Firearms Training
Villager
From Auburn, AL
Group:
村民 :: Villager
Thunder Ranch
Clint Smith

http://www.thunderranchinc.com/

This guy is excellent, his methodology to training is similar to ours. His firing stances are wonderful kamae. He has practical ideas, and has thought deeply about what those who came before him said.

I'm going to go to the concealed carry and defensive pistol courses eventually. His videos are EXCELLENT, literally the best I've ever seen, and I've seen a lot.

Most firearms courses are about speed, operating in teams, etc. This applies fine to police and military, but Smith approaches many issues from that of an individual acting defensively.

I've been studying firearms in taijutsu as a side project for the past few months, and I really would suggest this guy's stuff as a stable platform to explore from.

Has anyone found anyone else they have been impressed with, with regard to firearms? Not impressed with?

Posted on: 2008/12/4 2:21

U.G. Wilson
1st Dan under Jeff Davis (9th dan)
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Firearms Training
Permanent Village Fixture
From Toronto/Waterloo, Canada Eh!
Group:
You may wish to look up Brad Hutchinson, a Canadian shihan who also teaches firearms training.

I haven't had much contact as he's half way across the country but he breifly showed some firearms stuff at the Canadian taikai this past March.

Though Canada is not the first place I'd head for handgun training...lol... he does train with handguns and has a taijutsu background. ie "Smith and Wesson and Sig Arm L.E. Firearms Instructor School" ... hit up google for yourself.

Posted on: 2008/12/5 5:45

Active Kutakian
Group:
Firearms training is a huge topic (disarms, retention, long gun, pistol, use of bayonet, team tactics, use of cover, concealing weapons, drawing, preventing draws, detecting hidden weapons, avoiding fire, firing while moving, etc, etc.)

Some of the most interesting ideas, especially promoting fluidity within chaos, are from Systema, a Russian martial art with ties to the Russian military.

In my opinion (as a cop, firearms instructor, Bujinkan 10th dan and Systema instructor) what is most important and is often only given lip service in conventional firearms training is movement. Too many folks freeze in place while shooting. It is very important to be fluid (mentally and physically).

The loud noise, recoil and fear of firearms causes many folks to freeze while training with them. To shoot accurately while moving in 3 dimensions (laterally, vertically an diagnally) is an important skill.

Sonny Puzikas, a Systema instructor and former Spetsnaz soldier, has an excellent DVD on movement and fighting with and AK-47/74. Konstantin Komarov, former GRU major, has excellent ideas and a DVD on movement and fighting with a pistol.

Force on force training is also important as well. Static training against static targets is like trying to learn martial arts on a punching bag in your garage. You need to learn to react to and anticipate what a living opponent will do.

Posted on: 2008/12/19 14:01

Active Kutakian
Group:
Here is a little clip of some of the type of training I'm talking about:

http://www.stevejam.com/martial_art/index3.html

I'm not trying to sell a particular style but just show you some possibilities. Right now I'm hardly doing any Systema and have been practicing Gracie-style Brazilian Jujutsu for the past year.

Posted on: 2008/12/19 14:22

Villager
From Maryland, USA
Group:
Looked like some good training. Many common themes with advanced or should I say applicable pistol/weapon craft displayed there. Ofcourse, the Russian slant is there with the type of "conditioning drills" shown.

Thanks for sharing.

Posted on: 2008/12/20 20:04

For every one hundred shots, one hundred hits!

Proverb for wishing one ultimate success.

Lee Relf

Just Passing Through
Group:
I will be hosting a 2 day seminar in the north of scotland with Ed martin on the 20th June 2009. Theme is hostage tactics on aircraft and cqb arm and disarm pistol. Please watch out for seminar poster.

Posted on: 2008/12/21 7:47

Cant Stay Offline
From Sacramento, CA (USA)
Group:
村長 :: Admin
議長 :: Mod
Quote:

bigred wrote:
Here is a little clip of some of the type of training I'm talking about:

http://www.stevejam.com/martial_art/index3.html

I love that kind of intense training! In my opinion, however, the average person isn't going to have a gun on them, nor would they be engaged in a firefight scenario with the intent to stay and exchange fire with the opponent. Realistically, it would be better to know cover, concealment and moving under fire as a means of protect and escape, without a firearm to use in return, and having skills in improvised weapons.

At least that's the scenario most folks around here would likely be presented with, if they EVER are in the middle of guys with guns bent on shooting and killing.

Considering the likelihood of campus shootings, workplace shootings, crossfire from rival gangs, or maybe bad luck at a hotel in Dubai, having experience in such training would be helpful - especially if you can get your hand on a firearm, whether acquired voluntarily or not...

I also like the training weapons used. Similar types of "safe" ammo is good for realism, where real firearms are used, but with either rubber or "pain" bullet heads. Of course, protective body gear is a must!

Posted on: 2008/12/21 8:45

I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, or in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. ~ Thomas Jefferson

Active Kutakian
Group:
Quote:
[...] the average person isn't going to have a gun on them, nor would they be engaged in a firefight scenario with the intent to stay and exchange fire with the opponent. Realistically, it would be better to know cover, concealment and moving under fire as a means of protect and escape, without a firearm to use in return, and having skills in improvised weapons.

I just want to emphasize this point. I have trained in several styles and training groups and people always got very excited when it came to firearms. Maybe it´s because playing around with plastic or rubberguns was something most males did in childhood.

I think there is even more danger in this training then in knife training - the trainees get an impression that it`s really very simple.

If you want to train, it might be a good idea to get up to some theoretical background (balistics) and finding someone who has good experience. As well as having good developed in the skills mentioned in the quote.

Posted on: 2008/12/23 18:11

"Thou art a child of nature.
Thou shalt know that it art a crime to murder thy mother.
Yet, I hear her skriek in horror ... "

Cant Stay Offline
From Pennsylvania, USA
Group:
議長 :: Mod
師導士会 :: Shidoshikai
That is a point that should be emphasized in our training. When it comes to guns, many of us have grown up using them and as a result have a whole different perspective on "guns" then those who have not. If you never used guns before, they hold a certain mystic which is misplaced. They don't just suddenly make you powerful. IF you know how to use them well then they DO give you a huge advantage, but you MUST know how to use them well. That takes time and a LOT of practice, it is not gotten easily or quickly. Most people cannot afford either the time or expense of that type of training. Learning how to seek cover and respond quickly to the threat of a gun is more easily learned. (and a whole lot less expensive) One must respect what that weapon can do, you must know what it can and cannot do, and you must keep your fear controlled. This is very much true of a knife also. I happen to think that a knife is more dangerous as it can hurt you in so many ways and they exist in quantity all over the world. As for guns, the saying that "god created man and Sam Colt made men equal" (not an exact quote), really forgets the need for experise with that gun. If you want to learn, go to someone who has experienced combat and who can teach you the things that are not put down in books. Your choice of a "teacher" will determine what you get.

Posted on: 2008/12/23 23:34

Just Passing Through
Group:
i have done a great deal of training with firearms and was a trained instructor. There is a saying that goes "It's the nut behind the but" which is very true. One must recognize the dangers of working with firearms and ballistics and see the reality of Truth and falsehood within. It is important that if you are training with firearams within a martial art, much of the training will focus around defense,disarm, retention and making safe. Only when you have sufficient experience in the basics of this form of taijutsu should you venture forward. It is important to discern between the fairytale and reality when training like this. Most operational instructors will only teach advanced work in suitable environments and with chosen students. To venture beyond the basics in this with an untrained mind is rather like puting an individual in a combat situation that has no grasp of the essence and practicalities of battle. Like sanshin and kihon together which determine the real battle feeling is like eating weatabix without the milk - dry and disgusting.

Posted on: 2008/12/24 6:05

(1) 2 3 »

[Advanced Search]

Today's Sponsor