Recent Topics

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 ... 5 6 7 (8)

Re: The Sensitivity Process
Honorary Villager
From Nanaimo, BC, Canada
Group:
村民 :: Villager
I trained with Dr. Morris quite a lot back in the day and even lived with him in Louisiana for 3 months while doing so. He was one of my favourite people to spend time with. Very interesting and very fun to be around.

I do my best to let others speak for themselves but as he no longer is able to do so, at least on the web, I'll do my best to describe I the way I think he would combined with how I understood it.

Jen seems to have hit the nail right on the head. Despite what the all the negative rumours say about him, he did not pirport to teach is own stuff as Bujinkan. Rather, he was an intellectual/scholar who studied a wide variety of martial arts in hopes of developing a system that would basically be a "summary" or to make a scholarly reference, a "coles notes" of the deepest and most effective aspects of the martial in the world. Bujinkan was one of, if not his most favourite for quite a few years. Not long before he died he was also trying to turn me on to combative Sambo and Systema.

I think he was successful in his goal. The martial art he created is a quick and dirty way to fuck up most of the worlds martial artists. However, if you become a long term practitioner, Bujinkan is probably more up your alley as it has infinite depth. Most people who have studied a given topic for many years will eventually get to a point where it becomes difficult to challenge oneself anymore so I fully understand why some people have done Hoshin for ten or so years and then moved on to Bujinkan.

The biggest difference from "the booj" and Hoshin is that in Hoshin you are taught a whole lot of exotic spiritual.energetic things right from the beginning. This is very to seductive to many, including myself. Although I am very thankful for the wild experiences that Dr. morris gave me with these, I no longer recommend them to people who are looking to acheive a higher plane'. They will take you there, but the shortcut to such a place has a toll fee and the road is bumpy.

In short, I think Hoshin is a good martial art for people who want to learn a quick and dirty method of protecting themselves, but if they really want to go deep into budo and the nature behind it, then they have to spend a lot of time studying under Hatsumi Sensei and the Japanese Shihan.

Posted on: 2009/3/24 13:31
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: The Sensitivity Process
Permanent Village Fixture
From Cupertino, CA
Group:
村民 :: Villager
Ryan's post reminds me a known story about late Paul Newman, who was happily married (when he married for the second time) and "was devoted to his wife and family. When asked about infidelity, he quipped, "Why go out for hamburger when you have steak at home?" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Newman).

mn

Posted on: 2009/3/24 14:46
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

« 1 ... 5 6 7 (8)

[Advanced Search]

Today's Sponsor