Recent Topics

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Dojo in New York City area
Just Passing Through
Group:
村民 :: Villager
Hi everyone,

I am interested in finding a dojo to start training in ninjutsu in the New York City area. I have been doing some research on the internet and found some web sites of local dojos as well as the Winjutsu yellow pages but there are an overwhelmingly large number of Bujinkan dojos in New York and New Jersey! Does anyone here know anything about any of these dojos (or any that I might not know about) or have any advice for me about choosing a teacher or a dojo?

Thank you for your time.

G. Singer

Posted on: 2008/12/2 6:10
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Dojo in New York City area
Villager
From London
Group:
I do have some advice:

Try them all!

Posted on: 2008/12/2 7:44

Kutaki Postmaster
From New York, NY
Group:
It's a good idea to try out different places and find a teacher that you mesh with. Feel free to stop by our dojo anytime. You're right, you've got lots of choices in NYC!

Posted on: 2008/12/2 13:44

Honorary Villager
From New Jersey, USA
Group:
I would also agree that you should check out as many of the dojo in the area as you can. Each dojo has it's own "feel", so I'm sure you'll find someone, somewhere to train with.

In the past (and from time to time even now) several of the instructors in the NY/NJ area have gotten together to do seminars that showcase lessons from each person. These are great opportunities to get an idea of the qualities and personalities.

Also please remember that the best instructor for you may not be the closest or most conveniently located. Budo is not about convenience!

Posted on: 2008/12/3 0:46

Villager
From Grove City, Ohio
Group:
I would recommend muzosa.com-Rob and Jeff are two very good friends of mine and provide excellent instruction-they are both very different, but come from the same source (teacher)-Rob trains in Central Park primarily and Jeff has a studio-you can find all the info you need on their site-Good luck

Sean Snyder

Posted on: 2008/12/3 11:04

Just Passing Through
Group:
Dear G,
There is a ton of training in NYC. I agree with Sean Snyder's recommendation. Jeff and Rob are great. I train with them all the time. You can also look up Joe Maurantonio. I have met him a few times at various events, and he is also a great guy.
Good luck,
Jess Attilli
Ichi Nen Dojo
Seville, Ohio

Posted on: 2008/12/4 7:05

Kutaki Postmaster
From New York, NY
Group:
There's not so many choices in the outer boroughs, unfortunately. We're in Manhattan, along with Mark Guest, Josh Polier, Anthony Lucas, and Orin Paliwoda. Josh also has some classes in Brooklyn Heights, I think. Not sure if Oliver Martin is still teaching in Manhattan, since his site is down.

Joe Maurantonio is in Bronxville, if that's more convenient for you. I think Warren Young is near there also, although I admit I'm clueless about anything north of the Harlem River.

Where are you at and what are you looking for in training? That might help you narrow down your search a bit.

Posted on: 2008/12/5 2:03

Just Passing Through
Group:
Hi again,

Thanks for all of your responses. This is definitely helpful.

I live in Redhook (a recent transplant from Manhattan) but I don't mind traveling to find the right place to learn.

I took some karate in high school and I liked it, but it has been over 15 years since I have done any martial arts and I feel like karate is probably not for me anymore. I mentioned to a friend that I was interested in taking up martial arts again a couple of years ago and he told me that he was a ninjutsu student and showed me some of his books and talked to me about the Bujinkan. Ninjutsu seemed really interesting, especially some of the weapons and the history, and I like the idea of staying in Japanese martial arts.

Unfortunately, I ended up not following through at that time and am now out of touch with my friend and don't remember where he said that he was studying. I feel like I am at a point in my life where it's now or never to do this (I just turned 30) and I don't know anyone else who is studying ninjutsu, so for me the internet seemed like the best bet.

To be honest, I don't know much about ninjutsu that can't be found on google or youtube so sorry if I sound ignorant, but I have a question that I couldn't find the answer to. How are classes usually structured? I know that this art is run from Japan so is there a lot of variation between schools as to what is taught or is there a standardized curriculum? (Just curious).

Thank you again to everyone who has answered my post.

Greg Singer

Posted on: 2008/12/6 2:53

Active Kutakian
From New York
Group:
Hello Greg & everyone,

There's a web site a buddy and I set up a couple of years ago that attempts to list many of the Bujinkan schools in the NY area.

You can check it out at:
http://newyorkbujinkan.com/

My advice in searching out a school is:
There are many instructors in the area, but like a wife or business partner, you should find the one that's just right for you.

Happy holidays and good training!

- Joe

Posted on: 2008/12/6 6:44

Honorary Villager
From New York City
Group:
Quote:

GSinger wrote:

So is there a lot of variation between schools as to what is taught or is there a standardized curriculum? (Just curious).

Thank you again to everyone who has answered my post.

Greg Singer

There is indeed a lot of variation between schools. There is no standardized curriculum.

People may bring up using the "TenChiJin" however everyone interpretation of this work is highly different IMHO. Having just got back from Daikomyosai and seeing the wide interpretation for "basics" presented in front of Hatsumi Sensei I feel compelled to answer that there is huge variation between Bujinkan schools, starting at the "top."

Posted on: 2008/12/8 21:44

New York City Benevolent Heart Dojo
www.BenevolentHeart.org

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Today's Sponsor