Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Bottom   Previous Topic   Next Topic  Topic is Locked

(1) 2 3 »

Things to be aware of while at the Hombu
Village Old Timer
Group:
村民 :: Villager
議長 :: Mod
Here is a list of things one ought to be aware of when visiting a dojo in Japan.

1. Shoes should be taken off at the entrance or genkan. Shoes should not touch any part of the dojo floor at anytime. So no shoes on the hard wood floor at the hombu. This includes tying your shoes using the edge of the floor.

2. Generally bow upon entering the dojo floor and leaving. In Japan people even bow to baseball fields at the beginning and the end of training.

3. Get permission to do anything not directly related to training. This includes taking pictures and video.

4. "Souji" cleaning of the dojo. You should not only clean up after yourself after training but also clean the dojo. After the bow out souji should be done. It is a part of training. If you aren't doing souji get off the tatami and allow those that are to do souji. Talk with people after souji is finished or outside of the dojo. Also please don't forget your stuff and any trash you brought with you.

5. Don't talk and carry on when the teacher is talking or teaching.

6. Mind your space when you are in the dojo, don't occupy space to talk while class is going on. If you want to talk do it off the dojo tatami. Because you are taking too much space doing nothing.

7. Try not to interupt other peoples training with your own selfish desires.

8. Change off the tatami when possible.

9. Bathroom and outdoor slippers are to be worn either in the bathroom and outside, not in the dojo.

10. Leave your ego outside. Just train well and always do your best. Everyone should be in the dojo for the right reasons.

This isn't an offical list, but a general list for how to act in a dojo in Japan.

There are other things to remember, but they all stem from having the proper respect for our teachers.

Posted on: 2009/4/11 16:21
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Things to be aware of while at the Hombu
村長 :: Sonchou
From Chiba, Japan
Group:
村長 :: Admin
If I may add a couple:

Quote:

3. Get permission to do anything not directly related to training. This includes taking pictures and video.

Some people seem to have developed the idea that its ok to place cameras / video-cameras on the kamidana to videotape classes. This is extremely offensive.

Also, it is polite to ask permission to take photos / video on every occasion that you wish to do so. Just because it was ok in the last class doesn't automatically mean its ok in this class. Just because it was ok during last years' training trip, doesn't automatically mean its ok this year too. Asking permission doesn't require a lot of effort or energy and goes a long way toward showing the instructor that you care about his dojo, his training, and his opinion. Otherwise he may conclude that you only care about your own.

Shawn

Posted on: 2009/4/14 10:10

Permanent Village Fixture
Group:
Good tips, I guess if there would be more focus on the study of tradition and mannerism much of that would not be an issue.

Posted on: 2009/4/15 0:57
七転び八起き

Villager
From Yamagata, Japan
Group:
And please don't ask for stupid translations like " I gave my order on Tuesday for 50 certificates, where are they?"

Posted on: 2009/4/15 10:31
Japan.

Cant Stay Offline
From Pennsylvania, USA
Group:
師導士会 :: Shidoshikai
It seems to me that all these should be obvious, I am sorry that to some they aren't. An attitude of respect and consideration will go a long way toward avoiding difficulties.

Posted on: 2009/4/15 11:20

Honorary Villager
Group:
Maybe this should be a FAQ and required reading before going to Japan for Shidoshi and their students?

Also, on point one:

Please stack your shoes and bags in a manner so Soke has a path to walk through. There are a lot of people who show up in that little building.

I know a lot of people who try to remember this but it only takes a few. "read the atmosphere"

Posted on: 2009/4/21 4:45

Village Old Timer
From Matsudo City, Chiba, Japan
Group:
Soke reminded us the other day how important it is to prepare your gear and weapons and in preparation for battle, to place the stuff in such a way you can easily access it.

It's too bad that Soke has to tell people this. He's patient, but why test him?

As Shawn mentioned, it's polite to ask to take photos and video, and it is best not to assume that because it was ok last time, it's ok this time. Also, ask that Shihan's students, too. The Shihan might say ok to your request, but their students may prefer not to be in your video.

Posted on: 2009/4/21 8:26

Active Kutakian
Group:
Quote:

Erizabesu wrote:
Soke reminded us the other day how important it is to prepare your gear and weapons and in preparation for battle, to place the stuff in such a way you can easily access it.

It's too bad that Soke has to tell people this. He's patient, but why test him?

I think the bags were stacked neatly. He had just been looking at the big pile and had the idea that you should know exactly where your bag (and shoes) are at all times even in a chaotic situation in the same way as you should know where all your weapons are stored in battle. Also if there was a disaster you could go straight to your bag (and shoes).

So I don’t think it was so much about manners but more about keeping a state of readiness.

On the original topic …

Do these rules extend only to the person training or are we including their staff of private interpreters, secretarys, etc ??

I just think the vibe from the people at soke’s classes was a lot different in the early ‘90s to today. Does it look as bazaar to anyone else as it does to me? The culture there certainly doesn’t feel like a dojo in Japan.

Posted on: 2009/4/23 13:38

Villager
From Tulare, California
Group:
師導士会 :: Shidoshikai
Duncan,
It's not just you. I think a lot of people see, and feel the same about the classes now. It is different.

Posted on: 2009/4/23 23:46

Village Old Timer
Group:
The list aren't rules. They are just general practices in various dojo in Japan, that people ought to be aware of.

But, it's an uphill battle sometimes just going to the dojo. I'm on the verge of just giving up.

Posted on: 2009/4/24 0:25

(1) 2 3 »

Topic is Locked

[Advanced Search]

Today's Sponsor