Register now!
Socialize

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

adrenalin
Just Passing Through
Group:
村民 :: Villager
The other day I stopped some teenagers fighting, I didn't have to do a lot, just step in between them. However, I found myself pumped full of adrenaline afterwards and needed to try and chill to calm myself down. Being only teenagers I was surprised by this as I thought I was calm and in control and in no danger but I became concerned that if I was attacked by an adult whether the same thing would happen and if it would be worse and if it will have an affect on my ability to stay safe. Anyone experienced this? How did you deal with it?

Posted on: 2008/9/20 22:03
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: adrenalin
Active Kutakian
From Winterpeg, Manitoba, Canada
Group:
師導士会 :: Shidoshikai
Quote:

peteclark wrote:
I found myself pumped full of adrenaline afterwards

This is a natural reaction to stress.

Quote:
I was surprised by this as I thought I was calm and in control and in no danger

During the moment you probably were calm. Post-conflict symptoms (shakes, dry mouth, etc) can be quite strong.

Quote:
I became concerned that if I was attacked by an adult whether the same thing would happen and if it would be worse and if it will have an affect on my ability to stay safe.

I would say it does not matter who attacks you. You will either act or you will not. Either way something happens

Train in a way that you believe in; that enables you to trust that your body will do something.

Posted on: 2008/9/21 15:21

www.bujinkanmanitoba.ca
Find us on Facebook!

Kutaki Postmaster
From Wyoming
Group:
Most martial arts teachers are not really qualified or sufficiently experienced to teach this sort of thing. Some just dance around it, due to a lack of understanding.

Intense and focussed training can provide a way to deal with this. Military and police do scenario drilling under intense pressure so that valuable skills can be assimilated in the high pressure environment. They back that up with near immediate feedback, critique, and repetition of the drill.

Another approach is to have a distinct set of cues and actions, like a fire drill, to go through when adrenaline hits. One of the most important things is to breathe and then open your eyes and look around. This method can be mixed with light drilling to get things set in place.

Leaving this sort of thing up to chance is not the way to go, and pretending that it isn't important or "will come in time" is not particularly helpful.

Some good resources for this area of study are Matt Thomas' books on Model Mugging and Gavin DeBecker's book, The Gift of Fear.

Posted on: 2008/9/22 13:56

What? Yes...that's how I do that....why...why do you ask?

Active Kutakian
From Memphis, TN - USA
Group:
You have to breathe through it and recognize the state your body is in. This is the reason I am a proponent of gross motor skills for fighting.

I'm a police officer, so I deal with this almost every day. You just get used to it, but as a normal citizen you can't just go around fighting with someone every day just to get used to adrenaline!

I remember during the police academy our trainers were screaming at us while we were doing push ups after we just ran like 4 miles. They said something like, running for one mile is like fighting for your life for one minute and the average fight lasts three minutes. (I don't know if those were the exact figures, but it at least puts things in perspective.)

Many nights after I get home from work it takes me one or two hours for my body to calm down from being on edge for the past eight hours. I could be dead freaking tired, but I still lie in bed for an hour before I can even close my eyes. It is a good time to meditate, or do chores around the house.

Posted on: 2008/9/22 16:05

Kutaki Postmaster
Group:
hi there,

check out this: http://www.personalprotectionsystems. ... %20Skills%20Training2.doc

and other articles you find at http://www.personalprotectionsystems.ca/safetyarticles.htm

Happy (so to say...) reading!

Posted on: 2008/9/22 22:27

Frequent Visitor
From canada
Group:
師導士会 :: Shidoshikai
We use Darren Laur's site as a resource and I have taken several courses with him. (www.personalprotectionsystems.ca)

I think his perspectives offer pertinent information that most people just do not think to teach; this includes: the idea that if you are trading punches you are continuing the fight and how to avoid this situation; how to recognize, train for, and deal with the effects of adrenaline; how to understand the language of intimidation, and much more.

Anyone in the area who is able I recommend taking his 'Verbal Judo' course, in person.

That all being said, I also endorse the idea of concocting training drills and methods that allow you (people) to experience the effects of adrenaline and adrenaline fall-out. 'Know thyself' - after that the world becomes easier.

Nothing wrong with being calm and clear-headed in the moment. Everyone will experience and perceive 'being under threat' differently, and when you most need the flood of adrenaline to 'save your life', it will be there. If it's not there, it's likely not what you need in that moment.

By the way - good job being somewhere you were needed.

Posted on: 2008/9/25 5:03

"Practice every day, every moment...Learn from everything."
- Masaaki Hatsumi, Hiden no Togakure Ryu Ninpo

You cannot understand something if you first limit its scope.

Just Passing Through
Group:
Hi from Venezuela.

If you felt so is becasuse you are alive. So you have feelings to feel.

That was just a first experience. Thats all.

Whith practicing you will now how to deal whith that kind of situations and then you won´t feel like that time again but remember it for ever.

You will change the kind of your feelings for some new kind. The kind of feelings that expirience give to who practice with dedication.

Fudo Shin.

Ganbatte

Posted on: 2008/12/17 8:14

Village Old Timer
From Istanbul Turkiye
Group:
I remember my self shake up like a fish out of water (this was 1994) and it took for a while at last I fought and the adrenaline went down but I remember that I fought very stupidly because of the adrenaline's rage and power inside my vain.
3-4 years ago I had to protect my self against two bigger guys (one was a transvestite, they are very dangerous in Istanbul)and I was very calm. When I punched one of them in the jinchu he went down in less than a half second, I was hoping to go on for a few more seconds. Than I had to kick him inside his car than I saw that I could really put him inside his car just with a few kicks, that was adrenaline because two other guys tried to pull him inside the car but they could not even moved him.

I told these stories to explain that some times you feel the adrenaline but sometimes you do not. I think this has a lot to do with your experience,your behavior and the way accepting it. please do not forget to have a big smile too! Also if the Danger is real you get calm somehow. If it is a fist fighting it is different, if you see the knife it is totally different story.
These are my experiences, I am sure scientists gave some explanations about it.

Posted on: 2008/12/17 18:04
-----------------------------------------

Kutaki Postmaster
From South East UK
Group:
Until you can get a taste of adrenaline in your training (not necessarily in the dojo but somewhere in your daily regimen) the simple fact is that you won't get used to it.

And I use the term 'get used to it' because it is preferable to still have that adrenalin rush but be able to control it (probably not the correct word), than to desensitise yourself to danger so that you no longer get the rush at all.

Adrenaline is good, it helps you run away as well as fight, especially if your fitness could do with some work!

But uncontrolled adrenaline combined with the hesitancy of fear will mean that you will find it very difficult to prevail against an aggressor with experience and confidence.

A lot of people who flow like water in the dojo would turn to jittery robots when confronted with the cold light of real violence. I learned this the hard way myself.

Faith is a great thing but is hard to turn into a big stick when you need one.

Posted on: 2008/12/19 20:08

Hehehe...
Permanent Village Fixture
From Dallas, TX
Group:
This is something that you should ask someone directly.

Ask someone you follow (like your teacher) and not a forum like the open internet where anyone seeking attention will can answer.

There are books available that can do just as much harm as the internet.

Posted on: 2009/1/16 17:07

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Today's Sponsor