Socialize

Recent Topics

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Wild Japan
Village Old Timer
From Matsudo City, Chiba, Japan
Group:
村民 :: Villager
This evening, I had an encounter with an alien - a masked palm civet, I think - in the garden. Has anyone ever seen one of these in the Kanto area?

Posted on: 2008/10/18 23:05

Re: Wild Japan
Honorary Villager
From Ibaraki-ken
Group:
Thats funny! I was sitting in my car talking with my girlfriend a few nights back, and one just came trouncing up the street like it owned the neighbourhood. It was interesting that it didnt seem afraid like wildlife back home and just looked at me as I opened my door to see waht it would do. It just looked at me for a few seconds, then keept on its way.

Posted on: 2008/10/19 13:33
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Wild Japan
Village Old Timer
From Matsudo City, Chiba, Japan
Group:
Tim, I found this science journal abstract about the introduction of this alien species.

I know this is very nerdy, but I had a look at this scientific article on "camera trapping" mammals on Mount Tsukuba, in which the palm civet is mentioned. Basically, the author of the study used cameras to do an inventory of the mammals there.

For those of you who don't know, Tsukuba Mountain is the big bump east of Tokyo. Outdoor Japan describes Tsukuba here. It's an easy trip from Kashiwa or Noda Cities.

Posted on: 2008/10/19 15:32

[Advanced Search]

Today's Sponsor