Mr. Aso's Y12,000 handout
Village Old Timer
From Matsudo City, Chiba, Japan
Group:
村民 :: Villager
In the news today,

Aso's Y12,000 cash handout bill enacted; Koizumi avoids punishment
Wednesday 04th March, 02:32 PM JST

TOKYO — Embattled Prime Minister Taro Aso finally got rid of what has dragged him down for months, as a bill to implement a contentious cash handout plan cleared the Diet on Wednesday with a two-thirds majority in a revote in the House of Representatives.

Since the 2 trillion yen cash benefit scheme was proposed last October, Aso, 68, often faced criticism as he could give no clear answer to what the scheme was designed for or whether or not he himself would accept the payment.

- snip -

The whole article is here.

I'm assuming foreign folk will get this, too. Children receive a further Y8000. For famiilies, that's a nice chunk of money.

I was thinking of something meaningful to do with my Y12000. Last year, the Canadian province of British Columbia gave a $100 climate action dividend to each resident, which resulted in campaigns to collectively spend the money on environmental organizations and projects.

What do you want to do with your cash handout? Will you spend it on something budo-related? Or donate it? Or spend it on necessities? Or cooperate with others to work towards some goal?

Posted on: 2009/3/4 18:23

Re: Mr. Aso's Y12,000 handout
Village Old Timer
From Dayton, Ohio
Group:
Well Liz,

It seems that that those still unfortunately employed earn too much to get any money from the Gov. However, especially at this time of year, I would likely use it to pay my taxes, which will be use to pay the give back. Kind of ironic isn't it.

Marty

Posted on: 2009/3/4 18:34

Village Old Timer
Group:
Many of the online forums, Japanese and English language, here in Japan have comments much like yours - people say they intend to apply this national handout to their municipal tax payments.

In Japan, every child and adult resident will receive the Y12000. Children and those over retirement age get Y20000.

Posted on: 2009/3/4 18:48

村長 :: Sonchou
From Chiba, Japan
Group:
村長 :: Admin
The term in Japanese for this is 定額給付金 - "teigaku kyuufu" ('flash benefit').

Apparently in order to claim it, each person must physically go to their local city hall and fill out the forms and then designate a bank account into which the government will deposit the money.

Coincidentally, I just got a request from one of the local city halls last night to translate one of the application forms for this so that English-speakers will know how to fill it out properly.

Shawn

Posted on: 2009/3/5 11:05
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Village Old Timer
Group:
Shawn, thanks for posting the kanji for the benefit.

Today's Japan Times has a FAQ about the handout and eligibility. See the article here.

Posted on: 2009/3/5 13:16

Village Old Timer
Group:
議長 :: Mod
i can't imagine how the government couldn't find something more beneficial to do with 2.4 trillion yen.

Posted on: 2009/3/5 14:12
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Village Old Timer
Group:
Why the government agreed to a tax handout when it tax relief could achieve much the same purpose, I don't know.

Anyway, you can collect if you want to.

It's supposed to get us to spend, but there is worry people will simply hoard it. One of my coworkers has two kids and a grandma. That's a big haul of cash - ¥80000.

I live in a quiet street with families, and I'm considering asking neighbours if they want to pool funds and build a garden. We've got a huge space not cultivated behind my building. Amongst other ideas I have...

Posted on: 2009/3/5 18:19

[Advanced Search]

Today's Sponsor