Ichiba 0 2018/2/21 1:18
Dpinga

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 »

Re: Theme for 2009
Active Kutakian
Group:
村民 :: Villager
Shawn, sometimes people are not able to articulate their questions, much more the midst of overhelming experience. So maybe it was just his way to get feedback on his views? You know, you tell something and somebody else states it like "We handle it different here." or "Well, I personally think

JoshNYC
...".Quote:
I just got back from Japan and saw a lot of poor kenjutsu, not that I could do better.

So how do you know then, that it was poor?

Has any considered, that it has nothing to mean what Soke said? Maybe just wanted people to think about next years theme, but to ponder on the lesson of that year? At least it it listens to me like somebody saying: "Concentrate on what we´re doing now." But then I was not there ...

Posted on: 2008/12/9 4:28

"Thou art a child of nature.
Thou shalt know that it art a crime to murder thy mother.
Yet, I hear her skriek in horror ... "
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Cant Stay Offline
From Sacramento, CA (USA)
Group:
村長 :: Admin
議長 :: Mod
With so many things in our art to learn, it only seems natural that we should revisit fundamental things on a regular basis. I know from my experience that I cannot possibly train regularly enough on all the different things in our art.

Constantly looking ahead to "what's next" can lead to a neglect of things which are in need of attention right now.

It's like spinning plates - if you spend too much time away from one, it will eventually wobble and fall. You have to even out your time with each and your capacity (ooh, there we go!) will dictate how many plates you can spin at the same time.

I am not presuming to know what Soke really meant. But it would seem to me that if one is honest enough, they would know already which of their plates were getting wobbly. I certainly know what I'm doing well with, and what I need to work on more.

Maybe too many are ignoring theirs and that's what Soke was pointing out?

Who knows?

Gambatte!

Posted on: 2008/12/9 6:58

I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, or in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. ~ Thomas Jefferson

Cant Stay Offline
From Pennsylvania, USA
Group:
師導士会 :: Shidoshikai
What to train next? What to emphasize in your training? I would offer some thoughts on this as I agree with Darren that it is impossible to get really good at EVERYTHING in our art, there just is too much. Number one is taijutsu because all else is based on how well you do taijutsu and if you do taijutsu well you will have some skill at everything else. In addition you can shorten your training time on any other area with good taijutsu . Next you need to have skills in the areas that could most impact your life. For me that is "sticks" (bo, jo, hanbo, cane etc) as those items are often very available in our environment. Next blades especially knives as those are everywhere in our world, in any country and any society. You could be faced with that problem at any time. After that, what are your specific interests? What really catches your interest? Throwing weapons? Ropes? Swords? Whatever ---- It is you that must make that choice and you that will either gain the skill or not depending on where you put your time and energy. Just my thoughts.

Posted on: 2008/12/9 7:14

Permanent Village Fixture
From Cupertino, CA
Group:
hi all,

I had the luck to be there last Sunday. Let me just say that IMHO, what was posted on the Ohashi-san website plus what Shawn posted is a very good reflection of what I also heard/experienced.

For what it is worth, here is the quote from my post to the SF dojo discussion group. I have sent the post before seeing what was on the Ohashi-san website. I am putting it here to give you friends another data point to interpolate your own stuff from this. My Japanese is quite weak and I relied mostly on what was translated already, but I was also trying to read context of the entire last week and the feeling of what Soke was showing during this class and the really-soft-but-spooky Friday class...

here is the quote
"From what I understood during Sunday Hombu class Soke said that next year we are also going to focus on being in the appropriate space for growth. Soke said that in order to grow as a martial artist and as a human being you need three things... translators had problem with this a bit but here is what I pieced togetherf rom what they were saying. The three things are (1) abilities, (2) heart and (3) potential.

1. refers to inherent abilities and talents of an individual
2. refers to righteous heart
3. refers to finding yourself in a "correct container". Example given to clarify was that if you are a fish and you are placed in a small aquarium, then the space to explore is defined for you by that glass container... the way I received it there was the unspoken suggestion that you should pay attention to the container you placing yourself in because that defines how you grow.

I will abstain form further comments and let some interested folks to think about the realized/unrealized potential vs the space you are placing yourself in (in the broad sense of personal life as well as in the sense of interaction with other floating objects hahaha! )."
end quote

Here is another data point: Sensei started DKMS with the words that I remember as (not the exact words) "... we will be studying the feeling of ku. Yes, we went that far, (we arrived to this) ..."

I have some more thoughts/feelings on this subject but nothing to share publicly. Ask me in person when we meet if you would like to have some very weird esoteric discussion about nothing .

peace
mn

Posted on: 2008/12/9 8:22

Occasional Visitor
Group:
The 'feeling' has always been the theme for each year.

Posted on: 2008/12/9 10:34

Kutaki Postmaster
From Norway
Group:
Did not 2004 start in this type of manner? There should be no theme, just basics (Budo no Kiso), then after a short while, Roppo Kuji became the theme... Maybe my memory is incorrect...

Anyway, I would be happy to just get back to exploring the basics and not having to chase some high level theme for a while , although I like these theme things (it is almost like a christmas gift from Soke, and I am awaiting it like a child the night before christmas).

Posted on: 2008/12/9 16:58

Cant Stay Offline
From Pennsylvania, USA
Group:
Very interesting Mariusz. "Ability" --- your willingness to learn and grow?? The "right heart", ----- a proper attitude toward training and other people??? The "container" ---- a mind open enough to grow and pursue thoughts and new ideas without immediate rejection??? We always do have to deal with the language problem especially as Soke speaking Japanese is not easily understood. The Japanese language is not as direct as say either English or Spanish. (or most European languages).
I do think that Soke expects us to open our minds to the many possibilities that exist for us in this art. For us to really grow in knowledge we need others in this art and we need the community, there can not be the isolation and the "I know it all" attitude or the "you must train with me" attitude. The wider our experiences the greater our learning possibilities. It also takes an "open mind" to accept the possibilities of things that go beyond our normal understanding of our world and this art does do that.

Posted on: 2008/12/9 22:18

Honorary Villager
Group:
So let me get this straight... Soke said 2 things

1- People's kenjutsu is not very good and needs to be worked on.

2- something nobody understood correctly regarding being a container and having ability and potential.

Why is it that EVERYONE is focusing on the latter and NOBODY is focusing on the former?!

Posted on: 2008/12/10 1:53

Active Kutakian
From Barcelona (Spain)
Group:
Hi everyone,

I personally think that many people gives too much importance to the yearly theme. And this, IMHO (wow ! I use this expresion !) is a big mistake.
After every year Sôke announce the next year theme you can see almost all the instructors announcing his seminars according to this theme, and many of them focus his classes almost only in the year theme, forgetting all the rest.
BIG MISTAKE.
As Sôke told us many years ago, the yearly theme is ONLY for study in Japan. Is what he (Sôke) wants that we (instructors) improve and study for ourselves in order to be capable to teach it to our students in the next future, but not at the same moment.
Of course that if Sensei announce Togakure Ryu for 2008 we can teach what we knows about it in some classes, a seminar or maybe during 1 or 2 separate months during the year, but not all the year. Not focus only in the year theme. We have NEVER forget all the other past themes, other weapons or other ryu ha.

That's what Sôke wants, at least is what he told us some years ago, and I think that never changed since then.

Regards,
Dani

Posted on: 2008/12/10 3:37

Dani Esteban -Koryu-
Bujinkan Bushi Dojo
Barcelona (Spain)
http://bushidojo.wordpress.com

Honorary Villager
From New York City
Group:
Quote:

GreyArea wrote:

JoshNYC
...".Quote:
I just got back from Japan and saw a lot of poor kenjutsu, not that I could do better.

So how do you know then, that it was poor?

The same way you know when you see someone doing something well or poorly.

Posted on: 2008/12/10 8:06

New York City Benevolent Heart Dojo
www.BenevolentHeart.org

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 »

[Advanced Search]

Today's Sponsor