Recent Topics

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Training in Iraq?
Honorary Villager
From Los Angeles,CA
Group:
村民 :: Villager
Hi everyone,

Im a Marine living in CA, and my unit is gonna be shipped out to Iraq pretty soon. For security reasons, i cant say the exact location, but, to anyone whos been overseas:

1) are there any training groups out there?

and if not

2) whats the best way to continue training, without a teacher?

Ive been training only about 2 years in this art. my first year, i felt very lost because i had not been grounded in the basics. Now in my second year, with a different teacher, i feel much more confident in my basics,but i am still very young in this art. I would like to hear any ideas on continuing training/practice, possibly without an uke, and definitely without a teacher...

any takers?

Posted on: 2009/1/2 3:29

Train for war....Pray for peace.
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Training in Iraq?
Villager
From Abbotsford, BC Canada
Group:
Check with shihan Phil Legare at onibujin.com I know there have been training groups there in the past.

Chris

Posted on: 2009/1/3 6:33

Village Old Timer
From San Francisco, California, USA
Group:
If it turns out that there's no one in your AO, as a next-best alternative there should be a MCMAP program instructor around, or at least a group of your fellow Marines who are training regularly.

Posted on: 2009/1/3 7:28

Villager
From Maryland, USA
Group:
Hello,

The only groups I knew of that lasted six months or more were on Army FOBs or in the International Zone (Green Zone). So as a Marine that might be a lil' hard to get to.

Having made that trip a couple of times now, for your Taijutsu sake continue to do Sanshin/Gogyo and Junan Taiso. Due to my work schedule (17 to 20 hour work days) I could only do Taiso strecthing two or three times a week. When I re-deployed I could barely keep up, and it put me back flexibility wise...... I learned the first time and didn't make that mistake again!

Even though I did tons of walking (Patrols, etc) my limbs and spine became very stiff after cooling down from movements to include doing the rucksack flop we are all too use to after this kind of activity. If you have a punching bag set up, you can solo train on conditioning with the Hokken Juroppo also. If you really have a good set up don't forget the Taihenjutsu. If you get really bored grab a few Marines and go the MCMAP route (which might be mandatory in your unit anyway) or start a small group of MCMAPers who enjoy martial arts and share on the side.

I guess my point is if you really don't have an active Bujinkan partner keep flexible and condition with the kihon it will go along way over there!

Take care and if we meet on the flip side some day the first one's on me,

Lee

Posted on: 2009/1/5 4:34

For every one hundred shots, one hundred hits!

Proverb for wishing one ultimate success.

Lee Relf

Honorary Villager
From Los Angeles,CA
Group:
Thanks to everyone who posted replies!

I greatly appreciate the ideas.

I will most definitely continue working on sanshin/gogyo,
as well as my taihenjutsu. Even if i could find one other Marine interested in training, im sure it would be beneficial in some way.

If anyone has any more input or ideas, please feel free to post them. I check back here to keep current on training ideas and suggestions from the boards.

once again thank you all.

David

Posted on: 2009/1/21 14:01

Train for war....Pray for peace.

[Advanced Search]

Today's Sponsor