Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 3 (4)

Re: Tanto (safety against slipping)
Village Old Timer
Group:
村民 :: Villager
議長 :: Mod
http://iai-dojo.jp/modules/dojo/

A lot of iaido dojo through out japan. Not all of them but a lot of the easiest to join probably.

Posted on: 2009/3/18 17:04
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Honorary Villager
From Long Beach, WA/ Southern Oregon
Group:
?

Posted on: 2009/3/19 6:24

Honorary Villager
From Nanaimo, BC, Canada
Group:
May I suggest a plugin called "rikaichan" for your browser if you want to have a go at reading this and you're not one of the few westerners who can actually read kanji properly.

It's not really meant for people who don't speak ANY Japanese but it will still help. I only use firefox so I don't know if it works on IE.

Posted on: 2009/3/20 4:43

Just Passing Through
From Selangor, Malaysia
Group:
Hi guys, thanks for the posts, but let's get back to the topic.

First, about the types of tanto, yes I do agree that the reason why some don't have a tsuba is because of the concealment and drawing. Next is the smooth tsuka, I asked my instructor for his thoughts, his best guess what that it was more for decoration (I said, his best GUESS).

I'm confused about what you guys meant by putting your palm on the butt. I've tried it, but I don't want to make any asumptions. Could you please post a photo on the grip you were talking about?

And lastly, no more talk about "the reason to holding a blade", please. I live in Malaysia where it is illegal to carry blades unless they are for your profession, (self-defence doesn't count). So yeah, keep to the topic, please.

Cheers.

Posted on: 2009/3/21 22:08

Permanent Village Fixture
From Toronto/Waterloo, Canada Eh!
Group:
Though I agree with sticking to the topic of the discussion, I don't feel right about posting pictures on the internet instructing people on the best methods for holding a knife so that you don't cut yourself when stabbing someone. There is a purpose for spiritual development in this, and other, combat arts. I just feel that the likelyhood of the information landing in the wrong hands is a bit too high. I think this would be one of the reasons that Soke is concerned about the internet.

Some may argue that the information is already out there... they're probably correct, however I don't plan on grouping all of this information on an easy to find website that is attached to our art.

This website may help you out a bit though

http://www.ehow.com/how_4448988_use-knife-fork.html

keep experimenting!

Posted on: 2009/3/23 15:06

Kutaki Postmaster
From Colorado
Group:
This thread motivated me to look around for a functioning version of a folder that I could use for training, i.e dull. I found this and it arrrived today. Well worth it:

http://www.denverdiscountmart.com/KNI ... -KNIVES/MOKO2900A-BK.html

As close to real as I could want at a great price.

Also, one thing I discussed with an associate was the use of soapy water to simulate slipperiness (sp) in practice. Seems a bit neater than olive oil.

Posted on: 2009/3/24 12:38

Alan Witty...
www.warriorwindma.com

Occasional Visitor
From las vegas, nevada
Group:
hello all budoka, i'm Stephen Long, from the LAS VEGAS NINPO BUYU. lately, we've been studying TAKAGIYOSHIN-RYU TANTOJUTSU. i'm only a KUKYU, but still learning the basic Tantojutsu kamae (Shizen, kage, Jumonji, Hichi, Seigan, Gedan, Hira, Tenchi, Morote & Waki No kamae), doing various moving with the Tanto, switching off to different kamae when doing so. i havent got in the basic movements yet except NANAME USHIRO OMOTE KOTE KIRI (class was cut short til next week, so im sure i'll learn the rest) i have to say, in MY own personal life-experiences with knife-fighting, THIS has GOT to be the SCARIEST knife-fighting style i encountered, SERIOUSLY!! i have a Shodan/brother (who's our Shidoshi-Ho at our dojo) & he's been preparing me to get the feeling of training with Shinken (live blades) in order to FEEL that essence of REAL offensive/defensive combat. trust me, i respect most in this group because i KNOW you buyu are MORE advanced, but i'd like to hear everyone else's experiences in learning this weapon-style of this Ryuha. feel free to comment, RESPECTFULLY.. NINPO IKKAN

Posted on: 2009/4/5 16:27

Cant Stay Offline
From Pennsylvania, USA
Group:
議長 :: Mod
師導士会 :: Shidoshikai
If you choose to train with live blades be VERY careful, you are putting yourselves at high risk of serious injury or death. Do you really want to go there? One comment on the "slippery" issue, first the rate at which you tire is not solely on your physical condition, it is in how tense (or not) you are in your actions. The more relaxed you are the less you tire, (duh) so spend some effort working on relaxing during your technique, only very short bursts of tension when needed. Pay attention to your body. BTW while I do understand the attempt at "realism" with the live weapon thing, I question its need especially with the risk involved. You want to learn not be killed.

Posted on: 2009/4/5 22:15

Occasional Visitor
From las vegas, nevada
Group:
thanks for your advise papa-san, i respect it greatly. trust me, it actually was a trial-thing in shinken, but i'll train with a wooden tanto allday if it means NO injury. again, thanks for the advise kyodai, i respect it. keep in touch.. GAMBATTE

Posted on: 2009/4/6 12:24

« 1 2 3 (4)

[Advanced Search]

Today's Sponsor