Kito Ryu Ten No Maki 16 2017/12/11 12:40
fskopfpatro
Anyone tried Rosetta Stone? 20 2017/12/10 13:18
fskopfpatro
BladesPro 14 2017/12/9 17:45
fskopfpatro

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 7 »

Re: SPECIAL OFFER! NINJUTSU TEACHERS TRAINING COURSE.
Active Kutakian
From Memphis, TN - USA
Group:
村民 :: Villager
Quote:

侶武 wrote:
Here is a list of problems with these programs.

1. The Bujinkan was not intended to be a business and is not a business. The Dojo is not a money making opportunity.

2. The over the web teaching/ home study martial art programs that guarantee rank is not ensuring proper instruction. But only designed to make one money and keep them in the system under those that provide the course.

3. We have enough Shidoshi that shouldn't be, and enough tenth dans that ought to train more and clean up their sloppy taijutsu. We don't need more sloppy shidoshi being created by learn at home programs under this guy or others.

4. Learn at home Shidoshi will create a whole new generation of practitioners that are just as clueless as their teachers. And, a vicious cycle of suck-i-tude will ensue.

Basically, Don't make the Bujinkan a business!

Do you run a dojo?

Posted on: 2009/3/9 11:44
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Village Old Timer
Group:
議長 :: Mod
No, but I have shidoshi kai membership and have been a shidoshi since 2004/2005 (I think) I can't remember I'll have to look at my menkyo. And before that a shidoshi kai member since 2001.

Where I live there is no need to run a dojo.

Posted on: 2009/3/9 12:07

Permanent Village Fixture
Group:
Quote:
侶武 wrote: Here is a list of problems with these programs. 1. The Bujinkan was not intended to be a business and is not a business. The Dojo is not a money making opportunity. 2. The over the web teaching/ home study martial art programs that guarantee rank is not ensuring proper instruction. But only designed to make one money and keep them in the system under those that provide the course. 3. We have enough Shidoshi that shouldn't be, and enough tenth dans that ought to train more and clean up their sloppy taijutsu. We don't need more sloppy shidoshi being created by learn at home programs under this guy or others. 4. Learn at home Shidoshi will create a whole new generation of practitioners that are just as clueless as their teachers. And, a vicious cycle of suck-i-tude will ensue. Basically, Don't make the Bujinkan a business!

I believe that there are quite of few in the Bujinkan that agree with you. Mostly, I think they are of the younger generation who wants to make more of this art. The previous generations that also believe that has either moved on or almost ghost in the realm of politics that are involved within this organization.

The reality is it is a business. An example, would be the announcement earlier this year about the Bujinkan status as Religious organization. It has been since SKH introduced it to the Western world. I am not blaming SKH for it. I am just using him as a time reference because it was around the time when the Bujinkan as an international organization was created. The problems you listed are not recent phenomenons. Opponents of the Bujinkan have been making these same criticisms for almost two decades. As an outsider of this group looking in, I believe their maybe some truth to alot of the accusation made against the Bujinkan.

People do have the right to run their Organization or Dojo as they see fit. From a business perspective, most problems within a companies culture starts from the very top and worked its way down. To solve said problems means that the solution must also come from the top and trickle down. This doesn't mean that the solution can not be offered or created from anywhere else within the hierarchy. The more people involved in the problem solving the better. Just the implementation should have this top-down approach.

First, you should identify the problem and its source. This involves be honest about the realities of the situation. If people can't do that then they will be stuck right there. I feel this is where people are concerning this situation which why it hasn't changed yet.

Good luck with the revolution!

Posted on: 2009/3/9 12:45

Village Old Timer
Group:
I realize nothing will change, and this kind of thing will continue to happen.

All, I can really do is avoid certain teachers and certain groups that do make the Bujinkan a business. And also avoid certain teachers that give out rank for money or for creating a bigger network or organization under themselves.

Now, there is nothing wrong with maintaining a dojo and covering your costs of that dojo. And if you end up making some money there is nothing wrong with that. But, setting out to make money is the wrong way. Having a dojo is a having a place for the teacher and students to learn and train. Not a place to exchange money and marketing tips.

A dojo is not a business.

Posted on: 2009/3/9 12:55

Active Kutakian
From Memphis, TN - USA
Group:
Regardless, you need at least a basic business plan to keep a dojo running if it is more serious than something you are doing in your backyard or garage.

Some people really want to teach full time, and if they do so, they have to run it like a business. It's just the way it is.

I see nothing wrong with running a martial arts school as a business as long as the instructor is providing quality goods and services to his students.

A dojo is not a church.

Posted on: 2009/3/9 14:01

Village Old Timer
Group:
In Japan a dojo is relatively small. Most training with a lot of people are held at gyms and budokans owned by the city.

You don't need to open a dojo in a strip mall.

You don't have to make a dojo to be serious, you can hold training at a gym. A dojo is not just a place. One can have a dojo without a static place to train.

Many serious dojo's in japan don't own a dojo. They often train at local gyms and budokans. Being serious has nothing to do with having a dojo as a business location. They have per person fees to cover the training space- mat fees.

Posted on: 2009/3/9 14:27

村長 :: Sonchou
From Budapest - Hungary
Group:
村長 :: Admin
Without agreeing with the "training as business" idea: - I don't know how is it at other countries but as for Hungary: there are no gyms or Budokans owned by the city.
So you can hold the training either in a gym that is owned by a company, or go to an elementary- or highschool gym.

The rental fee for the latter takes 1/3 of an average monthly salary if you hold two trainings a week. The former takes double as much.
Of course it all covers the roof and the walls of the room only. No mats, no training tools, etc. Cannot even think of such a luxury as tatami

Among such circumstances the question of money comes in the picture as a significant factor.

Again, without agreeing with the "hardcore business" approach...

Eva

Posted on: 2009/3/9 18:38

Village Old Timer
Group:
Most gyms will have mats to use. Also one's ukemi will become better if one trains on hard wood floors.
Also that's why you have mat/dojo space fees per class to pay for the space. Then charge what ever teaching fee you have for your students.

The main point is the bujinkan shouldn't be your job. If the dojo grows too big and you have a lot of students then you could teach full time. But I suggest that nobody should set out to do so. The focus is the determining factor.

Students should search you out not the other way arround. But in the beginning you need a few people to train with so try to find them. After the initial let everything else take it's natural course of action.

And by no means advertise they will get rank on a timeline.

Sorry about the rant.

Posted on: 2009/3/9 19:48

Frequent Visitor
From UK
Group:
The Bujinkan is a very loosely controlled organisation.

One good thing about loose regulation is that it allows people the freedom and responsibility to do things as they see fit, and as a result they are able to develop in certain ways. Whereas being tightly controlled might be said to encourage people into becoming unthinking, unquestioning automatons.

Unfortunately what often seems to happen, not just in martial arts but in many diverse areas where people have lots of freedom, is that a few start to go too far and abuse it. The people in charge are then compelled to say 'this is not good, enough is enough' and introduce tighter rules, regulations, controls, admin, formal structures, syllabi etc. etc.

When that happens the freedom enjoyed by so many is taken away because those few have abused it and basically ruined it for everyone else.

That's why I find it difficult to agree with any 'live and let live' kind of response - because if people continue to push the acceptable boundaries it will in the end have repercussions for everyone I think.

I know that in America freedom is a cornerstone of the culture and is valued greatly, therefore I would hope that one could see what a terrible thing it would be to abuse the unique freedom that exists in the Bujinkan and in the end have it taken away as a result.

I really hope it never comes to that...

Posted on: 2009/3/9 22:13

Village Old Timer
From Dayton, Ohio
Group:
This topic has drifted into an area near to my heart.

About 5 years ago I realized that I spent much more time and money on the dojo I went to than anything else. We had a small dojo in an older shopping area. It was the best our Dojo could afford.

We decided to take a bigger stake in our Dojo and I became part owner and we looked for a better training location. We found a factory area that was large and could potentially be a great place to train. It would require a large financial commitment which we carefully decided to take. We also decided to see if we could try to run it somewhat more commercially - to help pay for the debt. We were not commercial. It was not in our heart or stomach. Along the way, we have been able to get a few of our friends that live in Japan to come over and teach some seminars. This was a great opportunity and made possible only because of our great training location.

Interestingly, as the word of our dojo got around, we were inundated with suggestions that we bring other people to our dojo to have seminars. The amount required by these suggestions was staggering. It was interesting to see who was willing to cash in on their "Japan experiences" to make more than a few bucks. There was no way we could afford to have these teachers come to our dojo. Be assured, if we have someone come and teach at our Dojo, it is because we like to train with them, and because want them there!

Because we have undergone the expense of having this great place to train, we were able to have the Midwest Taikai and help to create a whole new group of Buyu that can learn from each other's experiences.

Those that teach to make a living become well known for just that. Those that help to pay their expenses by charging a fee - also become known for their worth. Those that do it out of the goodness of their heart, don't last long.

A dojo must be run like a business, to one degree or another!

Marty

Posted on: 2009/3/9 22:21

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 7 »

[Advanced Search]

Today's Sponsor