Lost Password?

Register now!
Socialize

Recent Topics

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Bujinkan Dojos/info
Deleted_
Hi all,

Looking for the closest school to the Nova Scotia area, Canada, specifically Halifax, I prefer hands on instruction but have enough experience in martial arts to do the video training, although I have access to a few different clubs here, I usually use videos as "supplementary" training, much like I would a book, but thats my own personal learning style. Not looking to fast-track, but I am interested in opening a dojo down the road, and perhaps switching organizations to fully support the Bujinkan, there are many many things that interest me in the organization, but I have an equal amount of questions as one might imagine, any info/help with my research would be appreciated as it would be a serious move for me and perhaps the contact info of the Bujinkan governing body for Canada would be great, thanks :)

Posted on: 2009/4/2 2:41
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Bujinkan Dojos/info
Frequent Visitor
From canada
Group:
村民 :: Villager
師導士会 :: Shidoshikai
First, there is no governing body for Bujinkan in Canada, it just doesn't work that way.

Second, which organization do you currently belong to?

Posted on: 2009/4/2 5:00

"Practice every day, every moment...Learn from everything."
- Masaaki Hatsumi, Hiden no Togakure Ryu Ninpo

You cannot understand something if you first limit its scope.

Villager
From Abbotsford, BC Canada
Group:
Sensei often refers to BBT as the "martial art of distance". Perhaps he has been making a humerous malapropism about the fact that many of us have had to travel significantly in the past, now, and probably in the future to train ...

Perhaps you can be the first in Halifax!

Boston is not too far from Halifax, you might be able to find a dojo there to connect with. Also there are excellent people in Montreal, not too too far. And hey, the Canadian Taikai is next weekend in Toronto - good time to find people!

Gambatte kudasai!

Chris

Posted on: 2009/4/2 6:36

Frequent Visitor
From canada
Group:
師導士会 :: Shidoshikai
There's already a dojo in Halifax, Nova Scotia.

Posted on: 2009/4/2 7:33

"Practice every day, every moment...Learn from everything."
- Masaaki Hatsumi, Hiden no Togakure Ryu Ninpo

You cannot understand something if you first limit its scope.

Village Old Timer
From Matsudo City, Chiba, Japan
Group:
The governing body and mind of Bujinkan in Canada is Hatsumi Sensei

Sherrie said it. The Halifax Dojo is listed here. The Halifax dojo members have participated in Hatsumi Sensei's training (I've been living and training here 6 years and I've met them here).

Chris, right on, distance, and I'd add timing. When I get irritated about the distance and tight timing I have to get home to the Left Coast of Canada, keeping in mind the great distance and expense you have to cope with keeps perspective.

There are some awesome dojos relatively close. New York, Montreal...

I would love to go to the Canadian Taikai as water boy, but my academic schedule is fixed, and there is no way...Happy training to all those participating!

A little rant about opening your own dojo follows...

I train with two dojos here that are led by relatively new guys. Shawn Gray has had his own dojo for 7 or so years. There a senior Japanese member (20 years training) just opened his dojo doors this spring.

So? Train consistently with the right people, build relationships with seniors and juniors, earn your rank, and when you're ready, a teacher will ask you, "You ever thought about starting your own dojo?"

Posted on: 2009/4/2 9:13

Honorary Villager
From Nanaimo, BC, Canada
Group:
I've also met another fellow who lives in Halifax who is a Shidoshi. I liked him as a person and he has real life experience due to the type of work he does. (I'm not sure how open he is about his training so I won't throw his name or professionup here.) I have a friend who is from Halifax and I think is still living in Japan who would know him. I'm sure I could put you in touch with him. I'm a fan of trying more than one teacher periodically while having one as your main teacher.

I lived in Nova Scotia not so many years ago. I was unable to find anything beyond rumours of people who trained in Bujinkan out there in those days. Good to see things are changing. It's getting to the point where Bujinkan seems to be in every big town and in every second small town too.

heheh... makes me think of old man type stories "In MY DAY we used to have to drive for three weeks to get to the nearest dojo and then the sensei would beat us until we were black and blue and we would thank him for it..."

Posted on: 2009/4/2 10:38

Deleted_
fantastic, thx for all the helpful info everyone, and the link Erizabezu, its much appreciated. Didnt know about a 7th dan down here, thats great, I should have clarified earlier Im MMa instructor, been part of good club since its beginning in 96, but basically I have been interested in Budo Taijutsu for quite sometime, I agree with your statement Ryan regarding the different teachers, as I believe everyone has something different to offer, like many in these forums I have and will always continue to cross-train, but at this point in my life I believe now to be the best time as any to begin learning the art, I have no qualms about throwing on a white belt and putting in the long years of hard work :) Im grateful for all the info :)

Posted on: 2009/4/2 12:51

[Advanced Search]

Today's Sponsor