« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Things to be aware of while at the Hombu
Village Old Timer
From Dayton, Ohio
Group:
村民 :: Villager
Quote:

Duncan Mitchell wrote:

I just think the vibe from the people at soke’s classes was a lot different in the early ‘90s to today. Does it look as bazaar to anyone else as it does to me? The culture there certainly doesn’t feel like a dojo in Japan.

Could you elaborate Duncan? How is the Vibe different now? What about other dojos in Japan is not present or different at Hombu? Is the same for Ayase?

How much of this difference is because of Soke and how much is from the large number of foreigners?

Marty

Posted on: 2009/4/24 2:53
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Village Old Timer
From Matsudo City, Chiba, Japan
Group:
Duncan,

Yes, maintaining a state of readiness appeared to be Sensei's primary message. I mentioned his talk in this thread because manners and preparation, to my mind, are about awareness, adaptability and forethought.

Posted on: 2009/4/24 8:27

Villager
Group:
Right now, there is a sign in Japanese on the door of the honbu that essentially says, "If you have a cold, cough, fever or something else wrong with your health- STAY HOME!"

Swine flu is all over the news here, and there is already something else going around, so a little paranoia is to be expected.

Posted on: 2009/4/28 7:36

Village Old Timer
Group:
議長 :: Mod
Don,

They must have recently put the sign up. I know it has been mentioned over the last few months as well. Basically, there isn't a need to infect other people for the sake of training regardless if one has travelled to Japan to train.

This is also a strong reason to keep you gear clean and to do souji properly. Also washing ones hands before and after training is another good idea. To minimize and spread of germs already present in the dojo.

Posted on: 2009/4/28 8:53

Active Kutakian
Group:
Also be warned of a dangerous skin fungus running through judo, sumo and wrestling clubs in Japan at the moment.

Quote:

Doctors and officials say the sport of judo is facing ruin because of an infectious skin fungus spreading through clubs across Japan. It is passed from one participant to another during the grappling that is at the heart of the sport.

Practitioners of Western-style wrestling and the ancient sport of sumo have also been afflicted by Trichophyton tonsurans, a skin-eating fungus similar to athlete’s foot. So concerned is the sport’s governing body, the All Japan Judo Federation, that it commissioned research to gauge the extent of the problem.

It revealed that almost one third of judo clubs and half of all high-school judo teams have been struck by the fungus, which is highly infectious and difficult to treat. Its symptoms include patches of redness on the neck, face and upper body, which are often itchy and swollen.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news ... d/asia/article6072282.ece

Posted on: 2009/4/28 9:19

Village Old Timer
Group:
That sounds nasty. Thanks Duncan.

Hatsumi sensei mentioned swine flu and the like and encouraged people to be cautious not to spread infection around. We have to think of others as well as ourselves.

He also said to be careful of things you can't see because those are the things that will most likely kill you. He also said we need to understand such things in relation to budo.

He also said that souji (cleaning) was important.

Posted on: 2009/4/29 11:14

Village Old Timer
Group:
There are now English and spanish versions of the warning at the entrance of the Hombu. They basically state that if you are sick please stay away from the dojo.

I wonder how many people will head these warnings.

Posted on: 2009/5/1 8:51

Village Old Timer
From Matsudo City, Chiba, Japan
Group:
In today's news, NHK reported on a Yokohama swine flu victim - http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pi ... =a1k5uzAMJf5k&refer=japan

Please don't come to Hombu if you are sick with flu or a cold. Do your fellow budoka a kindness and stay away.

Meanwhile, Happy Golden Week holiday to everyone, and be safe.

Posted on: 2009/5/1 11:41

Villager
Group:
Quote:

侶武 wrote:
I wonder how many people will head these warnings.

I think those that it was meant for will heed it the least. If I had something I thought other people could get, I would not get as far as the honbu. I can just imagine the attitude of someone thinking that they have already paid a lot of money to get to Japan and rationalizing that the fear is overblown anyways.

I trained in a mask last time, not because I feel under the weather, but for the same reason I wear one on the trains now.

Posted on: 2009/5/1 16:23

Active Kutakian
From Belgium
Group:
I sincerely hope that people do listen, but doubt that they will. I've got allergies and have made even sure that I don't cough on anyone. If you're caughing and hacking, there's plenty more that you can do in Tokyo (than infecting people out in Noda).

As a BTW, they're asking anyone coming from North America or infected areas to check with authorities upon arrival at Narita. If you're sick and go straight through and end up infecting people later, authorities do say that you can be given a big fine, chucked in jail or deported.

THE Don Roley! I promised you a beer over on E-Budo the next time I (El Guapo-san) was in town, if memory serves correctly.

Posted on: 2009/5/16 0:11

« 1 (2) 3 »

Topic is Locked

[Advanced Search]

Today's Sponsor