Socialize

Recent Topics

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Black, White, Green, Yellow Polka dot?
Active Kutakian
From South Carolina
Group:
村民 :: Villager
Occasionally I get to train with others and the question of "belt" comes up. I train alone and will probably do so for the next 12-18 months, until I can clear off my debt and pay for classes. Since I'm training alone, the belt concept is more for visualization and holding myself accountable.

If I had an instructor and they said "you're a black belt in other arts, I expect you to show that here", I'd be one hard working black belt. If they said "you're starting over as a white belt", then I'm quickly at the far end of the white belt line. They might say "you have a 4th Kyu certificate from years ago, you are a green belt", and there I am.

What thoughts do you have, and what would you say to me if you were the instructor or a fellow student?

Leam

Posted on: 2009/2/9 3:48

Re: Black, White, Green, Yellow Polka dot?
Occasional Visitor
From Denver, Colorado
Group:
Quote:
Leam wrote:
... what would you say to me if you were the instructor or a fellow student?

Speaking as a fellow student, I think I'd say 'Hiya - I'm Carl. Nice to meet you. You wanna attack first, or shall I?'

Posted on: 2009/2/9 4:11

Village Old Timer
From Istanbul Turkiye
Group:
I would ask our Dojo's 4th Kyu requirements and if you are ok, why not go on from that level?
Other than that I think your black belts in other martial arts belong to those arts but I am sure your knowledge form them can help you move easier and maybe quicker (sometimes can make negative affects).
The best answer will be given from your Bujinkan Sensei who will accept you to their Dojo as every man has different approach and responsible of his decissions.

Posted on: 2009/2/9 4:16
-----------------------------------------
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Cant Stay Offline
From Sacramento, CA (USA)
Group:
村長 :: Admin
議長 :: Mod
Rank really is only a personal thing, not something you can use to specifically rate yourself against others - including other arts and even other shidoshi's teaching curriculum or class structure. In my opinion, ranking is something between a student and his teacher, period.

If you came into my dojo, I'd let you wear whatever you were last given - and inquire into your training history and who your teacher is/was. If you wanted to be a regular student, I would wonder why you weren't training with your original teacher. This is only because I view ranking as a personal thing between teacher and student and that relationship is sacred and important. I don't want to step on anybody's toes, in other words.

A break in training means you need to train hard to catch up. The rank thing isn't a big deal - wear your belt, your patches, etc. But, if you want to advance past that, you have to first get caught up, then develop beyond it.

Rank in other arts mean zero to me. My class is a Bujinkan class so only Bujinkan ranking is represented. Other arts have their benefits, but also can interfere with what we do, so they can't be represented the same in a Bujinkan class. Apples and oranges...

If I trained in another art for whatever reason, I would want to be treated just as I am - a rookie - even if my Bujinkan ranking, years training, etc are higher than the other art's teacher.

Posted on: 2009/2/9 5:27

I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, or in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. ~ Thomas Jefferson

Cant Stay Offline
From Hamina, Finland
Group:
師導士会 :: Shidoshikai
Quote:

Leam wrote:
They might say "you have a 4th Kyu certificate from years ago, you are a green belt", and there I am.

Well, if you have been graded as a Yonkyû, and have the diploma for it (or can redirect the teacher to confirm your grade from the grader) then why shouldn't you be "wearing" that grade...

It is up to you yourself how fast you can reach the lost time/ground and move onwards, though. Might work as a good boostr, too....

Gambatte!

Posted on: 2009/2/9 6:37
(Bujinkan Budōka since 1985)

Active Kutakian
From South Carolina
Group:
"Hi Carl! I learn slow, let me attack first so I can see how this should work." :)

All, I appreciate the feedback. Not stepping on toes, or in my case being presumptous, is important. In this case my Yonkyu is from 1996; I have both a certificate from my instructor who was under Stephen Hayes and a Japanese paper from Soke.

But that was 1996. I've moved a lot, trained with some of the local folks here when I could, and contacted one of the senior students from my old school. He remembered me and we had a good chat.

Thanks guys!

Leam

Posted on: 2009/2/9 6:55

Cant Stay Offline
From Pennsylvania, USA
Group:
師導士会 :: Shidoshikai
You've been given the key, Leam, real rank is inside you,not around your waist. What I would do was any rank given by a recognized Bujinkan instructor would be honored, Any certificate from Dr Hatsumi is final proof. Now if you want to wear another color all you do is say what is important to you. What should be most important is your own growth and progression, not what others see in your belt. Your own actions will grade you quickly enough.

Posted on: 2009/2/9 7:38

Active Kutakian
From Boynton Beach, Florida
Group:
I wouldn't sweat the rank or belt thing.

There are many people wearing belts that they are very far from deserving.

Remember there are 5 year Judans in our system. There are also 5 year green belts. Rank is the most meaningless thing in the Bujinkan.

Just train and train some more. Wear a white belt, this way you'll always remember that your a student.

Posted on: 2009/2/9 9:51

"Good, now this time do it with taijutsu"

Village Old Timer
Group:
I wouldn't worry about the rank thing. You're only responsible for your own training. If you keep pushing forward regardless of what kinds of pieces a paper one might ask you about or give you, you should be fine.

Just keep trying to perfect what you already have as a yonkyu. For example the KIHON HAPPO and SAN SHIN and your ukemi. I would start with body control.

Good luck

Posted on: 2009/2/9 21:18

[Advanced Search]

Today's Sponsor