Recent Topics

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Osaka to Tokyo
Village Old Timer
From Istanbul Turkiye
Group:
村民 :: Villager
Hey,
I found a good ticket to Osaka (DKMS time) but I do not know the best way to get to Tokyo. Is Shinkansen available (ikura desu ka?) and what are your ideas.
I ask this to people who live in Japan or had the same experience (Osaka to Tokyo).
I can think of staying in osaka for the night too. I heard that it has many many historic places to see.

Posted on: 2008/9/24 20:05
-----------------------------------------
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Osaka to Tokyo
Honorary Villager
From Toride, Ibaraki, Japan
Group:
If you just wanted to buy bullet train tickets, the fare from Osaka is a total of 13,850 yen: 8510 for the ticket itself, plus another 5340 for a reserved seat. It takes between 2 hours 45 minutes to 3 hours. I think you can also do non-reserved seats and not have to pay the extra fee, but at certain times of year that can be a gamble as you may not get a seat at all. I remember once I went to Osaka during the midsummer "Obon" holiday, and I couldn't get a seat for about an hour and a half.

Another, much cheaper option is a highway bus. A one-way ticket starts at about 3500 yen, but it can go as high as about 14,000 yen. What's more, it takes at least eight hours under ideal circumstances, and like any time you travel on the highway, a traffic jam can make the trip take hours longer than normal, so you should allow plenty of time if you decide to take that route.

If you plan to do a bit of travelling, one more thing you might want to consider is a Japan Rail pass. For a pass that's good for all JR trains across Japan except for the "Nozomi" (special-rapid) bullet train, it's 28,300 yen. You can use it on the other two types of bullet trains, and it even covers the price of a reserved seat. Since going back and forth between Osaka and Tokyo on the bullet train costs 27,700 yen, you only have to travel a little more to make it worth your money.

For more information, check out the following websites:

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2366_osaka.html#tokyo for the highway bus information

http://www.japanrailpass.net/ for information about the rail pass.

I look forward to seeing you at the Daikomyosai!

Blain.

Posted on: 2008/9/24 21:43

_MSC_CLICK_TO_OPEN_IMAGE

Stardog Photos: http://stardog.shutterchance.com

Honorary Villager
Group:
Do you mean a good plane fare to Osaka and then trek to Tokyo? The difference in plane fare would want be fairly substantial to warrant doing that. Personally I would not.

I've done the Tokyo to Osaka trip twice, and on the Shinkansen. It's a long way to go by bus and do you really want to spend a whole day travelling (when you could be in Noda training) on a bus?

I think if you are going to spend some time in Osaka (which is cool) and then get the SKS to Tokyo, then go for it. Otherwise I doubt it's worth whatever you are saving in plane fare for the reasons abobve.

Gerard

P.S. If you go to Osaka and you have time, you should go to Kyoto too.

Posted on: 2008/9/24 22:28

Village Old Timer
From Istanbul Turkiye
Group:
Thank you Blaine and Gerard giving me information and sharing your experience. It looks like it is better to get the Tokyo ticket.
Blaine my friend hope to see you there.

Posted on: 2008/9/25 0:13
-----------------------------------------

[Advanced Search]

Today's Sponsor