Someone plese list here any training, replica or live weapons that I may not want to take with me or own while living there as well as any self defense products. I mean I usually carry my kuboton keychain with me everywhere and it has a hidden knife inside as well as metsubushi..I saw that this would be illegal there..c'mon I mean how in the hell does the old woman walking down the street an night or perhaps even broad daylight defender herself if simple things like this are illegal to carry with you? The laws in this country really upset me at times. Am I to understand that someone can own a handgun; a very lethal weapon that could even accidentally go off ending someone's life and they can't own a kuboton? This is quite absurd and now I'm confused as to what I can take with me and what I can't. You might as well assume I own every type of weapon in one form or another because it's pretty much the truth with the exception of a few things I haven't gotten due to cost of quality products. So please include as much information as possible. Are we even allowed to own Bo, Hanbo, or Bokken?

Someone who lives in CA please help with this.

Posted on: 2008/9/12 14:05
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Legality Of Traditional and Modern Ninpo Weapons In CA
Village Old Timer
From San Francisco, California, USA
Group:
Basically, if your training weapons are made of things other than metal you'll probably be fine.

And in terms of "real weapons", there are plenty of alternatives to many "traditional weapons". Forget metsubushi powder: Anyone here can buy a canister of pepper spray, no permit required. Folding knives are no problem, carried exposed or concealed, apart from restrictions regarding things like schools and government buildings. You can buy a model C2 Taser with a 15-foot range and carry it either exposed or concealed (similar restrictions on schools, govt. buildings, airports, etc.). I often openly wear a razor-sharp handmade Scottish dirk with a 13-inch blade (especially when I'm wearing my kilt) -- perfectly legal as long as it's not concealed (again, restrictions on schools etc.).

I could go on and on, but I hope that's enough to get you thinking. Bottom line is, I don't think California is actually much more restrictive than most other states that don't have a "shall issue" type of law regarding concealed carry permits for handguns. (And if you don't understand what I mean by that term, shoot me a PM or email.)

Posted on: 2008/9/12 16:43

Occasional Visitor
Group:
well, as far as training weapons go, there isn't much I have that would break any laws, I would hate to think that rubber shuko or a rope kusari violated some kind of CA law.

The only problem I have with this is the shuriken law. I own a set of senban shuriken that I like training with. That was actually what I should of directed the attention to as that is what I was mainly referring to when I asked if traditional weapons we're trained with. Yes I know business cards, plastic and wooden shuriken yadda yadda yadda, but aside from that I do enjoy training with live shuriken.
Are you able to train with these in the dojo's there or is it forbidden as well.

The metsubushi thing is a little odd, I wouldn't of thought that they could make a law against something like that. Really how can you outlaw dirt, flour, grass, etc.

Aside from that; is it illegal to train with flour? That is what I use hear at home. Even in my kuboton I use flour, flour produces a really good cloud of smoke for distraction.
I've actually never made or used any metsubushi powder that could do permanent damage to someone. An I definitely don't go around carrying metsubushi eggs in my pockets haha.

Posted on: 2008/9/12 19:18

Frequent Visitor
From Westlake Village, California
Group:
Gaijin (Inactive)
In so far as what is "illegal" in California, I do not think they will be waiting at the Border for you to cross. People smuggle more things into this state than you can imagine. I am not saying you should do something illegal, but it would be a perfectly good reason for you to use your Ninja skills to sneak your Arsonal across undetected. This type of activity happened all of the time in Japan during the development of this very Art. Whatever happens, "Do Not" bring any vegetables with you, they'll put you away for a long time here. Some may say they have a "low tolerance" for Produce Smugglers. May I suggest devising a plan that would make your "Training Products" look like musical instruments. Then disguise yourself as a Minstral before you cross in plain sight. One important thing, make sure there is no "Clanging" noise from all of those metal objects, it may be a Dead Give Away and foil the whole plan...............................

This was too good to pass up, sorry. I hope we all can laugh at our selves too. This post "Could get" very interesting. For the Hell of it, lets see if we can continue on this creative line as a small mental break. Remember this Art is so serious, that we do not have to be serious, but instead carry on like children
(at times). Well here is a perfectly good chance, so lets roll with and see what comes up. Hey maybe a Screen Play could emerge from some of our members. I am sure there are some very creative minds lerking right now...... Peace : )

Posted on: 2008/9/12 19:42

Villager
From Tulare, California
Group:
師導士会 :: Shidoshikai
You can train with senban and kusari fundo with a licensed instructor at the dojo, but you cannot carry senbans, kusari fundos, or cane swords around on/with you while in public. They are illegal to carry or ship to California. Most of my students are law enforcement, and we train with all of these weapons, but they do not carry those weapons on them while outside the dojo/training.

Posted on: 2008/9/13 0:26

Occasional Visitor
Group:
Thanks for the info.

so are real kusari illegal then?

Posted on: 2008/9/13 10:01

Villager
From Tulare, California
Group:
師導士会 :: Shidoshikai
Yes, along with Cane Swords, and Senbans.

Posted on: 2008/9/13 22:48

Honorary Villager
From Ireland
Group:
Ninjay said

“May I suggest devising a plan that would make your "Training Products" look like musical instruments. Then disguise yourself as a Minstral before you cross in plain sight.”

Brilliant!!

I can just see it now.

Although I seem to remember a golf bag full of swords in the back ground of one of the DKMS DVD’s which seemed like a good way to hide in plain sight too!

Philip Stanley

Posted on: 2008/9/14 1:07

Village Old Timer
From Dayton, Ohio
Group:
Have you ever seen the movie "Desperado"?

Marty

Posted on: 2008/9/14 6:28

Villager
Group:
Quote:

... Although I seem to remember a golf bag full of swords in the back ground of one of the DKMS DVD’s which seemed like a good way to hide in plain sight too!

I used to carry daisho (aluminum training blades) to class. I carried them to class in a guitar case... it worked! :)

Posted on: 2008/9/15 1:37

(1) 2 3 »

[Advanced Search]

Today's Sponsor